Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 12:48:24 PM EDT
How do you deal with them, 3rd day since ive had a smoke, and im going crazy....

Ive been tryin to keep busy, chewing gum when i get a craving, but i still want a smoke in the worst way........

How did you guys that quit deal with it?

ETA: also on wellbutrin, 300mg a day to help with quitting
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I find that smoking a cigarette helps for a while.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Becoming a cage fighter is what helped me, with my nicky fits..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

works for me as well...

of course, you could try dip (Kodiak, Copenhagen, etc.)

I hear that stuff's harmless.

eta: mc nasty's cage fighting sounds like the top answer thus far.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Beat me to it!

Seriously.

1) It takes 72 hours for all of the nicotine to be processed out of your body. I believe that within a week all physical parts of it are done and gone, it is just habit after that. So everytime you feel like smoking do something else. You are at the most difficult time right now, so just wait it out and really pay attention to this one feeling - it will be over within 5 minutes.

2) Talk to or touch a loved one, then imagine missing 25% of what you have experienced with them. If that is a good trade then smoke away.

3) Take a trip down to a nursing home and watch someone smoking out of their neck.

ETA - Drink lots of water and stay physically and mentally busy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
this monitor sucks, and so does my resolution, so i thought the title said:

"how to deal with nicotine tits?"

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Masturbation?

ETA  people get annoyed at you if you have a nic fit on the subway or at the grocery store though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Nicotine patches are your friend.

Use them.  They work.  

The only problem you'll have then is defeating the oral fixation and finding something to stick in your mouth.  I found breath mints to be far better tasting than cigarettes and far less likely to cause lung cancer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Masturbation?

ETA  people get annoyed at you if you have a nic fit on the subway or at the grocery store though.

Dude, you post a lot about masterbating.  
On a serious note, you went three days!  Try the patch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nicotine patches are your friend.

Use them.  They work.  

The only problem you'll have then is defeating the oral fixation and finding something to stick in your mouth.  I found breath mints to be far better tasting than cigarettes and far less likely to cause lung cancer.

No patches!

The problem is the nicotine in the first place. Quit taking it into your system.

The thing is that most people who are trying to "quit" don't really want to. They like smoking and the only reason they occasionaly pause and put up a shallow attempt at quitting is being guilted by family/media/etc or thinking it is about time to do so.

Number one lesson - If you don't REALLY want to quit for the rest of your life don't even bother.

If you do want to quit - then just quit. Don't build it up into your head as some kind of impossible task. All the little tricks and aids and all that bullshit aren't gonna make a bit of difference. If there really was a "cure" for it other than persistance and willpower there would only be one, instead of a hundered "best ways".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Masturbation?

There is a Masturbation patch?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Masturbation?

When you find one, let me know.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Masturbation?

Cool!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I find a hit off the crack pipe keeps my mind off nicotine for a bit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
throw a big ol' lipper in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#16]
You obviously need a big ole bump of ketamine.
Know any veternarians?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
throw a big ol' lipper in.

+1

seriously though, that is how I quit...2 cans of skoal straight later I was nicotine free...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Given that you've already stopped smoking, the nicotine gum would be more ideal, NOT the patch.  You pop a piece in your mouth when you get a craving and it really helps.  Sure, some people will argue that continuing to take nicotine in will only hurt your efforts, which to some extent is true.  However, using nicotine gum to deal with ocassional spikes in craving is a much better alternative to smoking, not to mention it makes the process of quitting much more tolerable.

Trust me on the above information.  I quit smoking about 5 months ago.  I used the patch, then went to the gum.  The gum is what really helped through the hard times.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How do you deal with them, 3rd day since ive had a smoke, and im going crazy....

Ive been tryin to keep busy, chewing gum when i get a craving, but i still want a smoke in the worst way........

Personally, I just pick up a mallet and hit myself in the balls with it.......I guarantee you wont want to smoke a cigarette for sometime!

ETA: Good luck! You gotta wanna quit before ANYTHING will work!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
<Snip> No patches! <Snip>

Horse shit.  

We're talking about a man's life here.  This is no time for hairy chested "It's all in your mind" crap (which only leads to endless, repugnant droning about "ballsacks" and "cowboying up"...a phrase that will never be the same after Brokeback Mountain ).  Nicotine patches will drastically reduce the shitty withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting cold turkey.  By weaning himself off the substance he's addicted to he stands a FAR greater chance of quitting permanently.  

It doesn't matter how he quits, just that he quits.  I would wager that I've beaten more addictions than most people (the only one I have left is coffee) and by all rights should have been dead years ago.  Cold turkey is the most difficult way to defeat an addiction and it's the least successful method.

Now, our friend here may be allergic to them or something (but I doubt it).  Also, you're right about one thing: one does have to have a strong desire to quit for good.  That said, I think that if he has went three days without lighting up he's proven he has what it takes to quit one way or the other.  My advice is to make it as pain-free as possible.  He shouldn't torture himself needlessly because the less torturous the quitting process is the more likely he is to succeed.

I smoked for over 20 years and it amazed me how easy quitting was with the aid of nicoderm.  However, to each his own.  It's up to him to decide whose advice to follow.

He can go "cowboys and ballsacks" or do it the easy way: with the help of modern chemistry.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Hypnosis is what helped my mom.   Hasn't had a smoke in 11 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You obviously need a big ole bump of ketamine.
Know any veternarians?

Actually,  I did odd jobs for the local vet last summer.....

Mow the yards, clean his horse stalls, fuck his wife , worked at the vet clinic, ect....
just kiddin about the wife part....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I do 10-15 pushups everytime I crave one.

Start run/walking everyday it helps, a little.

But it comes down to will power.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I quit 4 1/2 years ago using Nicorette as a help.  It sure did and I'm very glad I quit.  I don't think I'd be here today if I hadn't quit.

HH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I quit 4 1/2 years ago using Nicorette as a help.  It sure did and I'm very glad I quit.  I don't think I'd be here today if I hadn't quit.

HH

would it make the 72 hrs start again if i had like 5 hits off a smoke?  im dyin over here....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

You'd be very disappointed in yourself.  The reality is: the 1st 3 days are the hardest because it's phyisical...the rest is psychological.  You can do-if you really want to.  Believe me, it ain't worth it.

HH

would it make the 72 hrs start again if i had like 5 hits off a smoke?  im dyin over here....

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
well...... i didnt smoke.  And im not gonna,  well arfcome, ill be back later
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Snip> No patches! <Snip>

Horse shit.  

We're talking about a man's life here.  This is no time for hairy chested "It's all in your mind" crap (which only leads to endless, repugnant droning about "ballsacks" and "cowboying up"...a phrase that will never be the same after Brokeback Mountain ).  Nicotine patches will drastically reduce the shitty withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting cold turkey.  By weaning himself off the substance he's addicted to he stands a FAR greater chance of quitting permanently.  

It doesn't matter how he quits, just that he quits.  I would wager that I've beaten more addictions than most people (the only one I have left is coffee) and by all rights should have been dead years ago.  Cold turkey is the most difficult way to defeat an addiction and it's the least successful method.

Now, our friend here may be allergic to them or something (but I doubt it).  Also, you're right about one thing: one does have to have a strong desire to quit for good.  That said, I think that if he has went three days without lighting up he's proven he has what it takes to quit one way or the other.  My advice is to make it as pain-free as possible.  He shouldn't torture himself needlessly because the less torturous the quitting process is the more likely he is to succeed.

I smoked for over 20 years and it amazed me how easy quitting was with the aid of nicoderm.  However, to each his own.  It's up to him to decide whose advice to follow.

He can go "cowboys and ballsacks" or do it the easy way: with the help of modern chemistry.  

I guess.................

The worst part of the withdrawl is the first three days. And he's done that. I don't think he needs to use an aid - he already has beaten it. Now he just needs to stick his path.

Personally I think the real problem is people don't want to quit. They want an excuse, a rough day at work, a really strong craving, an "unbeatable addiction" - to smoke again.

If using an aid helped you then good for you and congratulations on quiting.

All bullshit aside it comes down to one simple thing though: never smoke another cigarette. You do that and you have quit.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

Don't do it man!

That "dying" feeling is actually your body starting to live. You have just been killing yourself for so long you have forgotten what it feels like.

Stick with it buddy!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Hot showers and often. Hot as you can stand it for as long as you can stay in there. It will be worth all the suffering when you kick the smokes, trust me. Keep your eye on the long term goal. Didn't read the rest of the thread, but i am sure others covered the caffeine and sugar issues. Good Luck man and stick with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hot showers and often. Hot as you can stand it for as long as you can stay in there. It will be worth all the suffering when you kick the smokes, trust me. Keep your eye on the long term goal. Didn't read the rest of the thread, but i am sure others covered the caffeine and sugar issues. Good Luck man and stick with it.

Nope.

You will be more sensitive to caffeine so cut your intake. Nicotine releases insulin so make sure to spread your meals out more evenly and eat more regularly through the day to keep your blood sugar a little more even.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

You will be more sensitive to caffeine so cut your intake. Nicotine releases insulin so make sure to spread your meals out more evenly and eat more regularly through the day to keep your blood sugar a little more even.

So i quit smoking and that makes me more sensitive to caffeine?  WTF, who invented these rules

jk
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a marb 27 right now inbetween my lips but not lit.......  actually isnt making me go crazy  

its just the routiene thats getting me,  i smoke when i drive, i smoke when i shit......

WTF am i supposed to do when i drive n shit???
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#35]
unfortunatly i kicked one habbit and picked up another... i started biting my finger nails...  seriously... its 50X harder to quit for me than smoking ever was.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
WTF am i supposed to do when i drive n shit???

You'll just learn not to think about it eventually.  You either want to quit or you don't.  Quit being a pussy, and stop thinking about smoking.

Get rid of all your cigs so it isn't even an option and put it out of your mind.

I quit last year.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Im on day number 6 of no smokes...

Im getting my ass kicked, but that is just the way it is going to have to be for a bit.

I just figure that there are 100 more smokes for everyone else thanks to me.

What can I say?.... Im a giving person!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Im on day number 6 of no smokes...

Im getting my ass kicked, but that is just the way it is going to have to be for a bit.

I just figure that there are 100 more smokes for everyone else thanks to me.

What can I say?.... Im a giving person!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#39]
i tried wellbutrin on a whim, and it actually made me want to smoke more.  the craving decreased once i quit taking it.

when i want to cut down on cigarettes, i drink water.  every time i think about smoking, i drink until i can't drink anymore.  the negative association actually works, and the water is good for me.  when i'm writing a lot, i get up over 3 packs a day.  going on the water usually drops me down to less than a pack a day within 48 hours, and i stay that way for a few months.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top