Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:07:22 AM EDT
I need to have my lower two wisdom teeth removed. I've never needed any dental work before other than routine cleanings. This will have to be done by an oral surgeon and I don't want to get ripped off on the charges. I don't have dental insurance so I will be paying cash. What should I expect to pay?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:15:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 7:17:27 AM EDT by Phil_A_Steen]
I'll do it for $25.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
Bottle of Jim Beam $14.00

Pliers $5.00
$19.00

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:15:28 AM EDT
I will do it for $200 cash.

I don't know I still have my wisdom teeth.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:16:36 AM EDT
Why would an oral surgeon be required? My regular dentist did mine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:45 AM EDT
I just had mine done. The charge will vary according to how impacted the teeth are; i.e. the more impacted, the more work for the oral surgeon, and the more it will cost. Worst-case is probably about $800, but the price probably varies according to where you live.

If you don't have insurance, best bet is to shop around for the best price. And if you do have insurance but not dental, check your policy. Sometimes oral surgery will be covered when regular dental procedures aren't.

Recovery advice: Do what they tell you. No smoking for at least a week, no drinking out of straws. Dry socket is something you don't want to experience.

Expect to be dopey for two or three days if they give you a general anaesthetic. DO NOT try to drive the day you have the surgery, and avoid it the second day if you can.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:25:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:

If they're impacted, a regular dentist ordinarily won't touch 'em. That's what happened to me.

If they're not impacted and they've come all the way through, they can be pulled like normal teeth.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:28:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SkullFarmer:

Originally Posted By markm:

If they're impacted, a regular dentist ordinarily won't touch 'em. That's what happened to me.

If they're not impacted and they've come all the way through, they can be pulled like normal teeth.

I'm pretty sure mine were impacted. In any case, I'm glad that is a distant memory!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
do you have regular medical insurance?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:00:13 AM EDT
i have to have mine pulled on the 22nd of this month and im supposed to go to work the next day but i may have to see if i can get the day off.

how bad is the pain from having wisdom teeth pulled.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:03:08 AM EDT
I have a consultation for having mine pulled this Friday.

I'm thirty-flipping-four years old. When I was 13 and getting braces on they told me they'd pulled enough teeth to make room for my wisdom teeth. I'm not exactly thrilled about this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:06:57 AM EDT
tell them to keep yuo awake for all four...lots of fun to watch!!! crunching and scalpels...

...oh wait , dont do what I did....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:14:33 AM EDT
I didn't have any insurance,and just told the dentist that,and flat out asked what he'd charge in cash. It was either $200 or $250 per side.(1980 dollars!) Two were impacted.He was up on my chest PRYING on one of them.The other,he split in two then extracted.All the while telling me about the horrible things people had in their teeth/mouths,and craning his head to watch Barney Miller on the TV.He was a Army reservist dentist,kept saying he didn't have to be good.His office was in his house and his wife was the tech. He wound up having to stitch a little to close one up. This was one the one side.I promptly drove to Florida and stayed good and lit.Oh,yeah-dry socket sucks.And I can still taste the infection.He was a fine dentist,and a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By crazyhorse705:
i have to have mine pulled on the 22nd of this month and im supposed to go to work the next day but i may have to see if i can get the day off.

After the Novicane waers off it's pretty bad don't even think of going to work the next day. I had all 4 pulled at the same time WOW. Follow post-op instruction I didn't and got dry-socket and let me tell you thats the most painful thing you'll ever experience.......Good Luck

IBAll the guy's who say they didn't have Novicane During Extraction
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:26:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Carhlr:

After the Novicane waers off it's pretty bad don't even think of going to work the next day. I had all 4 pulled at the same time WOW. Follow post-op instruction I didn't and got dry-socket and let me tell you thats the most painful thing you'll ever experience.......Good Luck

IBAll the guy's who say they didn't have Novicane During Extraction

Pfft.

I had IV sedation, screw the local crap. I dealt with 2 ex-g/f's who had their taken out who bawled for like 2 days straight each afterwards because it hurt.
I was out for about 8hrs on the IV sedation but the next day, I was fine. It felt a little tight in the gums and some bleeding but no pain whatsoever.

I couldnt imagine it without IV. Y'all are some crazy fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:29:23 AM EDT
I know of a good oral surgeon that will fix you right up...

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:30:30 AM EDT
cost me $1500 to get 4 pulled last year. it was teh suck, but nothing like hernia surgery
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:36:22 AM EDT
Friend of mine woke up during the third tooth being pulled. He was strapped down, and mumbling the doctor puts his hand on my friend's head and says "hold on" and pulls!

He later found out that he is one of the few people that don't fully react to anestesia(sp?) and they would have knocked him back out but they were doign training and didn't want to have to put if off any longer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:44:12 AM EDT
we have a place around here that does false teeth and they charge $50 a tooth plus $50 for full mouth x-rays.so alot of people around here that can't afford a dentist and they decide that a tooth needs pulled they all go there.they will advise you if it really needs pulled or not before pulling it.

they will make false teeth in one day after your mouth heals.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:57:59 AM EDT
get a sedation IV, believe me its worth it. You sit down, they stick the IV in, you go to sleep instantinously, wake up and your done. Oral surgery is one of those things you dont want to be awake for. Try and get it done on friday if you dont work weekends so that you can recover over the weekend. Also the sooner you can get off of maxidone or whatever narcotic they give you for pain the better. I had mine done and took one pill then the rest of the time was tylenol, otherwise you will be all dopey for a week and wont be worth shit at your job. Oh yeah eat a steak or whatever you really like the day before cus it will be a while till you you can have one again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:01:12 AM EDT
There's one of those study's going on in Austin. You can have them removed for free, and then they pay you for trying out the new pain med they're trying to come up with. I got the damned placebo....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:07:39 AM EDT
Get the good drugs, The hardest part is showing up for the procedure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:15:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By txwxgirl:
I got the damned placebo....

To HELL with that! I want a morpine drip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:

Originally Posted By txwxgirl:
I got the damned placebo....

To HELL with that! I want a morpine drip.

I wish I had it too!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:20:59 AM EDT
The pain isn't that bad. It's more of a constant ache in your jaw. The main thing you will probably deal with is that your mouth will be full of blood and it runs down your throat into your stomach and upsets it. Also, depending on the drugs you get afterwards, you may not be in any condition to go to work the next day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:36:45 AM EDT
I got mine out back in 87' right before I got out of the Air Force. 5 needles in the mouth (one in each wisdom tooth and then one in the roof of the mouth) and the guy went to work on me. Was awake during the whole thing.

The needles to the teeth weren't too bad, but the one to the roof of the mouth damn near sent me thru the ceiling.

Good luck.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:04:04 PM EDT
How bad is swelling and soreness after the procedure? Something tells me it might be a few days before I will be shooting my FAL.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:15:21 PM EDT

The worst part is not eating much and taking vicodin. The pain is not bad at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
Uncle Sam pulled mine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:55:56 PM EDT
Mine was almost 2K . Insureence paid for most. Most of the Expense was for the medical side. I think the Dental side was only 300 bucks compared to about 1700 in medical.....

Oh and TEA BAGs get some, they help prevent drysockets and they are cheaper than gause (sp).
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:56:50 PM EDT
it cost me $1400 for 4 of em
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:00:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

The worst part is not eating much and taking vicodin. The pain is not bad at all.

so that is what they give you for pain cool then i should be alright im used to vicodin because when i had surgery on my shoulder last year that is what they gave me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:05:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:
How bad is swelling and soreness after the procedure? Something tells me it might be a few days before I will be shooting my FAL.

$1600 for all 4 of mine. They gave me vallium,and my gums were numed so it really wasn't that bad, the only pain during the procedure was when they pulled the root; but it only hurt for a second. Before I got my Vicotin(yeah I'm a pussy) my gums started to throb, but the vicotin helped alot.

My face swelled alot, my friends thought this was hilarious, especially when we went to the gun show, I probably looked like an idiot(BTW I wasn't on Vicotin anymore) but it went down after a while, and I only needed the pain meds for the first day, advil helped well enough after that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:07:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Disco_Stu_TX:
get a sedation IV, believe me its worth it. You sit down, they stick the IV in, you go to sleep instantinously, wake up and your done. Oral surgery is one of those things you dont want to be awake for. Try and get it done on friday if you dont work weekends so that you can recover over the weekend. Also the sooner you can get off of maxidone or whatever narcotic they give you for pain the better. I had mine done and took one pill then the rest of the time was tylenol, otherwise you will be all dopey for a week and wont be worth shit at your job. Oh yeah eat a steak or whatever you really like the day before cus it will be a while till you you can have one again.

Yup, that is exactly how it went for me too. They put in an IV and said count back from 10. I think I got to 7 and the next thing I know they are waking me up saying it went well. I took the pain pills for the first night and then it was tylenol for about 3 days. I also had to take antibiotics for a and did what they said to avoid dry socket.

I forget what it cost, but insurance covered a lot of it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:37:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bookertbab:

Originally Posted By Disco_Stu_TX:

Yup, that is exactly how it went for me too. They put in an IV and said count back from 10. I think I got to 7 and the next thing I know they are waking me up saying it went well. I took the pain pills for the first night and then it was tylenol for about 3 days. I also had to take antibiotics for a and did what they said to avoid dry socket.

I forget what it cost, but insurance covered a lot of it.

"Count backwards from 10"

"doc, isnt it 100?"

"No, 10"

"10.....9....8....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Top Top