Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2006 7:39:36 PM EDT
kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4747748&nav=HMO6

Dozens of protestors and counter protestors showed up in front of Tucson’s Mexican Consulate as a Mexican flag was burned in a heated debate that saw tempers flare.

Border Guardians, a group formed along the Arizona border to speak out against the estimated thousands of illegal immigrants that enter the U.S. every day through the Tucson sector, led the protest.

“Flags are symbols of government, not of people," shouted Roy Warden, as a member of his group, Border Guardians, set foot to the Mexican Flag.

One woman speaking out against the Border Guardians yelled, “This is not a gesture of humanity, this is a gesture that provokes.”

As a handful of journalists, and people from both sides of the debate huddled around, members of Border Guardians set fire to Mexico’s flag.

“We have declared this our day, and our moment of expression," said Warden.

The demonstration began before the flag burning as protestors verbally sparred with ACLU members showed up to observe the event.

One man stomped, and danced on the Mexican flag. He also taunted the empty, Mexican Consulate to express the group's view:

"(This protest) is against the Mexican government and the Mexicans that are illegally present in the United States right now," says Laine Lawless, Director of Border Guardians, “I want the American people to know that we're going to stand up for them."

Roy Warden added, “You may not enter our country without our permission.”

Juan Manuel Calderon Jaimez, the highest ranking official at the Mexican Consulate here in Tucson, was unable to comment on the groups flag-burning.

However, we did talk to some Mexican nationals here in the U.S. who witnessed the event, and their opinions varied.

“I think it's dangerous,” says Liz Moreno, a naturalized U.S. citizen originally from Mexico , “and I don't think it's right, burning the flag."

Another woman present, identifying herself as a legal immigrant from Mexico, said, “It’s their right to do it, although (I don’t) support their actions.”

A half-dozen observers from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) also showed up. Caroly Trowbidge, an ACLU spokesperson, said, “We are here to make sure that everybody's first amendment rights are respected."

In an effort to mock the popular chant “Si se puede”, or “Yes You Can”, used by the millions of marchers who’ve protested in support of illegal immigrants, the Border Guardians also began shouting “NO SE PUEDE, NO SE PUEDEO.”

Moreno added, “It made me angry, and it hurt me."

In response to some people calling his group racist, Warden said, “Our movement is of all colors of skin. It has nothing to do with racism."

Warden says the group's action's were not specifically targeting the people of Mexico.

“We stand for the Mexican people,” says Warden.

“I’m picking more on their government than anything else, because their government promotes their illegal status here," said Lawless.

Members of the Border Guardians tell News 4, they also plan on burning more Mexican flags at some of the mass marches planned throughout the week.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps a No se puede T-shirt?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No habla?

Then gtfo
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
They had a protest ...  sorry, it was a "support rally" in Moline, Illinois yesterday.

It was organized by a white american male.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
stop being rascist a-holes
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Burning a Mexican flag seems kind of stupid.

I mean, isn't THAT where we want the people to go?

On the contrary, there should be a nationw... er, national campaign telling people about all the prosperity and quality of life in Mexico and how it's improving.

Make them want to go home.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We are not being racist,we just dont like criminals.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You mean La Raza Assholes?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Racist?  I'll have you konw you'll never hear this gringo say "I hate fucking mexicans!"

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Racist?  I'll have you konw you'll never hear this gringo say "I hate fucking mexicans!"

That's right big guy, i say send half of them home.........keep the women here.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right big guy, i say send half of them home.........keep the women here.......

Alot of them look like they have become true Americans,they are fat.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You don't know how to spell "racist" and you're going to moralize to others?

Your application for "Arfcom Milktoast Pontificator in Residence" is not getting off to a good start.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hit the road, vato.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Rock on Border Guardians!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Race has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Go away troll.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Iran or Mexico?? Screw it - nuke both.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
With all the disrespect of the American flag by the illegals, it's about time someone burned a Mexican flag. That's one thing they take seriously. You can call them law breakers all day long and they don't care, but stomp on their nationalistic pride and it starts to sink in that we aren't just joking.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No We Can??  How about; No you can't! = ¡ningún usted no puede!

Shok
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away troll.

Agreed, trolls are not welcome.

The only thing better than a burning mexican flag would be a burning u.n. flag. Even better would be the u.n. building in NYC being reduced to ashes. Maybe someday...

Scott

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#20]

The demonstration began before the flag burning as protestors verbally sparred with ACLU members showed up to observe the event.

A half-dozen observers from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) also showed up. Caroly Trowbidge, an ACLU spokesperson, said, “We are here to make sure that everybody's first amendment rights are respected."

ACLU can bite me too, now they're the Illegal Mexican Civil Liberties Union
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They had a protest ...  sorry, it was a "support rally" in Moline, Illinois yesterday.

It was organized by a white american male.

Well, the Stalinst WWP affiliated boys at ANSWER are now helping work the "pro-illegal" protests, so that's to be expected. They see it as a way of destroying America.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know how to spell "racist" and you're going to moralize to others?

Your application for "Arfcom Milktoast Pontificator in Residence" is not getting off to a good start.

Um....I think you mean "Miquetoast"....

I think you both meant "Milquetoast"
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ACLU can bite me too, now they're the Illegal Mexican Civil Liberties Union

the ACLU was there on the side of the flag burners.  believe it or not, they DO occasionally do something good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
With all the disrespect of the American flag by the illegals, it's about time someone burned a Mexican flag. That's one thing they take seriously. You can call them law breakers all day long and they don't care, but stomp on their nationalistic pride and it starts to sink in that we aren't just joking.

Exactly
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Blah, blah, blah...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right big guy, i say send most of them home.........keep the hot women here.......

fixed

Mexican women are either drop dead gorgeous or freaking gargoils
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of you are the first to be up in arms when people burn or disrespect the American flag and then you turn around and support others doing the same thing? You're just as racist and childish as la raza or whatever fucking stupid group.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go away troll.

+1 And learn to spell.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Most of you are the first to be up in arms when people burn or disrespect the American flag and then you turn around and support others doing the same thing? You're just as racist and childish as la raza or whatever fucking stupid group.

I think you have been eating to much cheese!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

exactly,  Just as them mexicans, it's all about the "Me" generation.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you have been eating to too much cheese!

I guess they stopped teaching English along with Evolution in Kansas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I think you both meant "Milquetoast"

I know it's "milquetoast".  I was meaning to say "milksop" and started thinking about Ann Coulter calling someone a "milquetoast" and fucked it up.

Correct pejorative or not, you will note that "racist" is spelled correctly.

Now.  You may detach your fangs from my ass and reimplant them in the milksop.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You know, its probably because they are Americans. When someone burns your flag you get upset. When you burn an enemys flag you like it.

So I should be enraged when we killed Iraqis? Or should I have been ok when I saw them cutting American heads off? I am confused.

I am American, I dont like to see my flag burned, I am not mexican, I dont care if thier flag is burned, if I was mexican I would be pissed, but I am not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, its probably because they are Americans. When someone burns your flag you get upset. When you burn an enemys flag you like it.

So I should be enraged when we killed Iraqis? Or should I have been ok when I saw them cutting American heads off? I am confused.

I am American, I dont like to see my flag burned, I am not mexican, I dont care if thier flag is burned, if I was mexican I would be pissed, but I am not.

I'm just advocating treating others as you would like them to treat you. Or taking the moral high ground and being above such petty shit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just advocating treating others as you would like them to treat you. Or taking the moral high ground and being above such petty shit.

How about treating others as they treat you? They fly my flag upside down and under theirs, I burn theirs.

The moral high ground leaves you up in the air alone, while your city is burned and looted. Actions, not holier than though feelings accomplish things.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

like calling people racists so you can claim a halo for your tolerance?

Here's a good for the goose / good for the gander analogy:

If I went to mexico illegally, demanded they give me government benefits, then took down their flags, hung them upside down, and raised the US flag above theirs, I'd damn well expect them to burn my flag as a protest of my actions.

It's not about race, it's about their actions. Many hispanics on this board are pissed about the whole  illegal invasion now. Does that make them racists against their own race?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#38]
That's why you hold the high ground, in order to shoot them before they can burn your city.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That's why you hold the high ground, in order to shoot them before they can burn your city.

Well I can agree with you on that one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#40]

With all the disrespect of the American flag by the illegals, it's about time someone burned a Mexican flag. That's one thing they take seriously. You can call them law breakers all day long and they don't care, but stomp on their nationalistic pride and it starts to sink in that we aren't just joking

I don't think flag burning is ever neccesarily effective or useful, but I sure as hell wont say they can't do it, while we allow everyone that hates America to do it to our flag.

If it's OK for them to do it, then it's OK for those expressing their displeasure with Mexico to do it.

I'm tired of "the good guys" always trying to play nice while everyone else plays hardball. Start giving them some hardball back.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#41]
My American flag has been flying upside down for quite a while now.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you have been eating to too much cheese!

I guess they stopped teaching English along with Evolution in Kansas.

Your right they don't teach English here anymore.  SORRY!  Demasiado queso!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I live in Tucson and the fact that it happened here in Tucson is sort of surprising, seeing as Tucson is a lib/dem town.
Saying that people down here are getting fed up with the inaction on the boarder. It's now starting to affect more then the fruit and veggie pickers, construction is a field that if your not hispanic-
don't think about getting into this field.

To wrap it up boo-hoo they burned a Mexican flag cry me a river, next time make it out of Nomex.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#44]
The lawyers are on this now and it won't stop until they quit being paid.  

I'm surprised Mexicans don't want to burn their own flag.  I surprised they have such pride in a country that does so poorly by them and literally forces them to leave to find work, education and probably even clean water.  I guess they're remembering the "good old days"....

If there's any country that's in "distress" and needs their flag flown upside down, Mexico would be good candidate.

I guess Mexicans need Americans to do the jobs they don't want to do, like burn the Mexican flag in protest.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

With all the disrespect of the American flag by the illegals, it's about time someone burned a Mexican flag. That's one thing they take seriously. You can call them law breakers all day long and they don't care, but stomp on their nationalistic pride and it starts to sink in that we aren't just joking

I don't think flag burning is ever neccesarily effective or useful, but I sure as hell wont say they can't do it, while we allow everyone that hates America to do it to our flag.

If it's OK for them to do it, then it's OK for those expressing their displeasure with Mexico to do it.

I'm tired of "the good guys" always trying to play nice while everyone else plays hardball. Start giving them some hardball back.

+1  Being the nice guy does'nt always work my friends.  There is a time and place for everything.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The French version of "drinking the koolaid"
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#47]
The main point is that American citizens are sick and tired of having illegal immigrants draining resources set aside for American citizens.  The main emphasis is on Mexican immigrants since a vast majority of illegal immigrants are from Mexico.  If there are tons of Canadians crossing the border into the U.S., Americans would be pissed at the illegal Canadian immigrants.  I want a mass crackdown on all illegal immigrants.  Like I said, the spotlight is on illegal Mexican immigrants since there are more of them than other nationality groups.

The illegal immigrants and their supporters want it to be a race issue since it throws a smokescreen over the real problems of them sucking up social services and other tax-paid services set aside for American citizens.  To add to the smokescreen, they say their plight is similar to the civil rights movement of black Americans.  I don't see the similarities.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#48]
.<--- Worlds smallest violin.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
.<--- Worlds smallest violin.

You need to submit that to the Guiness Book of World Records.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The French version of "drinking the koolaid"

I think the "eating cheese" comment is in reference to me living in Wisconsin. I guess it went over your head, being filled with air and all since you live in California.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top