Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
line item veto.......or

bills must be limited in scope to the title of the bill.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the 24th eliminates the poll tax, which was fairly common until 1964, the 26th allows 18 year olds to vote and the 27th prohibits Congress from raising their own salaries.

I'm all for have some type of test  or requierment to be in place for people to vote.  I mjust want to keep freeloading dumbasses (and corrporations too) from affecting public policey.

I'd also like a law regarding spell checking, or better, redo english so it is phonetic spelled only.

You are officially ineligible to vote.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
the President of the United States will be elected strictly by count of popular vote.

(I swear this has nothing to do with Bush or Rutherford Hayes or anyone else.  Having said that, I'm prepared to get barbecued.)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
the 24th eliminates the poll tax, which was fairly common until 1964, the 26th allows 18 year olds to vote and the 27th prohibits Congress from raising their own salaries.

I'm all for have some type of test  or requierment to be in place for people to vote.  I mjust want to keep freeloading dumbasses (and corrporations too) from affecting public policey.

I'd also like a law regarding spell checking, or better, redo english so it is phonetic spelled only.

You are officially ineligible to vote.[/quote

thats funny
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to decide between a few biggies but I'm leaning towards term limits for Congressmen.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i would fix the FREAKING commerce clause!!!!

Amen. That POS is the most abused clause in the entire Constitution. Congress has used it to get their nasty hooks into everything, often with no other legitimate basis.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the President of the United States will be elected strictly by count of popular vote.

(I swear this has nothing to do with Bush or Rutherford Hayes or anyone else.  Having said that, I'm prepared to get barbecued.)

That would turn control of this nation over to highly populated states and urban centers. It would result in these portions of the population taking an even bigger crap on us then they are now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are officially ineligible to vote.

Meh.. so. I don't vote anyway.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
No law may infringe upon the legal right of the individual person to keep and bear arms, or the type of arms thereof.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So to put it more strongly: WTF?

You're right, I shouldn't have brought up religion. The argument struck me as coming from a pretty strongly religious base, so I would assume that a lib would yell "theocracy." Nothing more, nothing less.

I've not been one of the usual suspects of christian bashers and I don't plan on starting now. Sorry to anyone I offended.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what would it be?  

That the original 14 Amendments , known as The Bill of Rights, cannot be altered, amended, or re-written in any way, shape, or form. And that these 14 Amendments will be the basis for the "Laws of the Land".

No one caught this????????  The first ten amendments are the bill of rights not the first 14.  There were originally 12 but the last two were not ratified.  One later became the 27th.

Edited to say sorry to Jarhead my fellow Ohioan.  I did not want to ruffle your feathers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what would it be?  

That the original 14 Amendments , known as The Bill of Rights, cannot be altered, amended, or re-written in any way, shape, or form. And that these 14 Amendments will be the basis for the "Laws of the Land".

No one caught this????????  The first ten amendments are the bill of rights not the first 14.  There were originally 12 but the last two were not ratified.  One later became the 27th.

Edited to say sorry to Jarhead my fellow Ohioan.  I did not want to ruffle your feathers.

I caught it but didn't pounce. To my understanding, it was the first two that were not passed, the last ten were. And for the bill of rights we can thank, primarily, Rep. James Madison.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would turn control of this nation over to highly populated states and urban centers. It would result in these portions of the population taking an even bigger crap on us then they are now.

Isn't the Electoral College based on states' populations anyway?  So what gives?  Cut out the middle man.

The results of a direct popular vote might not be savory, but I think it's the only right way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Leakycow, the electoral college is in fact based on states populations. However it is a very good thing. Without it, the population centers would choose the President again and again, leading to very serious issues as the small states struggled for some say in the presidential election.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Jefferson proposed 15 Amendments, including a prohibition on monoplies, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what would it be?  

I caught it but didn't pounce. To my understanding, it was the first two that were not passed, the last ten were. And for the bill of rights we can thank, primarily, Rep. James Madison.

Ding Ding Ding you are correct sir!!!!!  The Original first amendment dealt with representation and the second dealt with compensation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Here you go looked it up for everyone:

Article the first [Not Ratified]
After the first enumeration required by the first article of the Constitution, there shall be one Representative for every thirty thousand, until the number shall amount to one hundred, after which the proportion shall be so regulated by Congress, that there shall be not less than one hundred Representatives, nor less than one Representative for every forty thousand persons, until the number of Representatives shall amount to two hundred; after which the proportion shall be so regulated by Congress, that there shall not be less than two hundred Representatives, nor more than one Representative for every fifty thousand persons.

Article the second [27th Amendment - Ratified 1992]
No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Fix the # of justices of the Supreme Court.  That way the next FDR can't threaten to stack the court and disempower it.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No law may be enacted nor enforced where no party other than the actor has suffered demonstrable grievances as a direct result of the action.

(In other words, no more victimless crimes)

w00t!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't the Electoral College based on states' populations anyway?  So what gives?  Cut out the middle man.

No, it is based on the total number of representatives, both House and Senate. Each state has 2 senators regardless of population.

The results of a direct popular vote might not be savory, but I think it's the only right way.

Your opinion is based on ignorance, and inexperience with the political process, as well as a lack of appreciation for the ramifications of the change you espouse.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is based on the total number of representatives, both House and Senate. Each state has 2 senators regardless of population.

Your opinion is based on ignorance, and inexperience with the political process, as well as a lack of appreciation for the ramifications of the change you espouse.

ignorance:  very well could be

inexperience with the political process: what sort of experience do you espouse?  Or if you're referring to my statement that the E.C. is based on states' populations, well, we're both right...the ratios aren't proportional to population, but North Dakota's getting fucked by Texas, regardless.

ramifications:  and what would those be?  here are some:  republicans in California would get out to vote.  democrats in Oklahoma would get out to vote.  Everyone's vote would be equal in the ONE election where every citizen in the country participates.  As it stands now with the skewed-population-based E.C. system, it's akin to 50 Missouri Compromises.  Your vote in California is really worth 5/9 of what it should be (I'm just making up fractions for argument's sake).  Your vote in Wyoming is likewise inflated in worth to 11/7 votes.  

When it comes to the one job in the entire country that is selected by the general citizenry, leave it a direct vote.  States don't need to play a role in it.  If South Dakota feels its unfair to have such a small say in the presidency, tough fucking luck...you don't have nearly as many citizens as Ohio.

Flame suit back on in preparation for vague attacks on my lack of understanding of how the system works.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Any elected servant of the people of the USofA will serve no more than two terms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The government, who is a government of the people, shall be subject to ALL laws which it creates.

This one amendment would clear up a whole lot of garbage. Think about taxes, firearms, land property ect.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Editd the 2nd amendment.  The right of individual american citizens to keep and bear arms, Rifle or pistol, shall not be infringed or abridged by any part of the local, state, or federal government.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what would it be?  

That all residents should take civics until it sticks.  And that they should know the difference between the Civil War Amendments and the Bill of Rights.

Shooter
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Amendment XXVIII

Congress shall not pass any legislation not found to be CONSTITUTIONAL
by a majority of the Supreme Court of the United States before the signature
of the President enacting the aforementioned legislation.
The Supreme Court shall have a maximum of thirty days to decide
the constitutionality of the legislation. If the Supreme Court cannot decide
constitutionality within thirty days, then the particular legislation shall be
considered null and void.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Amendment XXVIII

so what happens when the president simply appoints  justices to the supreme court which agree with his big-government unconstitutional views?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Amendment XXVIII

so what happens when the president simply appoints  justices to the supreme court which agree with his big-government unconstitutional views?

Filibuster.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]

now that i think of it, if i could make another change to the constitution, it would have to do with appointing supreme court justices.  each new justice should be appointed by the outgoing justice, not by the president.  when the new justice takes power, s/he should designate an "heir" to the court seat in case s/he is incapacitated.

in this way, every judge on the supreme court today would have been a direct succession from the original justices.  and i bet they would interpret the constitution a hell of a lot more strictly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Section 1.
The nineteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

Section 2.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#32]
All Federal laws will expire five years to the day after they are signed into law. Congress must reauthorize (subject to a Presidential veto) any extension to a Federal law, however all such reauthorizations must be specifically made and can not be part of any joint authorizations, and in no case may any reauthorization be for longer than five years.

And.

No bill shall be passed into law or reauthorized unless it receives at least a two thirds majority in both Houses of Congress, with the exception of tax or revenue bills which shall require at least a three fourths majority.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
now that i think of it, if i could make another change to the constitution, it would have to do with appointing supreme court justices.  each new justice should be appointed by the outgoing justice, not by the president.  when the new justice takes power, s/he should designate an "heir" to the court seat in case s/he is incapacitated.

in this way, every judge on the supreme court today would have been a direct succession from the original justices.  and i bet they would interpret the constitution a hell of a lot more strictly.

Would you still use the advice and consent of the Senate? Without vetting of the appointee (as opposed to skewering), the old justice might make a pick that is not even close to his own philosophy. Additionally, I see no check or balance here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd make it a hanging offense to mess with the original Bill of Rights.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Just one?  That's tough.  I would consider repealing the 17th amendment, direct election of Senators.

www.articlev.com/repeal17.htm

As originally conceived, the Senate is the "upper" house, the one that is immune to the sways of public opinion ... and public dollar$.

Unfortunately, they are answerable to constituents now, just like the House, and they get votes directly proportional to how many dollars they bring into their state.

One of the things that helped ruin modern America.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How about this:

No elected official shall have previously earned enough income in any given year to be in the top five percent of the population.

No elected official shall hold any collegiate degree beyond the rank of Master's degree.

No elected official shall be or have been a lawyer by trade or have attended more than four years of law school.

No elected official shall be or have been a member of the board of directors or held any high value position with any Fortune 500 company.

The idea is to keep the elected officials at a level where they are in touch with what the common man thinks.   Academic knotheads aren't what we need and neither are lawyers or people in a position of power in the business world.

CJ

a champion of the people!  I like.

Was Wilson our only Ph.D. pres?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Line Item Veto.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Editd the 2nd amendment.  The right of individual american citizens to keep and bear arms, Rifle or pistol, shall not be infringed or abridged by any part of the local, state, or federal government.

you forgot MG's, rockets, cannons, and all that other good stuff
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
How about this:

No elected official shall have previously earned enough income in any given year to be in the top five percent of the population.

No elected official shall hold any collegiate degree beyond the rank of Master's degree.

No elected official shall be or have been a lawyer by trade or have attended more than four years of law school.

No elected official shall be or have been a member of the board of directors or held any high value position with any Fortune 500 company.

Yay! Class warfare!.  By the way, law school is only 3 years.  And you're going to shut out medical doctors who have WAY more contact with the population than any of the other aforementioned groups (lawyers, academic PhDs, business mucky-mucks).

The idea is to keep the elected officials at a level where they are in touch with what the common man thinks.   Academic knotheads aren't what we need and neither are lawyers or people in a position of power in the business world.

Sounds noble, but really it's not very American.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.  And by people we mean each individual shall have the right to possess and bear, in public, such weapons as are necessary and appropriate for the defense of the citizen's person, property, state, and nation.  And yes, Senator Kerry, we do mean weapons of war.  And no Nagin, you cannot confiscate weapons because there has been a disaster.

Sometimes liberals are a little dense, so you have to be direct.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#42]
The real problem is one of interpretation.  The Founding Fathers, brilliant and prescient as they were, could not have dreamed of a world where the English language could be so parsed and perverted, where even a POTUS, under oath, would argue the finer points of the meaning of the word "is".  We are no longer a nation of laws but rather one of lawyers.

So, if you rewrite the 2nd, it must be ironclad.  Get rid of the militia stuff and define each term with no wiggle room.  What are "arms"?  What does "infringe" mean?  I know to us these terms seem self evident, but to an attorney the permutations are many.  Rest assured that some lawyer will try to "redefine" it to suit their agenda.  Remember, even crystal clear water becomes opaque when a lawyer sets foot in it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#43]

I'd probably start by getting together with a bunch of Very Smart People and writing up a draft whose intent is to clearly define the working principles of our Democratic Republic and also to identify the mechanisms by socialism and communism operate in any form, with the goal being to write an amendment that provides for mandatory execution for anyone who actively attempts to impose any form of socialism or communism within the United States.

In essence, this would outlaw the Democratic Party

Trying to follow in the footsteps of the NSDAP, cmjohnson?

Outlawing and executing opposing political thought is one of the pillars of fascism and tyrrany, not America.  You must be so proud to hold such ideas.

Wait, lemme guess--you're a fan of McCarthy, Liddy, Ollie North, and...  Joesph Goebbels, right?  Am I close?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]
What he said is pretty damn clear, and completely indefensible.

Suggesting that the US would be better off executing everyone who doesn't follow one specific idea of how to do things is about as fucking un-American as you can get.

What're you going to do, round them up in the middle of the night and gas 'em all?  Or are you going to make them wear armbands with a portrait of Marx first?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Repeal of the 17th ammendment.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I would be given the ability to deport or kill any person in the country without question, punishment, or retribution.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If you make one amendment to the Constitution....what would it be?  

The War of Northern Aggression negated the Constitution.........so the question is moot.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top