BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:14 AM EDT
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/14292653.htm

Vang moved to Iowa prison
Safety concerns cited for killer of six
Associated Press
A St. Paul man convicted of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others in a shooting spree in northwestern Wisconsin has been moved to an Iowa prison because of security concerns.

Corrections officials moved Chai Soua Vang to the Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison, Iowa, in January, according to state records. He was previously imprisoned at the Dodge Correctional Institution in Waupun, Wis.

Chai Soua Vang was moved because officials had safety concerns for corrections staff, inmates and others, said Dan Westfield, security chief for the Department of Corrections' division of adult institutions.

Westfield compared the situation to that of convicted Milwaukee serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who in 1994 was killed by another inmate.

"The reasons we move an inmate, and I'll use the Dahmer situation, is that there is a lot of media attention and it stirs a lot of emotion," Westfield said Friday. "Wisconsin is a state with a lot of deer hunters, and we have a lot of inmates who are deer hunters, and there are some racial concerns."

During his trial, Chai Soua Vang, a Hmong immigrant, testified he shot in self-defense at the white hunters after they hurled profanities and racial slurs and took a shot at him. Two survivors testified they did not fire first.

The shooting occurred on the second day of the 2004 deer hunting season after Chai Soua Vang was found trespassing in a tree stand on private land in Sawyer County, Wis. Chai Soua Vang, 37, was sentenced Nov. 8 to six consecutive life prison terms with no chance for parole.

Westfield said he has not heard of any incidents in prison involving Chai Soua Vang. Westfield said he didn't know how long Chai Soua Vang will stay in Iowa.

"After an amount of time, it's not fresh in people's minds," Westfield said.

Corrections Department spokesman John Dipko said Wisconsin has agreements with other states to hold inmates in high-profile cases.

"Generally, we cite safety concerns as reasons for the moves," he said.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
He killed six white people, he's not safe in any prison.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why? I thought he would be a hero. The majority of cellmates won't be white.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he's a pretty dainty Asian guy if I'm not mistaken, his ass isnt safe anywhere
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he was being a smartass...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: he's a pretty dainty Asian guy if I'm not mistaken, his ass isnt safe anywhere
Yep, asian delights are pretty rare in prison so he'll probably sell for an extra pack of smokes. They should really try harder to get Asian criminals in jail so that inmates will not be denied the wonders of male-order brides.

Can you imagine that soft fatbody Kim Jong-Il in a hardcore American prison amongst the general population?!?!? Let's invade commie North Korea because I want to see that!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/14292653.htm

Vang moved to Iowa prison
Safety concerns cited for killer of six
Associated Press
A St. Paul man convicted of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others in a shooting spree in northwestern Wisconsin has been moved to an Iowa prison because of security concerns.

Corrections officials moved Chai Soua Vang to the Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison, Iowa, in January, according to state records. He was previously imprisoned at the Dodge Correctional Institution in Waupun, Wis.

Chai Soua Vang was moved because officials had safety concerns for corrections staff, inmates and others, said Dan Westfield, security chief for the Department of Corrections' division of adult institutions.

Westfield compared the situation to that of convicted Milwaukee serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who in 1994 was killed by another inmate.

"The reasons we move an inmate, and I'll use the Dahmer situation, is that there is a lot of media attention and it stirs a lot of emotion," Westfield said Friday. "Wisconsin is a state with a lot of deer hunters, and we have a lot of inmates who are deer hunters, and there are some racial concerns."

During his trial, Chai Soua Vang, a Hmong immigrant, testified he shot in self-defense at the white hunters after they hurled profanities and racial slurs and took a shot at him. Two survivors testified they did not fire first.

The shooting occurred on the second day of the 2004 deer hunting season after Chai Soua Vang was found trespassing in a tree stand on private land in Sawyer County, Wis. Chai Soua Vang, 37, was sentenced Nov. 8 to six consecutive life prison terms with no chance for parole.

Westfield said he has not heard of any incidents in prison involving Chai Soua Vang. Westfield said he didn't know how long Chai Soua Vang will stay in Iowa.

"After an amount of time, it's not fresh in people's minds," Westfield said.

Corrections Department spokesman John Dipko said Wisconsin has agreements with other states to hold inmates in high-profile cases.

"Generally, we cite safety concerns as reasons for the moves," he said.

Pretty much sugar coated PC crap if you ask me.
Why not just say, "Vang was convicted of murdering six unarmed men and women by shooting them in the back as they ran away after knowingly tresspassing on their land and taking someone else's treestand. During the trial Vang stated that the unarmed hunters deserved to die for real or percieved insults to him.  Vang is also suspected in the murder of a hunter several years ago who was also shot in the back."

My guess is the mouthy little dirtbag is running his mouth in prison also.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He doesn't think that he did anything wrong, and he apparently isn't smart enough to be quiet about it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Indeed. Seeing as how there was only ONE weapon among the EIGHT people he tried to kill, and that weapon was never fired. And that two people were shot off of four wheelers as Vang was leaving the scene. And the other four people were found strung out over a 100 yard space, meaning Vang chased them down and shot them....

There was not one single objective fact that backed a claim of self defense in this case. Not ONE.

Why not just say, "Vang was convicted of murdering six unarmed men and women by shooting them in the back as they ran away after knowingly tresspassing on their land and taking someone else's treestand. During the trial Vang stated that the unarmed hunters deserved to die for real or percieved insults to him.  Vang is also suspected in the murder of a hunter several years ago who was also shot in the back."

Probably a good guess.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He doesn't think that he did anything wrong, and he apparently isn't smart enough to be quiet about it.

IIRC, at his sentencing, he thanked the citizens of Wisconsin for taking care of him for the rest of his life.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]
'Where's a good solid broomhandle when you need one?' ~ Iowa State Penitentiary Convict No. BR549

Eric The(SetHimOutHmongTheGeneralPrisonPopulationAndHe'llKnowWhatIt'sLikeToBeHunted)Hun
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's hope he doesn't live long enough to finishe out his term. Diversity, ain't it great!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed. Seeing as how there was only ONE weapon among the EIGHT people he tried to kill, and that weapon was never fired. And that two people were shot off of four wheelers as Vang was leaving the scene. And the other four people were found strung out over a 100 yard space, meaning Vang chased them down and shot them....

There was not one single objective fact that backed a claim of self defense in this case. Not ONE.

Probably a good guess.

Good shot. We really don't know who we let into this country do we? I know lots of Veits that found in the Veitnam war and they SAY they were on our side but how do we really know?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#13]
He's just stupid. He got pissed cause he couldn't hunt where he wanted to.  I'd say leave him here in WI. Maybe he'll get what he deserves!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top