Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 7:08:07 AM EDT
A couple weeks ago I bought a new linksys router...
The only one I could find was a dual purpose wired/wireless unit.
I plugged all the ethernet cables in like the old (wired only) unit and everything works like the old one.

A few days ago I bought my wife a new Toshiba laptop with built-in wireless capability.
(Satellite series, Celeron M cpu @1.7ghz, 80g hd, 1g ram) ($749 after rebates)
Not knowing how the whole "wireless" thing works, I just plugged the ethernet cable in and surfed that way.

A few minutes ago, I got brave and pulled all the wires out of the laptop and took it into the living room. I sat down on the couch and powered it up.
All by itself, it found the signal from my Linksys router and connected me...

THIS IS SO COOL !

Here I sit on the sofa, with no wires attached, lurking on Arfcom.

I'm sure this may sound silly to some, but to me, this is the cats whiskers...  

I may just have to go buy another laptop just for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
welcome to 2006
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you ise some sort of encription on your router unless you want the rest of the world to share it with you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All by itself, it found the signal from my Linksys router and connected me...

Just understand that anyone else can do the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Just watch that your neighbor doesn't start using your wireless service. It happens...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure you ise some sort of encription on your router unless you want the rest of the world to share it with you.

Unless someone provides keystroke specific instructions, that won't likely happen...  

It's definitly something I want to look into though...
My neighborhood is primarily old (computer free) folks, so It's not at the top of my priority list at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That's why I'm glad my nearest neighbor is a 1000' away.  I have a "low signal" at 50'.

There is nothing like surfin' while sitting on the couch.  I think I'm getting fatter everyday because of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there a way to "monitor" or look and see if someone else is hijacking my connection ?
I'm on a pretty fast Comcast connection, so I won't really notice if it happens.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, and to think that I was giddy because Bluetooth 1.2 ADP with Multipoint allows me to listen to music from my computer wirelessly (and skip/repeat tracks, etc.) while I can accept any calls to my mobile (cellphone for you Americans) or my Skype account (with caller ID, and auto-music-pause). Yeah, wireless tech is great, whatever kind it may be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top