Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 2:07:29 AM EDT
Shit.  These people would run screaming into the street and drop dead of fear if they saw my very modest collection.  

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_east/4891026.stm

School head faces new gun charges

A primary school head teacher has appeared in court to face extra charges of possessing guns and ammunition.

Martin Wynn Davies, 58, of Johnstown, Wrexham, is now accused of possessing a total of six handguns and 239 hollow point bullets.

The head of Ysgol Deiniol, Wrexham, was remanded in custody by magistrates on new charges of keeping four guns and the ammunition at his parents' home.

On Wednesday he was at the same court accused of having two guns at his home.

He was also charged with possessing 49 Samson Luger 9mm and 190 Blazer rounds.

At his Wrexham court appearance on Saturday, Mr Davies was charged with possessing an Enfield .38 revolver, a Llama .22 semi-automatic pistol, a Browning 6mm pistol and clip and Webley .38 and .45 revolvers.

The charges followed Mr Davies' appearance at the same court on Wednesday, when he was charged with possession of a 9mm semi-automatic Walther P38 pistol and a .22 semi-automatic rifle.

He will next appear at Flintshire magistrates' court, Mold.

Paul Bennett, defending, told the court that his client, a married father-of-two, would argue that he is an "innocent collector" of firearms.

House search in Johnstown, Wrexham
Searches continued in Johnstown on Wednesday

Mr Bennett released a statement on behalf of his client outside court.

It read: "I wish to thank my family, friends and well-wishers for their support at this difficult time.

"As the case is ongoing, I can't comment on events, except to say that I remain grateful to those who have supported and assisted my family.

"Despite recent events, I remain proud of my teaching and school record over my 22 years at the school.

"I remain proud of my record of success and achievement, and I hope it will not be overshadowed by recent events.

"I would be grateful for continued support for my family over the coming weeks."

After Wednesday's court appearance, Wrexham Council said it would urgently discuss the situation with governors at the school, which is now being managed by the deputy head teacher.

The council said pupils' education would not be disrupted, and parents would be informed of developments.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Un-fucking-believable......
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What is it about British teachers and guns?

Another similar BBC report, from almost a year ago:

Firearms row teacher to keep guns

A teacher who was banned from keeping guns and compared to Dunblane killer Thomas Hamilton has been allowed to keep his shotgun certificate.

Stewart Nicoll was suspended from teaching at Grantown Grammar School because of his alleged right-wing views and police fears of possible violence.

But an Inverness sheriff ruled that, while he was unfit to own a rifle, he could keep his shotguns.

Police said they were examining the court ruling.

The modern studies teacher was suspended after investigators told a court they were concerned he had a "tendency to dwell on matters, lose his temper and may resort to violence."

The sheriff heard that Mr Nicoll, 54 and from Aviemore, owned two rifles and five shotguns, including a pump action shotgun.  

It was suggested that his lessons concentrated on images of shootings and his views on the right of people to carry guns.

Officials from Highland Council confirmed the teacher remains suspended on full pay and that they would now investigate Mr Nicoll's suitability to continue as a teacher at the school.

His lawyer, Tom Cruickshank, said: "Mr Nicoll was partly successful. In the sheriff's view he was sure that there was no danger to public safety or the peace."

He said he was considering whether to appeal against the decision not to reinstate Mr Nicoll's firearms certificate.

Mr Cruickshank explained that it can be withheld when police have reason to believe a holder is "otherwise unfitted" to be entrusted with a firearm.

Mr Nicoll, who insists he is no threat to anyone, was initially suspended by the council in March.

He was accused of making controversial comments in class on subjects like race, slavery and firearms and said that positive discrimination in favour of the disabled and ethnic minorities had gone too far.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
239 rounds of hollow-point ammunition?

I have more than that rolling around in my glovebox.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Stewart Nicoll was suspended from teaching at Grantown Grammar School because of his alleged right-wing views and police fears of possible violence.

But an Inverness sheriff ruled that, while he was unfit to own a rifle, he could keep his shotguns.

WTF?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how they found out he had 'em?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top