Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2006 12:23:53 AM EDT
So my wife comes to visit me here at work earlier tonight.  I'm bored, so I go the the maintenance shop to clean up a 1 7/8" ball hitch on the grinder/wire brush.  Found a piece of 3/8" steel lying on the metal rack, so I fire up the welder and play around for a while (using nearly 15 year old welding rods that we bought by the case and never use).

I finish a bead and flip open my helmet.  Wife is standing there looking at me.  Yep, she stood there for almost a minute watching me weld.  She was 'fascinated' by the bright light.

She didn't know that you aren't supposed to look at the arc without shielding.  I thought this was common knowledge.

So now she is afraid she is going to go blind.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought everybody knew.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thought everybody knew.

Me too.  I had it drilled into my head by dad from an early age.  Heck, I'm afraid to weld while wearing my contacts due to a bulletin dad had posted in his welding classroom when I was a kid.  Something about unshielded exposure to the light of the arc fusing the contact lenses to your eyeballs.

But then again, with the proliferation of these shows like American Chopper, most people think you can just close your eyes and be OK.

Nothing like welding for an hour in short sleeves (stupid I know) and getting a good tan on your arms.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
explains why my prescription changes every 3 months...............
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
When she goes blind and kills you, can I have your guns?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#5]
if a person does not know about this rule  the flash burn they get will eventually educate them.

edit: NOT FUN
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I told her that if she went blind, I'd put her out of my misery.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
How is it she has not gone blind from staring at the sun?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing like Burnt retinas eh?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll wake up to this in the a.m.:

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]
It will only burn for a couple days, i heard that somehere.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought this was gonna be an Indiana Jones thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's the first thing I thought of!  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Flash burn on your eyes is no joke... it hurts, feels like you had a hand full sand thrown in your eyes that will not wash out and your eyes will be extremely sensitive to light for several day's.

with a full min of exposure your wife will likely not be very happy the next few day's... eye drops will help as will buffered eye wash, take her too or call an eye doc... there are some OTC/script products that will help ease the healing process.

Flash burn of the eye is one of those things that you NEVER FORGET...at least I never havehad

John
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Flash burn on your eyes is no joke... it hurts, feels like you had a hand full sand thrown in your eyes that will not wash out and your eyes will be extremely sensitive to light for several day's.

with a full min of exposure your wife will likely not be very happy the next few day's... eye drops will help as will buffered eye wash, take her too or call an eye doc... there are some OTC/script products that will help ease the healing process.

Flash burn of the eye is one of those things that you NEVER FORGET...at least I never have

Before you guy's jump my ass for not knowing better myself...I did... last welds I had to make that day and I had the sun shining in the back of my helmet... could not see shit... I was tired, THIRSTY(NEED BEER) and said fuck it..threw my helmet... made the welds... went home... had my beer...paid for it for 3 days

John

Did the same thing, my eyes have never been the same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think she was looking at it continuously, just a couple of shots.  Probably no more than 20 seconds.  Said her eyes felt fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]
There is still a good chance that she will be complaining about sand in her eyes this morning.
I have done a quite a bit of welding and it seems like my eyes are getting more and more sensitive to it.
Now, just short periods of time of reflection flashes can make my eyes hurt in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:03:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Burley,

That's good to hear... she will probably be fine then... IIRC it was several hours(4 to 6) before my eyes started to blister bad(sand feeling) once that happened it was down hill from there... constant burning, dry, itching eyes(DON'T RUB THEM) and I could not stand to have ANY lights on... god did it suck big time.

Hope she's ok...

John
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it has been almost 3 days, her eyes haven't bothered her at all.  Guess she got lucky this time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought everybody knew that.

I knew a guy who would weld outside in shorts and a wifebeater, always wondered why he got a sunburn at night. He did wear a mask, though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, it has been almost 3 days, her eyes haven't bothered her at all.  Guess she got lucky this time.

Methinks it wasn't the welding that made you guys go blind.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Idiots in shop class that tried to flash burn me when arc welding piss me off.  

Of course, I've flashed myself on accident a few times...

Sounds like she got just a little dose, nothing more than most kids get when learning to weld.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmmm....

I burned my eyes after a day of lighting off a couple of hundred pounds of thermite.
That hurt.  I got over it though.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
HA!

i was welding one day and my buddies girlfriend did the same thing, turns out noon ever told her not to look into the light...

i finish up a bead and she was staring directly at it, eyes wide open (duh).

she deserves to go blind anyways.

when i weld smaller jobs i dont bother using a helmet, just close my eyes and hope for the best :)!!

but, i do use my helmet when im going to be doing alot of welding (over 5 minutes worth)

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I did a whole arc job once, wearing only welding goggles. My eyes were fine, every other exposed skin had 2nd~3rd degree "sunburn". Blistered up and hurt for days.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#30]
This was common knowledge in the days when more folks did for themselves and didn't throw everything away.

Now, the average person around here doesn't have a clue.

I even have a set of "supervisor's" glasses for watching gas welding from a distance - they can't be used up close because they are not glass, but work well out of range of pops and spatters.  Good for visitors.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Methinks it wasn't the welding that made you guys go blind.  

Joke--just a joke.  "Don't do that--you'll go blind."  

I was gonna say - will she go blind if she plays with it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
even if you didn't know it was bad, wouldn't you look away any way due to it hurting?
at least it always hurt my eyes to look at it

and from the title I thought this was about the arc of the convenant and was a raider of the lost arc question
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#34]
If you're ever unfortunate enough to get welding burns in your eyes, try (and I know this sounds stupid) cutting a raw potato in half and holding the exposed part over your closed eye.  It really does help.

Don't ask why I had to find out.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Flashburn sucks....

So does mig welding over sholder level with nothing covering the top of your head......

So does slag in your EAR....

So does scratching an itch on your forehead with a 10 fuking billion degree tungsen...

and to top it off.... a red hot tungsten falling from the torch, landing in your lap, burning through your pants, and trying it's hardest to burn a hole in your nutsak....

Other then that welding is cool...

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So my wife comes to visit me here at work earlier tonight.  I'm bored, so I go the the maintenance shop to clean up a 1 7/8" ball hitch on the grinder/wire brush.  Found a piece of 3/8" steel lying on the metal rack, so I fire up the welder and play around for a while (using nearly 15 year old welding rods that we bought by the case and never use).

I finish a bead and flip open my helmet.  Wife is standing there looking at me.  Yep, she stood there for almost a minute watching me weld.  She was 'fascinated' by the bright light.

She didn't know that you aren't supposed to look at the arc without shielding.  I thought this was common knowledge to the male of the species, much like not looking at the sun directly.

So now she is afraid she is going to go blind.

Edited to complete the statement of fact.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Back when I was a young-un most Dads had received at least some shop classes in HS and they passed on the knowledge that you didn't look at the arcs in welding or in arc lamps in movie projectors or the big arc searchlights.

Most kids don't have much chance at getting too close to any kind of arc these days.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

She didn't know that you aren't supposed to look at the arc without shielding.  I thought this was common knowledge.

So now she is afraid she is going to go blind. hr

I thought you meant The Arc of the Covenant
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I can top your "common sense stories"

My sister asked me if two babies are carried  in the womb at the same time but one is born Dec.1 2005 and the other is born on Jan 1, 2006, are they still twins?  She thought no because they were born on different days in different years.

Another one from her (just the other day)

Me: What is the only letter not to be used in the name of a state? (from a snapple cap)
Sister:  ummmmmmmmmm..........K
Me: Like North Dakota
Sister:  Nothe Dakota is a state??????
Me: Try again
Sister: H
Me: Like Hawaii
Sister:  Hawaii is not a state it's a island
Me: Your dumb. forget it, it's Q
Sister: oh.....ok
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Flash burn of the eye is one of those things that you NEVER FORGET...at least I never have

Before you guy's jump my ass for not knowing better myself...I did... last welds I had to make that day and I had the sun shining in the back of my helmet... could not see shit... I was tired, THIRSTY(NEED BEER) and said fuck it..threw my helmet... made the welds... went home... had my beer...paid for it for 3 days

Yeah that was a tough lesson, got it from a stick welder, I was holding a glass shield to my eyes and missed more than once...  all I can say is wow..hurt like a MOFO..the sand thing is the worst, it drove me nuts for 2 or 3 days..   WEAK

John

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My sister asked me if two babies are carried  in the womb at the same time but one is born Dec.1 2005 and the other is born on Jan 1, 2006, are they still twins?  She thought no because they were born on different days in different years.

I don't think you can "hold it" for a month.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#42]
If she was 20' or so away from the arc, then she would be OK. It's if you are right on top of the arc as you weld that it hurts you. Farther away, there is less damage because there is less energy. Root-mean-square stuff, right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I told her that if she went blind, I'd put her out of my misery.

Tell her that if she goes deaf, that'll make a three-fer....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was about 9 yrs old my old man was welding on a trailer, I was helping out. He caught me off gaurd and I got a split second shot before i could turn away. By the end of the day it hurt pretty bad. Dear old mom had made an appointment to have a family picture taken that night, she was not going to cancel at any cost. Every time I am over to the folks house I still notice the pic of me in a god awful suit and bloodshot eyes. I honestly had a blister you could see on my eyeball!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#45]
The problem is that women are incredibly naive about the world around them.  And pretty stupid overall.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Had to take my brother to hospital once with weld-eyes. They have a gel they squirt into your eyes and it takes the pain away quite effectively. He learned his lesson
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm a little disappointed that YOU weren't responsible enough to make sure she knew not to look
at the light.  Every single time I weld, if anyone is around, I tell them not to look at the light.
Just to protect them.

When you took your wife shooting for the first time, did you hand her ear protection,
or fire off a large caliber handgun and laugh when her ears were ringing?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:24:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Does she wear glasses or contact lenses? I've had the UV coating from them save my eyes from flash a few times. Thought I was gonna get it good, and should have, but never did.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:26:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thought everybody knew.

Me too.  I had it drilled into my head by dad from an early age.  Heck, I'm afraid to weld while wearing my contacts due to a bulletin dad had posted in his welding classroom when I was a kid.  Something about unshielded exposure to the light of the arc fusing the contact lenses to your eyeballs.

But then again, with the proliferation of these shows like American Chopper, most people think you can just close your eyes and be OK.

Nothing like welding for an hour in short sleeves (stupid I know) and getting a good tan on your arms.

I had very light second-degree burns (and a good bit of 1st-degree) on my knees when one time I did some welding while kneeling on the garage floor wearing shorts. (I have very sun-sensetive skin, I turn bright red after a half hour of sitting outside)

Dad did welding on various projects when I was a kid, so I always knew to never look at the arc. Same with cutting torches.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you can "hold it" for a month.

I know of one family where they were carried as twins, but one had to be delivered by c-section 3mo premature due to some problem that required surgery, the other was delivery at term. Both are healthy, but with birthdays 3mo apart, what do you do?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the first thing I thought of!  

+1.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top