Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 4:02:53 PM EDT
Wonder how bad they'll butcher it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
When they had Platoon on the History Channel it go cut up so bad it didn't make any sense at all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus....

Am I the only one who still gets choked up watching this, even for the umpteenth time?

Wow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll watch it but not when it's been butchered for tv
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jesus....

Am I the only one who still gets choked up watching this, even for the umpteenth time?

Wow.

nope

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
the end gets me every time
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So far they haven't touched it aside from language, and if there's anywhere to butcher, it's during the opening.

I'm shocked, actually.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The end always brings a lump in my throat and tears to my eyes...  "Tell me I lived a good life...."  geeesh.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The part that always gets me is when Marshall reads the letter from Lincoln.

Damn.

And to think, they made the Omaha landing look EASY in the movie.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm watching Tom & Jerry on Boomerang.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
SPR dosn't get to me the same way it used to.  Don't get me wrong, as long as I view it as just entertainment, i'm fine, but my historical detail oriented side just dosn't get all that excited about it anymore.

I used to get choked up about it until I watched 'Band of Brothers'.  Thats when I realized that SPR is nothing but fiction, albeit with much fact intersperced throughout, but the f'ed up storyline ruins it for me now.

The part when there is the breakdown of disciplin in the unit, the interfighting, pointing guns at eachother and arguing while deep in enemy territory kinda screws the whole thing up for me.

BOB on the other hand shows how no matter how bad it got, they still stuck together regardless of how they felt about eachother and BOB was entirely taen straight from the horses mouth and not just "based on a true story".

Chris
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wish I had Boomerang.

Have to decide what to get, satellite or cable, at my new home.

SPR still does it for me on a larger level, not a character-specific level. To think what so many thousands went through that morning. Wow.

The biggest coward on the beach that day was braver than I'll ever be. May God bless them all and keep them in His care forever.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Same here.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Been watching it since it came on, haven't seen them cut anything out yet. Been awhile since I watched the DVD though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
You know you're an Arfcom addict when the very FIRST thing that popped in my head was this:

Then this:

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You know you're an Arfcom addict when the very FIRST thing that popped in my head was this:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/SPRCrane.jpg/300px-SPRCrane.jpg

Then this:

www.prostunts.net/Image%20Captures/Saving%20Private%20Ryan%20Stunt%202.jpg

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/SPRCrane.jpg/300px-SPRCrane.jpg

Then this:

www.prostunts.net/Image%20Captures/Saving%20Private%20Ryan%20Stunt%202.jpg

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

hehe *nods*
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had Boomerang.

Have to decide what to get, satellite or cable, at my new home.

SPR still does it for me on a larger level, not a character-specific level. To think what so many thousands went through that morning. Wow.

The biggest coward on the beach that day was braver than I'll ever be. May God bless them all and keep them in His care forever.

Dexter's Laboratory's on now!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't watch it. Never have been able to.

At the part where that little pussy sits and cries while that goose-stepping Nazi drives a bayonet into one his own teammates, I just go nuts. It ruins the movie for me because I get so worked up. Hell, I'm getting mad just sitting here and typing about it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
(note: I am NOT criticizing negatively! I agree, those men were, and are, heroes.)

The thing that chokes ME up is the 'mathematical game'... which, in Gettysburg,  was explained by Gen. Longstreet, describing Pickett's Charge... Essentially, you have to put enough people charging across 'that small, deadly space' to get enough of them to the enemy line to be able to put up a fight... Those that fall, do so that the rest can fight!

I hope to God we never forget this... We forget them to our everlasting shame, and tyrants forget them to their everlasting dishonor... that America may still produce such magnificent children!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
At the part where that little pussy sits and cries while that goose-stepping Nazi drives a bayonet into one his own teammates, I just go nuts. It ruins the movie for me because I get so worked up. Hell, I'm getting mad just sitting here and typing about it.

I've onlyseen the whole movie once and I, too, hit the ceiling in that scene.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was also a pussy in "Ravenous" Jeremy Davies.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus....

Wow.

nope

+2

Best war movie ever made.
Last I checked they only edited out the F-bombs.
Looking forward to "Flags of Our Fathers", should be coming out around Memorial Day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Some scenes from the book "The Longest Day" that were too bloody for the movie found their way into "Saving Private Ryan." One of these was the scene where the soldier on the beach was running around carrying his own severed arm.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in Ravenous too?
Was he that guy that dropped his gun and ran?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
SPR gets special treatment on tv and doesn't get cut as much as a similar movie would that's non speilberg
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in Ravenous too?
Was he that guy that dropped his gun and ran?

maybe, all I can remember is saying to myself, "again"
He was the guy that got licked
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Eww!
I forgot about that part!

He plays this loser guy brother of the US President in a lame zombie movie that mocks the war in Iraq on the Showtime Masters of Horror series too...

I love a crappy zombie film, but that one just sucked...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You know, the beach scene, the bayonetting of Mellish, the Medic dying.  All that shit bothers me.  But you know what scene bothers me the most?

After the medic dies.  When Capt. Miller asks what the pool on him is up to.  He explains that for the past 11 years he's been a schoolteacher.

I have no clue why.  

He completely takes the squads' mind off the subject at hand and gives them something else to think about. Maybe coming completely out of left field like that worked, did it not?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You know, the beach scene, the bayonetting of Mellish, the Medic dying.  All that shit bothers me.  But you know what scene bothers me the most?

After the medic dies.  When Capt. Miller asks what the pool on him is up to.  He explains that for the past 11 years he's been a schoolteacher.

I have no clue why.  

to defuse the mutiny
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus....

Wow.

nope

I make it all the way to the salute at the end, then it gets me every time...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I can never maintain dry eyes while watching SPR. The ending always gets me.

Think about it: How in the hell can you live your life in such a way as to honor the memory of those who sacrificed everything they have to save your ass?

But, this gets to me even more.
denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top