Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 9:26:06 AM EDT
Well, that's my project... I've allways wanted to learn to fly, and now I have time & money...

The Air Force (Osan AB) MWR/AFS runs a flying club on base that offers lessons for a FAA Private Pilot's license, and I'm signing up... It's a short bus ride from Humphreys (my post)...

Might as well, it beats spending it at the PX or on the local economy (I don't drink, especially here)...

I'm not spending 1 year in Korea in front of my computer, but on the other hand, I'm not joining my neighbors downtown with the juicy girls either... The overall idea is to leave here with a pilot's license and a (p) in front of my name...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with spending money on the local economy?
That aside, I had a particular hobby that was a lot of fun. My friends and I would go hiking in the mountains to visit the various Buddhist temples. I got to see quite a few of them, and the artwork and scenery is fantastic. It was a lot of fun, not too expensive, and I got some exercise and fresh air. Spending time out in the economy got me speaking enough of the language to get by on my own if I had to. I also got to REALLY experience the culture. The real Korea is not at all like the various "ville's" located next to every American military installation.

Also, make friends with some KATUSA's. They are great people, and they can really show you the country in a way that you would never see it otherwise. Some of the best friends I have ever had were KATUSA's.

You are on a really nice post. Enjoy it, it can be fun if you learn to make it fun.

Oh, check out the Kimche Hash House Harriers! They are drinkers with a running problem. Lots of fun! You don't have to drink if you don't want to, and the people are great.

Anyong he Kase-eh-O.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
--
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Outstanding.  I don't believe they offered that when I was there (at least, I never heard about it).

Good luck!  Oh, and don't fly over the MDL!

The only guy who had at Osan was the desk sergant at base ops...

The flight school/club is right in the middle of one of the revetment areas (there were 4 '18s parked behind it), next to the U-2/TR-1 squadron (Black Cats) - hard to find, but on my way back I got to see a U-2 taxi back in from a mission, tailed by 2 AF-blue Z28s with flashers.... Yes, that's right, the Air Force uses Camaros for chase cars...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's wrong with spending money on the local economy?
That aside, I had a particular hobby that was a lot of fun. My friends and I would go hiking in the mountains to visit the various Buddhist temples. I got to see quite a few of them, and the artwork and scenery is fantastic. It was a lot of fun, not too expensive, and I got some exercise and fresh air. Spending time out in the economy got me speaking enough of the language to get by on my own if I had to. I also got to REALLY experience the culture. The real Korea is not at all like the various "ville's" located next to every American military installation.

Also, make friends with some KATUSA's. They are great people, and they can really show you the country in a way that you would never see it otherwise. Some of the best friends I have ever had were KATUSA's.

You are on a really nice post. Enjoy it, it can be fun if you learn to make it fun.

Oh, check out the Kimche Hash House Harriers! They are drinkers with a running problem. Lots of fun! You don't have to drink if you don't want to, and the people are great.

Anyong he Kase-eh-O.

Second to None, Sir...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top