Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:18:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT by Brisk322]
Teaser was a little shy of 13 years old.

Briskette and I took turns crying.

He is buried in the backyard, inside a shoebox that was his house/refuge/bed. With him is one of his yarn ball toys. On top of the box is a can of his cat food (Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets - the only kind he liked).

And I miss him. He was a Good Cat.

I'm struck by how much I don't want to accept death. He died around midnight, and I wasn't in the mood to dig a hole in the backyard in the middle of the night. It took some resolve to not look in the box and make sure he was just sleeping. (I cried hard as I put him in the hole and filled it in.)

But I still put him in his favorite box (like he cares about his container), with one of his toys (like he's going to do anything), and with some food (like he's going to be hungry, and like he can open the can).

I'm an educated 21st century Christian. Either I'm going pagan, or there's something about death that is so unnatural, so cosmically wrong, that I'm not able to understand it.

I don't think animals, even good ones, have an afterlife (BTW, all the more reason to make their time here pleasant).

I sure hope I'm wrong.

I miss you Teaser.

ETA: Picture of him getting a drink at his favorite watering hole...the bathroom sink.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:23:16 AM EDT
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a good cat
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:24:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:26:00 AM EDT
sorry to hear that, its always tough becuase each cat is so unique, there is no other animal with that type of personality...

maybe its time to adopt another?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:28:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:39:12 AM EDT
Sorry man.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:45:28 AM EDT
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there, there will be a kitten somewhere very soon that will be just crying for you to pick it up. Although the new kitten may not replace the one you just had to let go, it will wants to earn a place in your heart too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:26 AM EDT
I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:54:57 AM EDT
I am so sorry.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:58:12 AM EDT
sorry man,
nothing pagan about loving your pets and mourning them when they die.

If there is an afterlife, hopefully our furry friends have a place in it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
Funny how something like a cat or a dog can make the mightiest of men weep when the pass. I know I cried hard when I lost my Dakota in 02 and my Apache Jan 06.

Sorry to hear about your cat!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:12 AM EDT
Black cats are the best. I miss my cat, Soot -- she was a good cat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:48 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about your cat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:25:45 AM EDT
Sorry, man.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
Brisk322,

Check out this site.

The Rainbow Bridge.

Sorry for your loss.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:18 AM EDT
Sorry bout the pet. It is DAMN hard to turn 'em loose. Damn hard...I still think about my dog every single day.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:14 AM EDT
You made his life on earth easier, you gave him a place to sleep, a place to play, clean water and good food.

He'll be waiting for you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:56:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
Black cats are the best. I miss my cat, Soot -- she was a good cat.

+1 Black cats rock. Here's a pic of my cat, Shadow:

I am very sorry for your loss, Brisk. Take it easy and remember the good times always.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
Yes, very tough losing a loved pet. If you can. probably good to get another pet before too long, it helped me anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:13:02 AM EDT
Sorry to hear you're hurting man. I buried a kitten a few months ago that my German Shepherd carried out side without me knowing. He probably had the whole kitten in his mouth. He had done that before. I found it under our black oak tree being eaten by the birds. I spent hours looking for that cat every day over several days. I don't know why, I'm not particularly fond of cats, but I think I felt guilty about it getting out without me knowing.

Take care, and get a new cat as soon as you can. It will help. Trust me. Save a cats life at the shelter in memory of your cats passing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:20:08 AM EDT
I'm sorry you lost your cat. I have an awesome black cat too. Recently she got a horrible eye infection and was acting strange before I realized what happened (I was at work all day and she was hiding all day when I came home). When I went to see what was up with her I couldn't tell that her eye was even there. I don't think I have ever been as worried in my life as I was there. I immediately took her to the 24 hour emergency animal hospital. She's doing much better now thankfully.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:22:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:24:08 AM EDT by scooper]
sorry.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:30:44 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about your loss. Cats are great friends and family.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:36:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:45:54 AM EDT by John Parker]
I had to put my one eared black bastard down several years ago! I was 33 at the time and I was crying like a baby. Hate to say it but im glad my Mom was there with me. Midnight was the coolest cat I have ever had. He came when he was called and loved to eat the Indian food that I brought home from the local restaurant. And he loved to flirt with girls I had over! He loved to shove his ass right in their faces when they were on the sofa! Cancer got him and even though I wanted him to be around with me I decided it was selfish of me to let him suffer for my (well intenioned) desire. Several weeks after he was put to sleep he came to me in a dream. I picked him up and scratched his head and asked how he was doing. In the dream I put him down on the ground and he was gone. I havent dreamt of him since. I think it was his way of saying that everything was cool! Sorry about your loss! Time will make it better!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:39:12 AM EDT
Hey, I feel your pain, I had to bury my little buddy last August...she was 15 years old.

I buried her wrapped in her favorite shirt of mine, with her favorite toy, and her cat treats...all in a nice old cedar box....

Ditto on getting a new one too....A couple of days after burying Crack Kitty I went to the ASPCA and ended up adopting two approx. 9 month olds....they don't replace them, but they sure help you think about other things....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:47:33 AM EDT by Master_Blaster]
RIP little kitty.

Rescue a cat in need @ some point later one - you'll feel little better. Plenty of nice cats looking for a good home in shelters/rescues.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:01:23 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about your loss. I dread the day when I have to lay to rest my two best buddies in the whole world, Cosmo and Willow...

AC
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:15:45 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about your loss. We had to put our male orange tabby Ginger down 3 years ago, he was 19+++ I cried like a little girl when the Vet put the needle into him, and I haven't cried that hard for a human death in awhile.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:51:43 AM EDT
"I don't think animals, even good ones, have an afterlife"

If you believe in an afterlife no reason not to believe the most deserving andmerciful creatures wouldn't be there.
If you believe in God, God loves tenfold more than people can or do, He created them all He loves them even more than we do.

God bless yall through these times regardless, even with them in Heaven the world is a much more empty place when a loved animal passes away.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:24:38 PM EDT
Sympathies and condolences. I'm a cat person, never had the room/yard for a big dog. I adopted a stray cat PeeWee. Cats are way cool in my book
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:26:38 PM EDT

Sorry to hear it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:56:52 PM EDT
Cats can really be special. My wife got panicky today when she thought Jr. the tabby had gotten out of the house. All you can do is give another cat a good home.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:59:49 PM EDT
Gen 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I am sure "rightous dominion" is our gift. Our pets (are we "their" pets?) are given to us for our benefit as well as theirs. Our pets teach us (and our children) much about life and death. If the creatures of this world are blessed while they are here, then they are blessed anywhere in this life or the next....

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:10:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By smlockeiii:
Gen 1:22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

I am sure "rightous dominion" is our gift. Our pets (are we "their" pets?) are given to us for our benefit as well as theirs. Our pets teach us (and our children) much about life and death. If the creatures of this world are blessed while they are here, then they are blessed anywhere in this life or the next....

Nice post.

Brisk322,

I am very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:16:05 PM EDT
Sorry for your lost...I'm sure your cat is looking down on you right now and keeping you in his thoughts. I've lost some good pets in the years and it is hard. You don't realized how attach you become to our four legged friends until the day comes when they are no longer with you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:16:37 PM EDT
Well, if heaven's supposed to be the best place imaginable, it would be hard to imagine our favorite pets won't join us there. I don't recall ever reading anything in the Bible that barred animals from heaven.
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:18:34 PM EDT
Sorry to hear.

I know when my cat dies, I'll be really depressed. I got such a good one this time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:26:45 PM EDT
Your have my condolences. You will always have the memories.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:34:37 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:17 PM EDT
Truly sorry for your loss.

My shipmate just got word his kitty just died today. He's heartbroken.

It's been 6 months or so since I lost Tokie. He's been creamated and resides in a box but has not been buried yet. That's because he will be buried at sea with me.

I miss the little character every day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
Sorry to hear about your kitty. Mine is sitting next to me (as always) and is trying to type on the keyboard right now. I think I'll put up those little annoyances a little more after thinking about that inevitable day when I lose him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:21:09 PM EDT
I'm sorry for your loss. My cat also likes to drink from the bathroom faucet (it has to be the one on the right!), and sometimes I have to cup my hands to hold some water for him. Unfortunately, he is now 19 and can't jump up onto the counter anymore, so when I go into the bathroom, he stands by the counter and waits for me to lift him up. Sometimes he gets a little impatient because he doesn't think I'm fast enough to suit him that day. Sometimes he's a little shit and doesn't want anything to do with me; Other times, he follows me around and wants to be held. That independence is why I chose a cat over a dog (not that I hate dogs). Even if to him I am nothing more than that guy who gives him food and water, cleans his litter box, and scratches his head when he wants it scratched; He's Family!

Wayne
Top Top