Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:14 PM EDT
I've got a compaq presario v2000 laptop. Due to my limited conditions I was wondering if there is any way that I could hook up a VCR or DVD up to it? I realize that a gun forum isn't exactly the best place to be asking, but I've gotten a lot of help here before on off topic things and hopefully someone here will know or at least know where to get the answer. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:39:52 AM EDT
I thought about this a few years ago, and the only thing I could come up with was a PCMCIA card with a TV tuner and A/V inputs. You might be able to find one that uses USB too. just do a google search to see what you will need.

Prices seem to be around $50-$100. Some say they will allow you to "Tivo" stuff too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:13:14 AM EDT
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Do you know if there's a way to just hook a vcr up to the laptop to use it as the screen?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:48:35 AM EDT
You can use a hauppage WinTV recorder. It hooks up to your laptop via USB. I have one, and it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:14:19 AM EDT
I use an ATI USB 2.0 TV setup. ITs wayyyy better than any Hauppouge crap. Check it out its cheap and works great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I'll take a look at that ATI tv usb thing. Are there any other input options that will plug into a USB or S-video?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR_Clint:
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I'll take a look at that ATI tv usb thing. Are there any other input options that will plug into a USB or S-video?

yea you can plug shit in to it
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:13:54 PM EDT

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. Do you know if there's a way to just hook a vcr up to the laptop to use it as the screen?

no.. never seen a laptop with a Video-in jack. just add a pcmcia card..
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
easiest way is to use this www.svideo.com/prosvideo12.html

You just hook it up from vcr or dvd or tv to laptop and watch whatever and if you buy a dazzle then you can copy your old beta, vhs, 8mm and whatever to your puter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:41:31 PM EDT
you can get a USB tuner card. Mine has cable and RCA inputs, so i can do what i want A/V wise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:53 PM EDT
Just to answer your question, the vast majority of laptops have no provisions for any video inputs. The circuitry isn't there. An add-on device (card or USB) is required.

So no, you can't just jack in a VCR or DVD player.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:27:19 PM EDT
Perfect, so now I know that I need to buy an add-on device. Would the adapter that TrojanFan posted work? From what I understand from the responces I'll need something a little more complicated than an adapter. Is this right? So, does anyone know what the cheapest and least complicated add-on device would be?

Thanks a lot for the help I've already received!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:39:19 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:35 PM EDT
A pcmcia card or usb tuner... and like a tv, you tune it to ch.3. Set the slide switch on the back of the VCR to ch. 3. Or set both to ch.4.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1822570&CatId=0

That's just one device.... search around. They make them in both USB and PCMCIA card types.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:41:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

yea you can plug shit in to it

Quit being so damn technical
Top Top