Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:41:19 PM EDT
The safety nazis at work are getting a little much.

I asked the chief safety guy if I could wear a mae west instead of a damned Kapok and he said 'OK'.

Need a servicible mae west.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
MAE West as in the gigantic internet exchange in San Jose and Los Angeles?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only one, and she's not smelling to well now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Mae West as CO2 in inflatable life vest. The kind worn by pilots.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hooters may have something close.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The safety nazis at work are getting a little much.

I asked the chief safety guy if I could wear a mae west instead of a damned Kapok and he said 'OK'.

Need a servicible mae west.

Ideas?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/249289/10001/12387/106/8
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear the Mustang inflatable PFD on my boat, fairly comfortable. Available with and w/o a safety harness.

store.yahoo.com/landfallnav/mustangpfd.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Pack your chute while drunk.

or did you want
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Once more for the benefit of the studio audience.

I'm looking for the pilots kind, servicable surplus is OK.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The old WW2 kind, right?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pack your chute while drunk.

or did you want
perso.wanadoo.fr/ansa39-45/images/evreux05l.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The old WW2 kind, right?

Yeah. Seems we're supposed to climb ladders with a work vest on and really vertical and/or Jacob's ladders can be a royal PITA. Work vests and Kapoks sort of get in the way. Mae Wests will stay flat.

I asked the safety guy if I could just wear a mae west and he said it'd be OK if I could find one.

Although things have not gotten too bad yet, it's just a matter of time before the cause of accidents is going to be 'getting snagged and caught up in safety equipment'.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of those airline life preservers --the "pull to inflate" kind

Dont ask I dont know where it came from. I think I got it during the boating accident.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have one of those airline life preservers --the "pull to inflate" kind

Dont ask I dont know where it came from. I think I got it during the boating accident.

EGGG-ZACKLY what I want! Give you a dollar three eighty two for it!

When I get home, we'll hook up!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I bet you could find a few new, unused on the RMS Titanic.    

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
You can wear it under a coat if need be.
Kinda like the stewardess in "airplane" but its not the "duckie" model.although it does have the flashy thing built in IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
link for piccolo

KEEEE-RIST! for cryin' out loud!

Let's all get together and see if we can locate every part of a B-17G and build it at ETHs ranch or somewhere!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Why trust your life to a piece of 65 year old history?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why trust your life to a piece of 65 year old history?

I'm NOT trusting my life to this damned thing at all. I'm a pretty seasoned old salt and as a result, I'm generally the first to put on a piece of protective gear.

All I want this for is to cover my ass on paper. A few weeks back in the period of a week 6 guys bought the farm out here when a boat sank. As a result, many outfits (including ours) over reacted and put a bunch of new rules into effect that are somewhat pointless.

Several years ago, a crane fell on someone. The whole damned crane! Dead.

Result? hard hats everywhere, even inside!

The mae west is just to appease the safety people. If I EVER deem ANY kind of safety gear as even remotely useful, I use/wear/operate it instantly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]
These are considered some of the best aviation inflatable vests around.

www.switlik.com/

Look at the Helicopter Crew Vest

downside is $$$

These are likely the cheapest

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/249289/10001/12387/106/8

This is what I wear when I need to wear a PFD, but don't want to.

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/232784/10001/12387/106/8
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
[
I'm NOT trusting my life to this damned thing at all. I'm a pretty seasoned old salt and as a result, I'm generally the first to put on a piece of protective gear.

All I want this for is to cover my ass on paper. A few weeks back in the period of a week 6 guys bought the farm out here when a boat sank. As a result, many outfits (including ours) over reacted and put a bunch of new rules into effect that are somewhat pointless.

Several years ago, a crane fell on someone. The whole damned crane! Dead.

Result? hard hats everywhere, even inside!

The mae west is just to appease the safety people. If I EVER deem ANY kind of safety gear as even remotely useful, I use/wear/operate it instantly.

A piece of 65 year old gear that you aren't sure even works anymore IS nothing more than covering yourself on paper. Even old salts die. The safety rule is there for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The safety rule is there for a reason.

Most safety rules ARE there for a bona fide reason.

MOST being the operative word here.

SOME Safety rules are there for no good reason whatsoever.

Others are there to cover one's ass legally.

And SOME safety rules are detrimental to safety, period.

Several years ago I refused to wear a life jacket on the edge of an icy deck.

WHY??

because instead I wore a harness and double teather. I was clipped to the vessel at all times.

They tried to hammer me for it when I got ratted out by some goody-2 shoes trying to make a name for himself.

My answer? Simple. In that weather, if I had hit the water, I'd have been dead before I could have been fished out. Plain and simple. Dead.The harness was designed to PREVENT me from hitting the water in the first place.

Uh.Uh.Uh.  Gee, you're right.(blush) Duh.

FWIW, the harness is something of mine that I brought out here from my sailboat delivery days.

For another thing, (back to the wonderful one size fits all safety rules) we have a nickname for the Coast Guard mandated Kapok PFD. They're called 'body finders'. Savvy seamen have exposure suits and practice donning them regularly. I do. I also check mine and talc it to make it easy to don.

Back in the so-called 'perfect storm', I was off the coast of Maine headed for Portland with 90K barrels of #6 oil when some stuff on deck broke loose. We had to secure it. We also only had about 4 feet of freeboard.
Think I went for the company mandated work vest? the Coast Guard approved Kapok?

No way in hell.

I went for my harness and also made one up for my shipmate out of some overkill stout line. BOTH of us got slapped hard by a wave that took the short cut across the deck.  I was under water for a while, so was my partner. When we came around, GUESS WHAT? We were still aboard. Beat to hell, sure, but we were aboard.

Had we obeyed the safety rule, my lifeless, waterlogged body would have washed up on the beach by President Bush's little place in Kennebunkport.

Many safety rules are reactive. For example, wear a life jacket in case you fall in.

I tend to take a proactive approach. Why not wear a harness so you DON'T fall in.

Another time, we were issued parafin wax to lube the survival suit zippers. I took all the parafin chunks and threw them over the side. Why? because parafin is a petrol based product and not really too good for the rubber type materiel the suits were made of. Instead, I took the BEESWAX out of my ditty bag and passed it around.

Ass chewing time for Piccolo. Until I showed the safety guy a piece of the exposure suits company that explicitly recommended beeswax.

I take safety out here VERY seriously.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top