Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
Just remember the Chinese and the Russians are our friends.

Iran has missiles to carry nuclear warheads

By Con Coughlin
(Filed: 07/04/2006)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/07/wiran07.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/07/ixnewstop.html

Iran has successfully developed ballistic missiles with the capability to carry nuclear warheads.

Detailed analysis of recent test firings of the Shahab-3 ballistic missile by military experts has concluded that Iran has been able to modify the nose cone to carry a basic nuclear bomb. The discovery will intensify international pressure on Teheran to provide a comprehensive breakdown of its nuclear research programme.

An Iranian Shahab-3 missile on parade in Teheran

Last week, the United Nations Security Council gave Iran 30 days to freeze its uranium enrichment programme that many experts believe is part of a clandestine attempt to produce nuclear weapons.

Iran denies it is trying to acquire a nuclear arsenal. But ballistic missile experts advising the United States say it has succeeded in reconfiguring the Shahab-3 to carry nuclear weapons.

The Shahab-3 is a modified version of North Korea's Nodong missile which itself is based on the old Soviet-made Scud.

The Nodong, which Iran secretly acquired from North Korea in the mid-1990s, is designed to carry a conventional warhead. But Iranian engineers have been working for several years to adapt the Shahab-3 to carry nuclear weapons.

"This is a major breakthrough for the Iranians," said a senior US official. "They have been trying to do this for years and now they have succeeded. It is a very disturbing development."

The Shahab 3 has a range of 800 miles, enabling it to hit a wide range of targets throughout the Middle East - including Israel.

Apart from modifying the nose cone, Iranian technicians are also trying to make a number of technical adjustments that will enable the missile to travel a greater distance.

Western intelligence officials believe that Iran is receiving assistance from teams of Russian and Chinese experts with experience of developing nuclear weapons. Experts who have studied the latest version of the Shahab have identified modifications to the nose cone.

Instead of the single cone normally attached to this type of missile, the new Shahab has three cones, or a triconic, warhead. A triconic warhead allows the missile to accommodate a nuclear device and this type of warhead is normally found only in nuclear weapons.

According to the new research, the Iranian warhead is designed to carry a spherical nuclear weapon that would be detonated 2,000 feet above the ground, similar to the Hiroshima bomb.

Although US defence officials believe that Iran is several years away from acquiring nuclear weapons, they point out that the warhead could hold a version of the nuclear bomb Pakistan is known to have developed. Iran has acquired a detailed breakdown of Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

The development of the Shahab-3 is just one element of a wide-ranging missile development programme.

In 2003 the Iranians concluded another secret deal with North Korea to buy the Taepo Dong 2 missile, which has a range of 2,200 miles and would enable Iran to hit targets in mainland Europe.

Earlier this week the Iranians announced that they had successfully test-fired a new missile, the Fajr-3, which has the capability to evade radar systems and carry multiple warheads.

Information appearing on telegraph.co.uk is the copyright of Telegraph Group Limited and must not be reproduced in any medium without licence. For the full copyright statement see Copyright

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG.

IBLWIOTFOTE.

In Before Lets Wipe Iran Off The Face Of The Earth.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If true, nuke that bastards.

If it's wag the dog, nuke the bastards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I find this disturbing.

Does this remind anybody of a few years ago when we were working up to invading Iraq?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go in blow the place to hell and find as usual. NOTHING.

[flame suit on]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If true, nuke that bastards.

If it's wag the dog, nuke the bastards.

If its none of the above...Nuke the Bastards
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I find this disturbing.

Does this remind anybody of a few years ago when we were working up to invading Iraq?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go in blow the place to hell and find as usual. NOTHING.

[flame suit on]

That suit better be thick.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I find this disturbing.

[flame suit on]

But we did stop Iraq from switching to the Euro for oil-which is what Iran is also supposedly going to do very soon.

Coincidence?

[tinfoil suit on]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Shit, looks like it can barely hit Paris.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Shahab? That sounds like some kind of soup.
My kids could come up with a better name than that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It'll take some very special forces to sneak in Iran and blow that thing up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wow - they can reach Denmark with that shitty missile??    Still, who knows how accurate their guidance systems are.

I guess we'll see how angry they really are over that cartoon.  

Maybe they'll launch the missile at Denmark and hit Sweden instead.  That would be a win-win
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shahab? That sounds like some kind of soup. <Snip>  

That alone is reason enough to nuke the bastards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Go back to sleep, people. Iran's nuclear program is for energy only. Just ask them, it's totally for peaceful purposes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And that would be a bad thing?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
India has a lot of people. Maybe we can cede some land to the west of Pakistan in exchange for some "regional cooperation".
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2006/04/07/wiran07.gif

Wow - they can reach Denmark with that shitty missile??    Still, who knows how accurate their guidance systems are.

You don't have to be all that accurate with a nuke. If you airburst within 25 miles of a populated area then you are going to kill alot of people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
"Flight lead"..."Master Arm"...BOOM!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Ballistic missiles, I am not worried about.

Nukes in terrorist hands, I am.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Iran is a terrorist nation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Maybe they'll launch the missile at Denmark and hit Sweden instead.  That would be a win-win

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Meh.. Let them blow up that side of the planet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iran is a terrorist nation.

A trenchant observation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Why is our government sitting around with their thumbs up their ass on this? Are we going to wait for them to build it first then say "Damn, We should have kept them from building that"
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why is our government sitting around with their thumbs up their ass on this? Are we going to wait for them to build it first then say "Damn, We should have kept them from building that"

We considered nuking the Chinese nuclear development complex in 1964 to prevent them getting the bomb.  If we had done that, they probably would have taken Iran's smart, widely-spread approach to nuke development, make it hard to decisively stop them instead of easily killing the snake by cutting off its head.  Course, we would have offed all their top people.  They'd be hard to replace.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That is exactly what is going to happen.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#26]
war is on the horizon...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant that they could barely hit Paris.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not likely.... FAS.org states that it has a CEP (Circular Error Probability) of 190 meters. That's plenty accurate enough when talking about nukes.

www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iran/missile/shahab-3.htm

Technical Details

Range (km) 1,350-1,500
CEP (m) 190
(Previously thought to be
several thousand meters)
Diam. (m) 1.32-1.35
Height (m) 15.852-16
Launch Weight Mass (kg) 15,852-16,250
Stage Mass (kg) 15,092
Dry Weight Mass (kg) 1,780-2,180
Thrust (Kg f) Effective: 26,051 (-709)
Actual: 26,760-26,600
Burn time (sec.) 110
Isp. (sec.) Effective: 226 - SL due to vains
steering drag loss of 45 sec.
Actual: 230
Vac.: 264
Thrust Chamb. 1
Fuel TM-185
   20% Gasoline
   80% Kerosene
Oxidizer AK-27I
   27% N2O4
   73% HNO3
   Iodium Inhibitor
Propellant Mass (kg) 12,912
Warhead (kg) 760-987-1,158
Type MRBM

The article here here says its 50 meters.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only for everyone living between Iran and Paris.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]
This is why Iran's missiles are a non-issue.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
war is on the horizon...

Don't get your hopes up. And forget about holding your breath, too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably pretty good thanks to president klinton's sales to china.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hah, at least I'm up in the north and by the looks of that pic I should be just out of range
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hah, at least I'm up in the north and by the looks of that pic I should be just out of range

Damn !!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#35]
1) They have missiles, we have ADA... PAC-III & Aegis should be able to swat those down fairly easily.... And if the Air Force ever gets their Star Trek shit working, that's an even better defense (because the busted missile bits fall back on whatever dumbfuck country decided to launch said missile)....

2) We can't just bomb this shit, Iran has SPECIFICALLY set up their program to avoid an Osirak-style scenario (where some pissed off western nation with a decent Air Force blows their toys up)...

3) The reason we don't find anything when we 'get there' is becausw war is chaotic, and while we're kicking down the front door, our enemies are running out the back with everything they can carry...

It's not like Saddam didn't have enough warning to sell/dispose of all the evidence.... The only thing that's against the Iranians on that is that we are pretty well set for a 'suprise attack' due to operations in Iraq - it would be pretty easy to stick an extra division or two into Iraq on the guise of 'trying to speed up stabilization to allow an early withdrawal' or something like that)....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#36]

No No NO! Why would they need a missile like that when they're not even pursuing nukes?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I would have mixed feelings about Paris being hit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Go back to sleep, people. Iran's nuclear program is for energy only. Just ask them, it's totally for peaceful purposes.

Yep,Peak Oil.They know they are running out of oil and need to get a reactor on line and buy/build all there toys now.In a couple years,the wells will start running dry.

They need to make there move for world conquest now,before it's too late.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top