Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:09:37 PM EDT

www.tampabays10.com/weird/weird_article.aspx?storyid=28380

Prosecutors tried to seize gold caps from drug suspects' teeth

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — Two drug suspects in Washington state nearly had some unwanted dental work.

Government lawyers tried to confiscate the gold tooth caps from the mouths of the two men, saying the dental work qualified as seizable assets.

The two were in a vehicle on the way to a dental clinic by the time a judge was persuaded to stop the procedure.

Lawyers and documents from the case say that prosecutors had a warrant to seize the gold dental work, but they eventually abandoned the effort.

As it turns out, the caps — which can cost tens of thousands of dollars for a full set — weren't removable.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Seattle says prosecutors were "under the impression that these snapped out like a retainer."
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:12:02 PM EDT
gotta love the neo-prohibitionists and their excesses in the WoD.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:12:20 PM EDT
Damn, sounds like something the Sheriff of Nottingham would do. Bodies aren't even cold yet..
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:12:41 PM EDT
Please tell me it's real gold and not the $65 for 4 gold teeth deals you see on the signs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:13:10 PM EDT
think the teeth decoration thing is odd.. have you heard of 'grills'....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:16:07 PM EDT
Remember this next time ya'll bitch about defense lawyers. Without them, .gov would literally pull the fillings from you teeth.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
Dey Jus Reclamin' doze Gold Fronts!
Buncha Gubmint Thugs
Chumpz..
Azzholez..

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:23:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:26:56 PM EDT
Let me see your grill.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:09:10 PM EDT
Drug bunnies or not that is just fucked up .

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:12:02 PM EDT
Fuck, man, I go up the river, I don't want the federales pulling my teeth, you know? I mean, not to invoke Godwin's Law, but the Nazis did that shit. Serious.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:40:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
Fuck, man, I go up the river, I don't want the federales pulling my teeth, you know? I mean, not to invoke Godwin's Law, but the Nazis did that shit. Serious.

That is the first thing I thought of, but didn't they wait until people were dead to remove the gold?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:49:59 PM EDT
I'm far from a government appologist, but this isn't as bad as it seems. The prosecutor thought they just snapped off, like a retainer. If he was right (and they were purely ornamental, having no medical use), he wouldn't have been out of line. To them, these were no different than jewlrey. When he found out that this wasn't the case, they dropped it.

At worst, the prosecutors are idiots. How they managed to get law degrees escapes me. That's some powerful stupid. Far from barbaric, they are simply morons with government jobs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:00:12 PM EDT
So what? take everyting he has.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:03:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
I'm far from a government appologist, but this isn't as bad as it seems. The prosecutor thought they just snapped off, like a retainer. If he was right (and they were purely ornamental, having no medical use), he wouldn't have been out of line. To them, these were no different than jewlrey. When he found out that this wasn't the case, they dropped it.

At worst, the prosecutors are idiots. How they managed to get law degrees escapes me. That's some powerful stupid. Far from barbaric, they are simply morons with government jobs.

Hang around with some lawyers and then try to render your verdict. I know several and had several friends from high school that are lawyers, with one being a district judge. They are all great guys and have good legal minds. Just don't ask them about anything outside of the courtroom.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:12:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:19:03 AM EDT
Here is what I have learned about gold teeth as a recruiter in a ghetto school:

There are two kinds, permenant and non permenant. The non permenant ones do go in and out just like a retainer. No amount of dental work is required to put them in or take them out. I had a kid interested in joining who had a full set of gold teeth. I asked him to let me see them and instead of smiling or pulling his lips back, he snapped them out and handed them to me.

The permenant ones do not come out as they are put on the same was as the caps(crowns?) you get from the dentist. The actual teeth are individually ground down to make room for the cap. Afterwards, the teeth are fucked if the caps are off.

If these guys thought that the teeth snapped in and out like a retainer, why didn't they just walk into the jail and tell the dealers to hand them over?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:37:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By joker581:
If these guys thought that the teeth snapped in and out like a retainer, why didn't they just walk into the jail and tell the dealers to hand them over?

Excellent point. I think the prosecutors had every intention of removing them, by whatever force was necessary. Then have the taxpayers pay for their dental work.

I have no sympathy for drug dealers either, but pulling gold teeth . . .
Top Top