Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 4:37:16 PM EDT
Are these for Harley posers or are these realy nice alternatives for a cruiser bike.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Poser they suck don't buy them.  Go with a real HOG.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
buy whatever floats your boat. who cares what others think.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Only if you're a mechanic with more money than brains.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought  my V*Star 110 Classic in '02 as a first bike.  Great machine.  The only problem was that changing the oil required removing the front exhaust pipe.  Kinda silly.  An aftermarket relocation kit for $150 fixed that.

Sold it last October and bought a Roadstar 1700.  I love it.

Great machines, easy to maintain, lots of aftermarket parts, (except for the new Stratoliners that just came out this year), and half or one-third the cost of others.

Was an easy decision for me....

Bottom line is what the previous poster said. Buy what you want, ride what you want, forget what everyone else says. It's YOUR Bike.

-J
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Posted by someone who prob doesnt even ride...I have a Star and love it. You can do most of your own maint and you dont have to mortgage your home to buy one. Granted I would love to have a Harley someday, this fits the bill just fine for now, and if you go to any rallies no one looks at you any different if your on a Star. Everyone there riding is a Biker, not a poser!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Star, and I love it.  It didn't come with the factory oil leak like the Harleys, though.  I feel deprived, somehow.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
wow, i'm glad to see all these positive replies. i'm thinking about picking up a used one, maybe 2 years old.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I started with the 2002 V-Star 650 custom and then graduated to the 2004 V-Star 1100 Custom.  I absolutely recommendgetting one. 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a Harley .
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]

4 years of kicking Harlys ass in AMA Pro racing.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if you're a mechanic with more money than brains.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. Wrong.  

When we ride, we go to a lot of motorcycle shops.  The Star line looks nice.  I never rode one.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Royal Stars have a 5 year warrantee.  Ask the "Other" brand dealers about their warrantee.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whats the connection with Yamaha?

Star is not a "brand" of motorcycle, it's what Lexus is to Toyota or Infiniti is to Nissan.
It's a Yamaha.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quite possible the dumbest thing ive read in a long time. Only fair weather riders and lawyers/dentist weekend warriors talk like that.

I say if its got 2 wheels and blows your skirt up, ride it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Are these for Harley posers or are these realy nice alternatives for a cruiser bike.

In my years of riding your more likely to meet a "poser" that rides a harely.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.patrick-racing.com/Images/Racing/05/jeremy-burnout.jpg

they got a civilian version of that bad boy?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got back from a long ride on my V Star Classic 650.  I was hanging and banging with a buddy on a Softail Deluxe, and I didn't feel under-armed in any way.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Below is a pic of my 04 Road King.  I ride with guys who own Harleys, Thunder Mountains, Yamahas, Hondas, what have you.  To the guys who truely enjoy riding, it don't matter what anyone else has.  In my experience, it's usually the bar hoppers that make a big deal about brands.  These are the guys who go from bar to bar just to show off their bikes.  They don't actually ride and are more of the "look at me" crowd that I avoid.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
i know 2 people that have v star silverados and they both love them and if they whanted a harly they would get one no problem
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a Star, and I love it.  It didn't come with the factory oil leak like the Harleys, though.  I feel deprived, somehow.

Dude, live in the now.  Go ahead and enjoy that Star, but just don't complain about resale value when you go to sell it.  I've owned three Harleys and made money on each one when I sold them.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's mine:

I don't give a shit what you ride. Just ride. Who gives a shit what somebody else thinks of your bike? It's yours, ain't it? They can have a say when they're the ones paying for it. Until then, tell 'em to fuck off.

If you want a Harley deep down but can't afford one, then save some money and get a Harley when you can afford it. If you want a nice cruiser that won't set you back a whole lot, get a Yamaha. If it bothers you that you "settled" for a Yamaha, then don't get one. If you could give two shits what somebody else thinks (like me), just get what you want.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Let's see pics of your Harley.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
i've seen a few stars around---they look pretty sweet.  never been on one though.  frankly, some of these new bikes are real head turners --they may not have a "patented sound" but they still rock out with their cock out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#25]
harly dosent have a patented sound eather
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#26]
urban legend?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#27]
yes harly filed a law suit agents honda over the shadow becuse it sounded like a harly the judge thru it out saying you cant patent a sound flow master tried to do the same thing to magnaflow
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought an 1100 Classic, back in '01. Really nice bike, easy to customize, and like stated above, it's cheap to make it "yours".

The only things I didn't like about it were, the seat, and it wasn't really geared to run on the freeway down here in Phoenix. I had exactly 10,003 miles on it when I traded it in on an R6 in '03. How many two year old Harleys do you know of with even 5,000 miles on 'em? Not very many is my guess.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Mmmmmm, V-Max

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here's mine:

alan.strawinski.net/images/motorcycle/bike-right.jpg

I don't give a shit what you ride. Just ride. Who gives a shit what somebody else thinks of your bike? It's yours, ain't it? They can have a say when they're the ones paying for it. Until then, tell 'em to fuck off.

If you want a Harley deep down but can't afford one, then save some money and get a Harley when you can afford it. If you want a nice cruiser that won't set you back a whole lot, get a Yamaha. If it bothers you that you "settled" for a Yamaha, then don't get one. If you could give two shits what somebody else thinks (like me), just get what you want.

Wow, well put. thank you!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I rode my Star in a HOG sponsored poker run this morning and I was the only non-HOG bike in my group. They didnt treat me any different and we all had a blast...except for the wind. But hey it wasnt raining.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph...it doesn't matter what you ride, so long as you're out there riding.  I just got back from a nice cruise myself.  I ride Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki, FWIW.

The one thing I will never understand..why o' why won't the Harley guys lay down a wave to a guy on a Jap bike.  It makes no sense, see above

Get the bike, you'll be VERY happy you did!! (and make sure to post pics when you get it!!)

--VT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm starting my third year with my Yamaha 1600 Road Star. I enjoy the hell out of that bike, too. I have ridden in nearly every state in the southeast on it, and it hasn't let me down. I installed higher compression pistons and a new ignition setup on it, but that's only because I like the extra jump. It has excellent power and torque at highway speeds, and is smooth as a Cadillac on the interstate. It has towed Mrs gorilla and I and a weeks worth of junk all over the south every year since I got it, even over the Blue Ridge Mountains, without complaint or problem.

If you are a bigger guy, you'll like the Road Star, since it allows more room than it's most exact competitor from Harley, the Softail Classic. I have more room to stretch out on long rides.

With all that said, I'm looking at giving my Roadie up for Electra Glide or Ultra Classic, just for the extra hauling space and comfort for the wifey. Wish I could have both, but that's no option for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
dude, I would ride a giant turd with two wheels I love riding so much
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#35]
This is what mine looks like, except I have the Silverado saddlebags and straight pipes.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they got a civilian version of that bad boy?

Yea, it's called a Road Star Warrior. 4 times (2002-2005) AMA ProStreet Hot Rod Cruiser Class championship video

I've got a Road Star Warrior and I love it. Here is mine:

REDHORSE's Warrior website
#1 Road Star Warrior forums

I've drag raced it many times and have gone on many long rides. I've taken it on a cross crountry ride of ~6,000 miles in 10 days. It's never let me down.

I've got a dozen Warrior videos from rides and stuff on Google Video. video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6814709048328815444

Can't got wrong with any of the the bikes in the "Star" brand. It is a bike brand with in Yamaha (ala Acura, Lexus, Infinity). So, you know the bikes are made well.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, that's awesome.  Makes my little 650 look like a Vespa.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph...it doesn't matter what you ride, so long as you're out there riding.  I just got back from a nice cruise myself.  I ride Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki, FWIW.

The one thing I will never understand..why o' why won't the Harley guys lay down a wave to a guy on a Jap bike.  It makes no sense, see above

Get the bike, you'll be VERY happy you did!! (and make sure to post pics when you get it!!)

--VT

all they harley guys i know do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top