Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
Was just getting done with mowing the lawn...heard some rumbling in the distance...dark clouds heading this way...BOOOM!!! The skys on fire!!! awesome...hope those in the tornado areas are ok tonight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:03:52 PM EDT
We get them every summer day here in FL. They get a little old after a while.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:06:22 PM EDT
I like seeing the lightning, but I hate losing power, having appliances fried, etc.

I also hate having to deal with all the runoff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:07:22 PM EDT

You guys in and around watches stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:07:55 PM EDT
Yes right before they hit, but losing power sucks ass, and then everything is wet, and if the next day is hot its humid as all hell
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
I love a good thunderboomer (earslittenloudenboomer).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:08:52 PM EDT
I like storms. Here in Florida it's just sun sun sun, until Summer when it rains at precisely 3:10 every afternoon for precisely one hour and ten minutes, then returns to your regularly scheduled programming.

I like deep, lighting-wrought thunderheads at night with a good view out the window. Lightning is awesome.

And during the day I like it being cloudy. It's not as bright out and the lighting is more consistent white rather than bluish shadows and yellowish in direct sunlight. I like the color balance of cloudy days.

And nothing like going to sleep to the sound of rain patting on the window. It's so relaxing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:09:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:13:39 PM EDT
Thunderstorms are cool.

Just hold the tornadoes and that damn hail!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:22:47 PM EDT
I don't enjoy them.

I have too much steel and aluminum in the sky.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:24:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:26:12 PM EDT
Love them!

I can remember visiting the relatives in Oklahoma and Chicago when I was a kid, watching and listening to them for hours. Beat the crap out of what passes for "weather" in SoCal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:26:38 PM EDT
Love em.

the wife hates them
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:26:42 PM EDT
they're exciting as long as they don't destroy everything.

we're expecting more tornadic weather tonight, with 2" hail

right now...t-storms suck
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT

Lightning storms kick ass. The only thing I worry about is if the power goes out for too long, I run the risk of losing $$$ in livestock in my saltwater fish tank.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:41:36 PM EDT
Living it right now. Hate it!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Scope-:
www.scopesux.com/images/lht.jpg

Lightning storms kick ass. The only thing I worry about is if the power goes out for too long, I run the risk of losing $$$ in livestock in my saltwater fish tank.

bad ass pic man.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
I love them!

(As long as I'm in somewhere safe...)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:50:56 PM EDT
Dig the thunderstorms.

Not so cool when the hail starts heavy and the clouds start dropping out of the sky though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT

How does one happen to catch a shot like that? Very cool pic
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 4:55:40 PM EDT by Stlkid]

I did a drawing of that exact picture for my art class. Though the actual picture , which i got from national geograhic, was a whole lot clearer and cooler
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By capnrob97:

How does one happen to catch a shot like that? Very cool pic

Time exposure usually.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT

Look at the tower in the lower left, you can see the bolt going up from it. Lightning actually travels from the ground up to the clouds, that is a perfect example of it. That is why high places get 'hit' more often by lightning, it is the shortest path from the positive ground to the negative sky.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 4:59:37 PM EDT by Tras]

Same here. Gotta get a generator one of these days..

There is not much more awe-inspiring than to see a big-ass supercell form in the distance rising up to 60k feet and have it hit ya with crazy wind and lightning.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT

Love 'em.

Nothing is quite like a monster spring storm in the Midwest. I particulalry like the narrow bands that just rip through at high speed. One minute, it's a beautiful day - then suddenly the winds whips up like you wouldn't believe, the thunder and lightning starts up and you get buckets of rain and hail, and then 10 minutes later - beautiful clear skies again.

As long as the wind/tornado/hailstones/etc. don't damage my house, I absolutely love big storms thunderstorms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:03:18 PM EDT
Man, that's what I miss about CO.

The summer before I moved to CA, we were having some wicked lightning storms. So much fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:11:57 PM EDT
That is one nice thing about Ks. 180 * of skyline means you can watch them comming, from some distance. I love them. Please no dorthy jokes, that sh!t aint funny.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 5:18:33 PM EDT by ilikelegs]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By txwxgirl:

You guys in and around watches stay safe.

Figured you would be in this one.
Me too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:20 PM EDT
Would like to see one, the last time I saw a really really big one was riding the El Capitan (Santa Fe RR's double deck passenger cars) through Amarillo back in 1965. Being in the train and a few miles away we couldn't hear anything but the light show was unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
We had some nasty ones move through, and the further south you go the worse the storms become. A couple of the storms just south of were I live had some rotation with them.

Hope you guys in TN, MS and AL are safe and sound.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:00:49 PM EDT
We have a small houseboat in a covered slip up on the lake. My favorite time to sleep on the boat in the slip is when it is really storming. Wind whistling through the framework of the dock, boat bouncing around. It's cool.

rj
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:14:06 PM EDT
I used to love severe weather. After the April 98 F5 tornado that killed 30+ people, in my community, two entire families were killed, and I went to High school with the sons of both families, the sons were the only survivors, both families lost mother father, and grandparents, and one lost some small children, after that my fondness for them is quite a bit less. I still love lightning, and thunder, but not when naders are involved. Another firefighter friend of mine found the grandfather of one of my friends, 200yds from his home, blown into a mud bank, with only a heel sticking up, they had to dig him out of the embankment. The storm also killed another friends grandmother, several other children, and injured nearly 100 others. Terrible night, that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:19:53 PM EDT
Some cool lighting pics

www.lightningboy.com/

Lighting trigger for camera.

Thunderstorms are cool to watch, even when they are just developing.

Took this pic at Custer State park in South Dakota.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:27:57 PM EDT
Like them enough that sometimes I chase them.'

Now that I have a decent quality camera, I'm going to start photographing them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:29:06 PM EDT
I didn't read any of the posts, but I love thunderstorms. (Although I am a bit tired of my yard being soaked all the time lately). Being in an outdoor shelter is awesome, but nothing beats having all your rain gear on and being out in the woods hunting during a thunderstorm.
I've seen turkeys that were gobbling every time it thundered, I've seen trees uprooted by the wind, deer getting under the trees, etc.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:05:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:08:49 PM EDT
I'm from south MS, but have been in east WA for almost a year and a half. I'm going through withdraws. I think its funny here when they say a bad storm is headed this way here. HA HA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:10:00 PM EDT
I love them. We never get them here though. We might see a few mild cracks of lightning and a boom here and there for a few minutes but that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:15:47 PM EDT
Love them,

My favorite is being up in my families cabin that looks out onto the Georgian bay when a really good storm moves in. You can see the lightning striking out on the lake for 50+ miles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:18:10 PM EDT
I am starting to get tired of the massive hail and tornado shit this year,
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:27:00 PM EDT
Yea, I don't mind them, fun to watch at night.

Not so cool when your standing in a puddle of water, holding on to 80 feet of aluminum pipe in an open field.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:28:48 PM EDT
They're my favorite kind of weather. Well, either that or blizzards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:54:06 PM EDT
Looking at the radar, it looks like it will be hitting metro Atlanta about 0300, just in time for me to be driving home from work. Oh boy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:18:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
Was just getting done with mowing the lawn...heard some rumbling in the distance...dark clouds heading this way...BOOOM!!! The skys on fire!!! awesome...hope those in the tornado areas are ok tonight.

big storms are awesome! Unfortunately for the past 9 months they've generally avoided the metroplex
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:32:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:34:22 AM EDT
I like the summer thunderstorms here: mostly just rumbling in the distance
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:46:42 AM EDT
In a way I envy you folks back east. Out here in california, when it rains that's all it does, it just rains. No thunder, no lightning, just f'in rain, day after day after day. Then it clears up one day in the spring and we'll get nine solid months of sun. Nothing exciting about that at all.

-Gator
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:53:47 AM EDT
I absolutely LOVE a sound and light show put on by the Almighty. ESPECIALLY when it's happening but NOT RAINING.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:24:53 AM EDT
This morning in Duluth at about 0500, there was one hell of a light show. It was basically non-stop for a while. It was pretty fantastic.

A few years back, I took my film camera out to the beach on Tybee Island when I was living down there. I put it on a tripod, pointed it out to see at a storm going on at night, and did some time exposures. Here are 2 of those pics.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:53:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ilikelegs:

Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:
Like them enough that sometimes I chase them.'

Now that I have a decent quality camera, I'm going to start photographing them.

We should team up and split the gas and go chase the next storm!

I'm game. Motown Steve might wanna come too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top