Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 11:02:00 AM EDT
Anybody ever use a bowflex?
Does it compaire to free weights?
Im cruising into 35 and getting pretty flabby, and concidering some equiptment.
any helpwith this ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a Bowflex xtreme, and I like it. I have been using it for about 9 months now. I have lost 80 lbs (was 290lbs now I am 210 lbs) and have toned up alot.  You won't look like them guys on the commercials it takes free wieght s for that, but for tightning up its great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There was a thread on this a couple months ago. I think 10mmfan started it.

Had one. You can get a good work out if you know what you're doing, but it is WAY overpriced. Quality is sub par for what you are paying.

Bowflex is the Bose of the exercise world. All hype and marketing that convinces people they are the best.

If you want a compact bow-based machine, get a weider max. You can find them from $300 to $400 at local stores. Better quality construction (really) plus you can add another 200 lbs of resistance for about $100 to $150.

Note: Neither the bowflex or the weider max will allow you to do a proper squat. They suck at that. If that's important to you, just get a cage, an olympic bar and weights, and a manta ray for your neck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Had one. You can get a good work out if you know what you're doing, but it is WAY overpriced. Quality is sub par for what you are paying.

Bowflex is the Bose of the exercise world. All hype and marketing that convinces people they are the best.

If you want a compact bow-based machine, get a weider max. You can find them from $300 to $400 at local stores. Better quality construction (really) plus you can add another 200 lbs of resistance for about $100 to $150.

Note: Neither the bowflex or the weider max will allow you to do a proper squat. They suck at that. If that's important to you, just get a cage, an olympic bar and weights, and a manta ray for your neck.

I got mine on Sale at Dicks Sporting goods for $899(regular price was $1299), look around you can find them at a decent price.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have to buy one, look on ebay-there should be lot of failed New Year's resolutions for sale this time of year...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got mine on Sale at Dicks Sporting goods for $899(regular price was $1299), look around you can find them at a decent price.

Unless they've really improved their quality control, it's probably not even worth that much to me.

In my time of having a bowflex, I had the back board break (they later did a recall) had two plastic handles break, two cables get worn out, and had the center column jump up during tricep press downs because of a poor design (they did a recall for that as well, but I fixed it with a drill and a 20 cent bolt.)

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless they've really improved their quality control, it's probably not even worth that much to me.

In my time of having a bowflex, I had the back board break (they later did a recall) had two plastic handles break, two cables get worn out, and had the center column jump up during tricep press downs because of a poor design (they did a recall for that as well, but I fixed it with a drill and a 20 cent bolt.)

I have had mine since August of last year and have not had the first bit of trouble out of it. I work out on it 4 days week and hour and half at a time, (circut training). So its getting a pretty good work out not just sitting in the corner gathering dust.

Its just like anything else mechenical sometimes you get a lemon. I like mine, it does what I what and I like the results. Different strokes and all that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am (was) free weight only until the aging back went south.
Bowflex is not a free weight replacement by any means
but for bad backs like mine. It kicks ass. Main beef is
little negative resistance and a limited, linear range of motion.
For me Bowflex is better than nothing. If your back is not messed up like mine,
join a gym. Bowflex is great for geezers and bad back people like me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the input fellers
anybody else?

ill rub my hairy body down with baby oil and post pics of my new bodys results

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
10mm started it and was to have the Bowflex Extreme, Stairwalker or whatever and some weights by Feb. 7.  The idiots at Bowflex have double shipped, and double billed of course, every piece and have my account totally F'd up.  

Finally got everything we were supposed to have two months ago last week.  Those people have to be retarded!!!  I'm exhausted from listening to my wife deal with those numbnuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top