Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/7/2006 8:11:55 AM EDT
Are there any other more affordable filter elements for whole house water filters?
I just bought a whole house water filter that uses 1" fittings and the filter element required looks like a roll of paper towels (but much stiffer and made of a pleated polymer material).

I recall reading that large diesel trucks used toilet paper? rolls for bypass engine oil filters. Could I just use rolls of Bounty in my whole house water filter?

Based on how the filter housing is designed, it works like the filters used for air compressor lines. The heavy stuff falls to the bottom and has to pass through the element as it goes towards the core of the filter and into the outlet plumbing. A paper towel roll should theoretically do the same thing assuming the cardboard tube core is permeable and doesn't just break apart. If the paper towel roll is a crappy idea, do you have any other suggestions? The GE filters are like $10-$20 each.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
Buy the 50 micron washable polyester filters. I have two. I'll pull one & put in the other, take the dirty one & rinse it clean and soak it in some clorox, let it dry and stow it until the next change is due. TEK Supply carries them.

Tek Supply Page
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
Is 50 micron enough to filter out most of the crap in the water?

Is there an interchange chart for part #s/sizes?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:52:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

Simply measure your element. The filters remove sediment, they do nothing to treat taste odor etc. You asked about using paper so I presume that all you are interested in is sediment. Go finer if you like, you will lose some GPM as you go to a finer micron filter and you'll have to service it more frequently. Ideally you'd install a pressure guage on the inlet & outlet to measure the pressure drop across the filter to determine when it needs to be cleaned. If you are having issues with a significant amount of sediment in your water then you need to add a centrifugal sand seperator to your system up stream of the filter. The big bonus of the polyester filters is being able to clean them. Sand Seperator

No mention of whether you have city or well water.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:56:06 AM EDT
I'm using city water. In the house I used to live in, we had a whole house filter with the white roll filters that removed sediment. They would become clogged with yellowish crap and gunk after 3 months.

Wouldn't the chlorox or bleach stay inside the filter elements? Would that be safe for drinking/washing?

The GE filter for my unit is 9.5" x 4.5" (looks like 9.75" x 4.5" is the one I need). Are there only a few standard sizes?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:56:19 AM EDT
pfffft - filter. Just pack it full of your old used socks and or wifes pantyhose. That'll filter out the big chunks, just drink through clenched teeth to get the rest.

you should have been a boyscout. You'd have learned that giardia is just a good way to clean out your bowels from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 8:59:33 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]

I don't think so. I run 0.2 micron ceramic elements.

Although that's a drip filter in a separate unit, not whole house.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:06:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT by CS223]

I'm using city water. In the house I used to live in, we had a whole house filter with the white roll filters that removed sediment. They would become clogged with yellowish crap and gunk after 3 months.

Wouldn't the chlorox or bleach stay inside the filter elements? Would that be safe for drinking/washing?

The GE filter for my unit is 9.5" x 4.5" (looks like 9.75" x 4.5" is the one I need). Are there only a few standard sizes?

Pretty much standard sizes. The polyester is a thin cloth like material not a roll of yarn like your other filters. There is no retention of clorox in the filter media. It has a short half life anyway and FWIW, they pump Clorox in your city water.

If I were you, I would install a 50 micron filter or a little finer. The city water won't have the level of sediment like well water. Then I would install a water softner down stream of that which will take out all the mineral crud, then install a reverse osmosis water filter for your cooking & drinking water which will take out all the residual chemicals, chlorine etc. If you can stick two pieces of PVC together, you can do this all for well under $1000. If you pay someone, they will ass rape you for $3000 or more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:23:20 AM EDT
This is what I use. It works great and I'm very happy with it.

www.aquapure.com/sysproducts/big801.html

I can't speak to the cost but I only change my 5 micron filter twice a year (it's just me and Mrs. aa). There are no substitute elements for it that I know of.

aa
Top Top