Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:39:15 PM EDT
I know that there are always rumors flying around on the internet concerning this, but this time, I can confirm it from my wife's first-hand experience:

My wife works at a local Starbucks store. A co-worker of hers had the idea to take coffee and pastries to the airport and give them out to the returning troops as a store team and say "thank you." The store employees who wanted to participate would wear their employee shirts and aprons and represent Starbucks.

Well, this particular employee went through all of the proper channels and had to speak to a higher-up decision-maker in Starbucks marketing to get permission to do the outreach. (Starbucks endorses community outreaches frequently...it's part of their listed company goals.) The marketing lady skirted around a solid answer for a while and then finally said, "Well, not everyone supports the war or the military, you know." And gave a resounding NO for an answer.

There you have it.

Half of the employees at my wife's store are Christians and are very pro-military. My wife said that they are going to write a letter to corporate since Starbucks apparently likes to 'pick and choose' which outreaches it endorses.

I told my wife they should mention in the letter that Starbucks has the US military to thank for the oppurtunity to even have such a successful company.

Had it not been for our brave fighting men and women, I'd be asking myself, "How do you say 'coffee' in German?"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Behold, you have come face-to-face with the enemy.

Remember this when the time comes.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So, whats the name, title, and phone number of the "marketing lady"?  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, since this is the internet ...

"Some anonymous guy on the internet says that his wife's co-worker said .... "  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
keep us updated!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know that there are always rumors flying around on the internet concerning this, but this time, I can confirm it from my wife's first-hand experience:

My wife works at a local Starbucks store. A co-worker of hers had the idea to take coffee and pastries to the airport and give them out to the returning troops as a store team and say "thank you." The store employees who wanted to participate would wear their employee shirts and aprons and represent Starbucks.

Well, this particular employee went through all of the proper channels and had to speak to a higher-up decision-maker in Starbucks marketing to get permission to do the outreach. (Starbucks endorses community outreaches frequently...it's part of their listed company goals.) The marketing lady skirted around a solid answer for a while and then finally said, "Well, not everyone supports the war or the military, you know." And gave a resounding NO for an answer.

There you have it.

Half of the employees at my wife's store are Christians and are very pro-military. My wife said that they are going to write a letter to corporate since Starbucks apparently likes to 'pick and choose' which outreaches it endorses.

I told my wife they should mention in the letter that Starbucks has the US military to thank for the oppurtunity to even have such a successful company.

Had it not been for our brave fighting men and women, I'd be asking myself, "How do you say 'coffee' in German?"

you should ask them if you could go and support  a "pro-abortionist lesbians for hillary clinton" group.  once they okay that, you should "accidentally" get lost and wind up the airport...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I'm not buying their overpriced shit anymore
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, since this is the nearly anonymous internet ...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Implying that BEFORE you read this unsubstantiated story on the internet, from a person you don't know, you WERE buying "their overpriced shit"?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey - that could be any Canadian Mountie !!!  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/1715.gif

I thought it was the doorman at the Waldorf Astoria...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/1715.gif

Hummm, looks a little like John Clese in same Monty Python skit.

Oh yess I know now
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand the importance of taking forum-gossip with a grain of salt, but you can choose to believe it or not.

I'm not going to give away the specific store location that my wife works at, nor am I going to give out my wife's name or the name of the employee in the story for obvious reasons.

If this story is true, Starbucks deserves none of my business for yet another reason.  If I'm wrong, there are already plenty of other reasons to not spend my money at Starbucks.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
DK-prof ain't Sgt. Preston "of the Yukon!"...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Starbucks employees eat babies.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My wife has yet to eat a baby.  But if she does, I'll be the first to boycott her.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

mmm, baby Mocolattas
Starbucks turned me into a newt !!!
a newt ?
I got better...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Ripoff.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Seattle's Best is better anyway.

HH
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought one cup of that crap one time.

That was the last time.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

really?

(never ask a drunk friend to draw a sketch of you!)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Implying that BEFORE you read this unsubstantiated story on the internet, from a person you don't know, you WERE buying "their overpriced shit"?

Actually no I didn't buy their coffee before, too yuppy for my tastes
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
We had cases upon cases of Starbucks coffee sent to us free by the company when I was in Iraq. They were great to us.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We had cases upon cases of Starbucks coffee sent to us free by the company when I was in Iraq. They were great to us.

I'll bet it just depends on which 'reginal manager' gets the request.......  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Behold?

Like this is a surprise coming from a shitty, liberal yuppie coffee chain?

They're based in Seattle, for chrissakes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry edited to be more polite.  I dont want to make a stink, but 20 second of google brought up this.

And I got their crap sent to me in Africa, where the local coffie is 30X better.

Sounds alot like THIS

More starbucks "rumors" HERE

From the mouth of the monster themselves.

Starbucks has the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel. We are extremely grateful to the men and women who serve stateside or overseas. We sincerely appreciate that they are willing to risk their lives to protect Americans and our values of freedom and democracy. While Starbucks as a company cannot directly donate to military personnel, many of our partners (employees) show their support by donating coffee.

Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations. Our partners have collected and shipped numerous pounds of Starbucks coffee overseas.

As an example of this generosity, our partners in our Atascadero, California store sent their weekly mark out coffee to troops in Afghanistan so they are able to enjoy a little piece of home. Our customer relations department in Seattle donated hundreds of pounds of coffee to the sailors in the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group.

People just hate Starbucks.  They are uber capitolists.  
I think 5$ for a simple coffie is stupid.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Snopes pwns ALL internet lies.  

www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

ETA, Man, I was like 30seconds behind you.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]
all the hot MILFs are at my Starbucks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Its all good.
I use it to show my students they cant believe everything they read on the net....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Behold?

Like this is a surprise coming from a shitty, liberal yuppie coffee chain?

They're based in Seattle, for chrissakes.

I was just bullshitting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I was at the Atlanta airport and Starbucks was giving free coffie to the GI's just returning rom Iraq.  I call.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
i dont buy that shit anyway.  the day i pay four bucks for a cup of coffee is the day i pay four bucks a box for wolf ammo
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatever guys.

This is my wife's first-hand personal experience today at work.  Don't believe it if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
So the WTO protestors are onto something.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I know I'll get flamed for saying this but...so what?
So what some people don't want to give free stuff to the troops?
So what some people don't even support the troops?
That is their right.

It's not like any of us buy Starbucks anyhow,
It's not like this internet rumor is not a re-hash of the same shit that has been disproven time and time again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually no I didn't buy their coffee before, too yuppy for my tastes

So I guess the effect of your boycott will be minimal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#37]
 Starbucks was originally one big building, but Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked it into little ones and they landed all over the country. Because Chuck Norris was the star of "Missing in Action" and other war films - Starbucks has been bitter to the military ever since.

We need Chuck Norris to retake Starbucks on the field of battle. Latte or Die!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Starbucks DOES NOT support the troops...First-hand, personal account!

My wife works at a local Starbucks store. A co-worker of hers had the idea to take coffee and pastries to the airport and give them out to the returning troops as a store team and say "thank you."

I'm not sure you're really up on the whole idea of 'first hand' there, Sparky.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was the doorman at the Waldorf Astoria...

I thought it was.....

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]

While Starbucks as a company cannot directly donate to military personnel, many of our partners (employees) show their support by donating coffee.

Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations.

They wanted to donate things outside of what they are given on a weekly basis.  Pastries and store brewed starcrap is likely seen as comparibel to giving away profit.

I also think that the company only gives to non profit orgs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 Starbucks was originally one big building, but Chuck Norris roundhouse-kicked it into little ones and they landed all over the country. Because Chuck Norris was the star of "Missing in Action" and other war films - Starbucks has been bitter to the military ever since.

We need Chuck Norris to retake Starbucks on the field of battle. Latte or Die!!

Don't you mean Molon Latte?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Starbuck's...meh...Their coffee sucks a wet fart out of dead dog's ass, anyway...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Whatever guys.

This is my wife's first-hand personal experience today at work.  Don't believe it if you don't want to.

Sorry that some here posted without actually READING your thread. If it happened to you or your wife, it is  FAR more credible then 90% of what is posted in General Discussion.

I've always had mixed feelings on Starbucks when I've bought their coffee and some weird Hippy Vegan gibberish is written all over the recycled cup. Its possible that a few local branches of Starbucks have supported the troops on THEIR dime - but I would not be surprised at ALL if the management of the company higher-ups are a bunch of commie pantywaists.

Anyone who thinks Starbucks doesn't try to convey a liberal Earth-First agenda - please raise your hand....................Honestly - I dont mind their coffee. But the tree hugger shit all over their establishment has never really attracted me. I don't want to read about the plight of Spotted Owls first thing in the morning - I want a DAMN coffee. Thanks

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought their overpriced gagalicious burnt scalded crap once years ago. I vowed never to drink that shit again, and so far I've stuck to my plan.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

There you have it.

Wie Sagen Sie "coffee" auf Deutsch?  Kaffee
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
all the hot MILFs are at my Starbucks!

Are those the Anit-Gun soccer moms?? Sleeping with the enemy??
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't drink Starbucks to begin with.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#48]
That's why I drink coffee that comes out of my coffee pot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#49]
tag
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I really don't give a shit...

I don't drink much coffee, much less hang out in liberal havens like $tarbucks...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top