Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 10:38:33 AM EDT
I can see the writing on the wall. Congress ain't gonna do shit.

Might as well learn the language of the invaders. That and it aughta help while watching The Shield.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No longer "hand over your man card", but more like "Hand over your A-Card"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.

The overwhelming majority of our new lowriding overlords don't speak anything even barely resembling Spanish.  It is such illiterate slang that it is virtually unintelligible to someone from Spain or Argentina.

I watch the (literate Spanish) noticias on Telemundo every night to get the inside look at what the Spanish language news is broadcasting.  

But just try understanding the local Tex-Mex slang?  They are mostly illiterate in even their own language, and as the people learn it only as a spoken, not a written language, there is little grammar or uniformity because the language changes so much every generation and from region to region.

A lot of the illegal immigrants do not know the difference between the letter 'B' and the letter 'V' because they pronounce them the same.  This gets to be a problem (or we might think it would be) when they don't know whether their last name is Vasques or Basques.

O well, good luck, but all the school Spanish in the world gives only a percentile of insight into the chatter around us at Home Depot
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
you might as well learn german, or some other language.  it will be as useful to you as learning real spanish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is all the spanish you need:

Esta la Estados Unidos.
Hablamos inglés aquí, culio.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I already know what I need. I took Command Spanish for Law Enforcement. I can tell them what I want them to do and get information I need. I don't plan on carrying on any conversations.

¡Alto o desparo! ¡Al suelo, boca abajo!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It couldn't hurt with the latin ladies.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you might as well learn german, or some other language.  it will be as useful to you as learning real spanish.

+1.  I actually know conversational Spanish fairly well and tried to have a conversation with the backpack vacuum guy that cleans the office after 7 (I had to work late yesterday).  I couldn't understand anything he said outside of "it's cold outside" and "you are working late tonight".   I try not to use slang when speaking english to people who understand very little.  But this guy seemed illiterate even in Spanish.  

But I wasn't worried, he was just doing a job no American would do.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be on the front page of the newspaper (in a *very* bad way) before I use anything but English to get by in my life in the United States of America.  

Unless you are a tourist or other legal visitor, if you can't (or refuse to) understand and speak in the English language you can FOAD.

And please, don't come back with "But there's no official language" bullshit.  While technically true, 200+ years of tradition and history says otherwise.  The fact that THE WORLD uses English as the "language of business" speaks volumes as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Do it for the money!
Jefferson Country School district gives a bonus to anyone who knows Spanish. The irony is that most teachers learn the language of Spain, not Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I actually know conversational Spanish fairly well and tried to have a conversation with the backpack vacuum guy that cleans the office after 7 (I had to work late yesterday).  I couldn't understand anything he said outside of "it's cold outside" and "you are working late tonight".   I try not to use slang when speaking english to people who understand very little.  But this guy seemed illiterate even in Spanish.  

But I wasn't worried, he was just doing a job no American would do.  

Geeez...I hadn't even considered this issue.  I took a year of Espanol in college, but in retrospect, we were learning the "King's Spanish", and not what is being spoken on the street by your average illiterate Mexican.

dvo
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I am gonna learn a little too.  

"Either learn English, because YOUR in AMERICA, or go back to MEXICO where you can speak it all day."
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am gonna learn a little too.  

"Either learn English, because YOUR in AMERICA, or go back to MEXICO where you can speak it all day."

Ahhh, the irony.

You're
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
One GOOD thing about Spanish is that you can immediately set the tone of the conversation by talking down to a person just by using the informal pronoun and verb conjugations.  Or flatter them by using the formal polite forms.

"Tu" (for "you") is used informally among friends and family, as well as when talking down to younger people and those who rank lower socially.

"Usted" (for "you") is used in polite, impersonal conversation, such as in business, or when talking to someone of higher social status, regardless of age.

As things are, a lot of the illegal invaders do not even KNOW the formal verb conjugations, and thus cannot properly talk to us.  If someone like that addresses me improperly in the informal, I puff up and announce (in Spanish) "I learned formal Spanish in University, and you are going to need a translator".

I learned this as a social worker, and I imagine it would apply to many situations.

Also Spanish is full of extremely hard-hitting insults and profanity.  I am VERY proud of my Mexican slang nickname:  La guerinche chocante    (the stuck up blonde bitch)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Es la Estados Unidos.
Hablamos Ingles aqui, culio.

How about "Comas mierda y mueras, pendejo.  Aprendas Inglés y ganes ciudadanía ahora o vuelvas a eso hoyo de mierda de donde viniste.  Y no sopa para usted!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Spanish is a must.

You think the RAZA problem is bad now, think again.  In 50 years, it will multiply by a factor of 2 or 3.

I know I signed up for higher learning in Spanish
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Es la Estados Unidos.
Hablamos Ingles aqui, culio.

How about "Comas mierda y mueras, pendejo.  Aprendas Inglés y ganes ciudadanía ahora o vuelvas a eso hoyo de mierda de donde viniste.  Y no sopa para usted!"

Oooo, I like that one!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Spanish arms proficiency is a must.

You think the RAZA problem is bad now, think again.  In 50 years, it will multiply by a factor of 2 or 3.

I know I signed up for higher learning in Spanish marksmanship and guerilla warfare

fixed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
¿Qué fusil utilizó pacino de al en el calor?

Quiero pastel.

Bauer de gato puede patear bota asno de norris.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#19]
My Mexican-American students speak Spanish, but they are not very good at it.  We consider bilingual education to be a government program that allows people to be illiterate in two languages.

But then my Volga-German ancestors spoke a very low quality German.  

I tell my students that they need to be able to speak polite and correct English.....because their future Chinese bosses aren't going to bother with Spanish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The only Spanish Im gonna learn is  "brace yo Self " so I cans pop caps at the illegals wit my Deagle and Beamz yo
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
When I learned Spanish, we learned a sort of a cross between formal and street Spanish. Proper conjugations, but we completely skipped "vosotros" and whenever a term differed between Continental and South American, we learned the SA term.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#22]
This is not the answer. Make them learn English!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#23]
At least you'll be able to read the street signs in 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]
best way to learn a lauguage is to hook up for a couple of years with a chick that speaks it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Just marry a latina (like I did).  That way you'll learn some of the language, and you're kids will at least have some claim on citizenship in the new regime.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Bienvenido a los Estados Unidos. Aquí tenemos las leyes. Usted está a punto de experimentar que de primera mano. Por lo tanto, usted está acerca de ser eliminado. Hasta a vista tiempo, usted idiota mudo, ilegal y mexicano.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#27]
fuck that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top