Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:02:05 AM EDT
I know they have labled certain features as automatically unsporting but have they labled any features as specifically sporting?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:07:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:08:39 AM EDT by jchewie]
Two barrels of 18 inch length or longer without provision for a large capacity ammunition feeding device makes your shotgun a sporting device.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:09:03 AM EDT
Barrel plugs, welded bolts, removed firing pins, and cut receivers. These are all good features to have on a gun according to the BATFE.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:16:24 AM EDT
If it was up to the BATFE all we could own would be black powder percussion and flint lock rifles. Under .50 cal of course so we can’t take down an airplane.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:18:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Barrel plugs, welded bolts, removed firing pins, and cut receivers. These are all good features to have on a gun according to the BATFE.

i see your BATFoo is strong.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:23:22 AM EDT
"I know it when I see it."

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:25:46 AM EDT
Evil gun

Sporter
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:56 AM EDT
A manualy operated bolt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:29:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
A manualy operated bolt.

Has any manually operated gun ever been denied importation over 'sporting' purposes?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:32:38 AM EDT
Anything that they feel won't give you an advantage over them would fit the description I would think.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:49:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markmars:
If it was up to the BATFE all we could own would be black powder percussion and flint lock rifles. Under .50 cal of course so we can’t take down an airplane.

If it were up to the BATFE, we wouldn't be allowed to have black powder rifles... Where in the world did you get the notion we would be able to have those. Heck, just posessing a set of blueprints for a black powder firearm would be a class c felony.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:32:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:

A manualy operated bolt.

Has any manually operated gun ever been denied importation over 'sporting' purposes?

I was hoping the sarcasm previously posted would be a hint, I guess not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:34:19 AM EDT

A manualy operated bolt.

You forget who you're talking to. Next time try and hit him in the face with the joke and he may get it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 11:36:26 AM EDT by bullyforyou]

A manualy operated bolt.

though not federal, Cali banned bolt action rifles there (.50cal ban). MA and others have tried a few times for .50 cal bans too, and i'd imagine bolt guns [in that caliber] would be included.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bullyforyou:

A manualy operated bolt.

though not federal, Cali banned bolt action rifles there (.50cal ban). MA and others have tried a few times for .50 cal bans too, and i'd imagine bolt guns [in that caliber] would be included.

While true, mixing federal and state laws in this discussion may cause some confusion.

Ah hell, its already down the tubes.

All you need to know about the BATF can be found up any asshole.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:48:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 11:49:05 AM EDT by Cixelsyd]
Blaze orange.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:06:21 PM EDT
The ATF considers it their mission to infringe on all civilian ownership of firearms. Only loopholes keep getting in their way. Like the Second Amendment, laws, little things like that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:25:26 PM EDT
Good question. They seem to know exactly what ISN'T for "sporting purposes" but can't seem to define what "sporting purposes" includes.

Apparently receivers are bad, barrels are bad. Um. I don't know. Is a trigger ok?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
Well actually I've never heard of a manually operated gun 50 caliber or less being denied importation

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:08:43 AM EDT
Three things I can think of; if I tried harder, I could think of more:

Adjustible sights
Palm swell or thumb rest; can't recall how they word it, exactly
Serrated trigger.

I think we can assume that anything that will add importation points to a firearm can be considered as "sporting features" by ATF, since they see only guns with a sporting purpose as importable for retail sale.

I don't know why you guys aren't trying to answer the question seriously.
Top Top