Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:31:53 PM EDT
My SO's birthday is this friday and I am making him dinner.  I figured steak would go over really well with him along with everything else I have planned.  I have never cooked steak before.........Teach me!

And I need some good wines that would go good with that!  Mind you, I am a college student and dont have much money!

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
season the steak with garlic salt and pepper.  DO NOT MARINATE!  turn the grill on very high BEFORE you put the steak on.  get the grates VERY hot, and then put the steak on.  press it and sear both sides to leave the grill marks.  then leave it to cook, turning only twice, so each side is exposed to the heat only twice (not counting the initial sear) use tongs to turn it.  do NOT use a fork to pierce the steak to turn it, as it will drain the juices.  cook to desired temp, but i would reccoment no more than a medium.  anything more tends to cook out some of the flavor.  (IBTIDLMSM*)

for a wine- a red wine is what goes with red meat.  Fat Bastard makes some good wines for less than $10/bottle, and can be had in most grocery store wine asiles.

*In Before The I Don't Like My Steak Mooing
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Slow cooked BBQ steak with a nice Shiraz/Syrah
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
All your steak are belong to us

You want a dark red wine with steak, or even a burgundy.

So the basics, expect to spend $10 - $25 for a decent bottle of wine:

Syrah(Shiraz)
Cabernet Savignon
a Jammy Zin
Merlot
Pinot Noir
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
You're in Texas and you can't cook a steak? You're in Texas and you want to serve wine with your steak?

Shred your man card and send your Texas I.D. to the State Capitol. Then move to N.Y. or California.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Invest in a $10 meat thermometer so you can take the steak's temperature after 5 minutes on each side - 140 degrees-145 degrees is perfect for medium rare (the only way steaks should be).  Make sure steak sits out (or in a microwave - don't turn on microwave) for about 15 minutes to get more "room temp" before putting on grill.  My advice?  Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and a splash of olive olive oil - pat into it - both sides.  Then cook as suggested above - all you need.

Get a nice merlot or zinfandel (NOT WHITE ZINFANDEL) at room temp for the wine.

Oh, and sauteed mushrooms and onions are great with a steak.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You're in Texas and you can't cook a steak? You're in Texas and you want to serve wine with your steak?

Shred your man card and send your Texas I.D. to the State Capitol. Then move to N.Y. or California.

My SO's birthday is this friday and I am making him dinner.

Unless this is going to be a Brokeback moment, I don't think our esteemed poster is a man, baby!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

hehe...Can't shred a man card... Dont have one... Im female....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Reading comprehension - it's not just for grade school anymore!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Look for a ribeye or delmonico about an inch thick with a lot of marbleing (white flecks) throughout the meat part. Sprinkle a little montreal steak seasoning and a little bit of soy sauce.

Get your grill as hot as possible, put the steak on 4 minutes, turn once cook another 4 mins. This is good for a Medium rare for about an inch thick. If you want it done a little more, leave it on for 5 mins before the flip. DONT flip more than once, everytime you disturb the steak your losing juice. Dont use a meat thermometer, poking holes in the steak loses juice.

Try Napa Ridge red zinfandel (not white zinfandel!) with the steak, its about $9 a bottle and its awesome.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hehe...Can't shred a man card... Dont have one... Im female....

A valid excuse. Disregard whatever I said. Stand by a a flood of replies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My SO's birthday is this friday and I am making him dinner.  I figured steak would go over really well with him along with everything else I have planned.  I have never cooked steak before.........Teach me!

And I need some good wines BEER that would go good with that!  Mind you, I am a college student and dont have much money!

Thanks

Nothing like a good pale ale or a nice red (not Killians mind you) with an almond finish to go with a good steak.

Also you said, "Mind you, I am a college student and dont have much money."

You would typically drink red wine with red meat.  The problem being most good red wines are more expensive.  It is easier to get a cheap but decent white wine than a cheap and decent red wine.

Get a nice six pack.  You'll do fine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to the food network and check out Alton Brown technigue for cooking a steak. It's easy and will result in the best steak you hace ever eaten (use a choice cut NY Strip) For your wne get a good cab spend at least $25.00. Have fun you have just entered a new level
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
for wine:

RED ONLY!

Merlot, Cab, or chianti

You can find nice tasting reds between $5-$10, even for a 1.5L!

Snobbish wineries only use 750ml bottles
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I need some good wines BEER that would go good with that!  Mind you, I am a college student and dont have much money!

Thanks

Nothing like a good pale ale or a nice red (not Killians mind you) with an almond finish to go with a good steak.

You would typically drink red wine with red meat.  The problem being most good red wines are more expensive.  It is easier to get a cheap but decent white wine than a cheap and decent red wine.

The only problem with that is that i can hide a wine bottle.....He knows I dont buy just one beer......He'll want more than one.......If he drinks too many, he wont be all there for the rest of the evening activities!!!!!  I want him totally aware!!!  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Ask Gabby - she knows how to treat a man.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

The only problem with that is that i can hide a wine bottle.....He knows I dont buy just one beer......He'll want more than one.......If he drinks too many, he wont be all there for the rest of the evening activities!!!!!  I want him totally aware!!!  

Hiding the wine bottle?  Rest of the evening activities?  Sounds like you just killed two birds with one stone!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go to the food network and check out Alton Brown technigue for cooking a steak. It's easy and will result in the best steak you hace ever eaten (use a choice cut NY Strip) For your wne get a good cab spend at least $25.00. Have fun you have just entered a new level

ehh. a wine snob.  You DONT have to spend "at least" $25 for a bottle of wine. There are thousands of good bottles in the $10-$25 range. And for a college student that is going to do just fine. After all a $40 dollar bottle isnt going to taste twice as good as a $20 dollar bottle, it may taste 5% or 8% better. But to the unrefined pallet it is going to taste exactly the same, just real tasty. So until you learn more about wine and the subtle flavors you are best to just save your cash and go with a middle of the road $10-$25 bottle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Grilled steak= Red Zin

(Very American) the red zinfandel varietal is the only truly indigenous grape of the US.

Ask your butcher for a shoulder clod or hanger steak (generally much less expensive than ribeye/ NY strip/ etc.)  

--VT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Yellowtail Shiraz would be a good cheap choice.

It's what most of the college students I know who drink wine (including me) get because it's a really decent wine and you can find it on sale sometimes for $6 a bottle. Not too fancy, just a good wine.

I'd suggest picking up a Shiraz and a Cabernet or Merlot so that you'll have two different tastes in wine. Everybody is different. Any red will go with steak, but a Shiraz isn't too heavy. If you want heavy, go with merlot.

Not to mention if this is a "dinner" dinner, it doesn't help to be sloshed at the end of the night.

Just remember, wine lasts about a day, 2 at tops, after that you're drinking increasing amounts of  vinegar/acid. Open the bottle a few minutes before drinking so it can breath and release it's full flavor.

If some college chick was cooking me dinner, one way she could impress me like no other is to have a nice cigar waiting after the meal (even better if she has 2 and enjoys one with me). If you know he likes cigars, I'd suggest picking out something decent. That of course is a big gamble, but if you know he does, you can't go wrong. Just a suggestion.

But, when a woman is cooking you dinner, it doesn't really matter what it is. It's the thought that you appreciate.

All IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If some college chick was cooking me dinner, one way she could impress me like no other is to have a nice cigar waiting after the meal (even better if she has 2 and enjoys one with me). If you know he likes cigars, I'd suggest picking out something decent. That of course is a big gamble, but if you know he does, you can't go wrong. Just a suggestion.

All IMHO.

Already got his favorite!! Im on top of my game.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been known to enjoy a dry white with red meat.  It sounds odd but it can be a nice counterpoint to a well prepared steak.  The whole "red meat, red wine, white meat, white wine" thing has some truth to it, but the whole game is drinking what you like.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All IMHO.

You wanna make me dinner next week?

You're on the right track Impressive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have been known to enjoy a dry white with red meat.  It sounds odd but it can be a nice counterpoint to a well prepared steak.  The whole "red meat, red wine, white meat, white wine" thing has some truth to it, but the whole game is drinking what you like.

A buttery California Chardonnay might be able to stand up to the flavor of steak, also the wine should have enough acid to cut though the fat in the meat.

anything sweet like Pinot Grigio or Reisling or Gverste' is going to taste terrible and if must be drank should be served before or after the meal.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All IMHO.

you should see what I have for dessert!! !

Ask blackbag223 if i can make it next week
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And I need some good wines that would go good with that!  Mind you, I am a college student and dont have much money!

Thanks

www.foodtv.com   run with it honey. Wine is really subject to taste, I have seen people who love some really shitty wine and people who hate some really great wines. I'd get him whatever he really loves to drink.

Good luck with the meal ! You're good for cooking for him, that is a cool thing to do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All IMHO.

you should see what I have for dessert!! !

Ask blackbag223 if i can make it next week

haha, any guy with a screen name blackbag223 is probably not the guy to piss off.

Enjoy your dinner.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All IMHO.

You're on the right track hr

you should see what I have for dessert!! !hr

?????
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Darling???
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ehh. a wine snob.  You DONT have to spend "at least" $25 for a bottle of wine. There are thousands of good bottles in the $10-$25 range. And for a college student that is going to do just fine. After all a $40 dollar bottle isnt going to taste twice as good as a $20 dollar bottle, it may taste 5% or 8% better. But to the unrefined pallet it is going to taste exactly the same, just real tasty. So until you learn more about wine and the subtle flavors you are best to just save your cash and go with a middle of the road $10-$25 bottle.

Amen! You can find some very respectable Cabernet Savignon for $11-$15 a bottle. I would suggest (in no particular order): Ravenswood, Bogle, Blackstone, and Turning Leaf.  

Yummy!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buttery California Chardonnay might be able to stand up to the flavor of steak, also the wine should have enough acid to cut though the fat in the meat.

anything sweet like Pinot Grigio or Reisling or Gverste' is going to taste terrible and if must be drank should be served before or after the meal.  

i'd say that the only chardonnay taste element that would penetrate through the steak flavor would be oak, and it would have to be a california oak-bomb like la crema.  the fundamental flavor characteristic of the chardonnay grape is apple, and your palate would be just too desensitized to pick up on it.  chances are, you'd barely be able to smell it.  and while the acid would counterpoint the fat, it would do nothing at all for the protein.  you need tannin for that.  the acid would literally be cooking the meat inside your mouth, and killing the flavor that you're trying to bring out.

the entire basis for reds with red meat is that tannins polymerize with the protein in a symbiotic manner--the chemical reaction improves the flavor of both, and gives that velvety mouth feel that you just can't get from whites.

we're pretty much saying the same thing, and i do totally agree with your statement on semisweet whites.  they can make a nice lead-in during an apertif, but should be off the table by the time the beef arrives.

as for snaps' original question, you can find very, very good juice for $15-$20, which is nothing at all if you want the night to be special.  i'd lean towards meritage (american bordeaux-style blend) or zinfandel (not white zin), which is just about the perfect wine for steak.  shiraz is also very good, but can be very polarized--either perfect or just plain bad.

the makers of opus one make a very nice, quite reasonable non-vintage meritage called luna.  it also comes in a beautiful bottle.

the zin selection is vast, but check out bonny doon for starters--it's hard to go wrong with anything they make, and their bottle artwork ranges from beautiful to hilarious--quite gift-worthy.  the best idea is simply to go to a liquor store or whole foods and ask the wine steward.  tell him exactly what you told us, then sit back and let him talk.  wine guys loooooove to talk, (if you couldn't tell already) and they really enjoy finding you the exact right thing.  making someone smile is what gives a wine guy's life meaning.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

www.foodtv.com   run with it honey. Wine is really subject to taste, I have seen people who love some really shitty wine and people who hate some really great wines. I'd get him whatever he really loves to drink.

That said, Guiness will make you fuck all night !

and guys really appreciate anal.

Good luck with the meal ! You're good for cooking for him, that is a cool thing to do.

Dude, that is pretty uncouth and uncalled for.  Why did you have to do that?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I like red wine, bu twith steak.....................cold BEER!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#34]
if you have a "high end" marketplace near ya you can pick up aged, PRIME beef- the best you can get.  runs around 25 a pound though- otherwise go to a butcher (not chain store) and get a couple cut for ya about 1.5" thick.

My guess is he will probably help you out with the cooking- I always do- not sure if its the not-wanting-a-charcoal-black-piece-of-meat thing or -just-being-nice- thing.

As far as wine- one of my fovorites (and I dont drink much wine) is Jest Red or Jest white.  It cheap and drinkable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all your help guys!

I'll post pics on saturday..... Maybe sunday....Taking him shooting on saturday!

Ms. Snaps
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'd say that the only chardonnay taste element that would penetrate through the steak flavor would be oak, and it would have to be a california oak-bomb like la crema.  the fundamental flavor characteristic of the chardonnay grape is apple, and your palate would be just too desensitized to pick up on it.  chances are, you'd barely be able to smell it.  and while the acid would counterpoint the fat, it would do nothing at all for the protein.  you need tannin for that.  the acid would literally be cooking the meat inside your mouth, and killing the flavor that you're trying to bring out.

the entire basis for reds with red meat is that tannins polymerize with the protein in a symbiotic manner--the chemical reaction improves the flavor of both, and gives that velvety mouth feel that you just can't get from whites.

we're pretty much saying the same thing, and i do totally agree with your statement on semisweet whites.  they can make a nice lead-in during an apertif, but should be off the table by the time the beef arrives.

as for snaps' original question, you can find very, very good juice for $15-$20, which is nothing at all if you want the night to be special.  i'd lean towards meritage (american bordeaux-style blend) or zinfandel (not white zin), which is just about the perfect wine for steak.  shiraz is also very good, but can be very polarized--either perfect or just plain bad.

the makers of opus one make a very nice, quite reasonable non-vintage meritage called luna.  it also comes in a beautiful bottle.

the zin selection is vast, but check out bonny doon for starters--it's hard to go wrong with anything they make, and their bottle artwork ranges from beautiful to hilarious--quite gift-worthy.  the best idea is simply to go to a liquor store or whole foods and ask the wine steward.  tell him exactly what you told us, then sit back and let him talk.  wine guys loooooove to talk, (if you couldn't tell already) and they really enjoy finding you the exact right thing.  making someone smile is what gives a wine guy's life meaning.

You know, half my family lives in the Napa Valley and I thought I had seen the pinnacle of the high-end "wino" lol!

In fact, I bottled Chard 2 weeks ago.  A very close family friend (may as well be family) owns a micro about 15 minutes north past Silverado Trail.  It's a beautiful recreation of a Tuscan estate.  Anyways, the bottling lunch was T-Bone and we drank the chard right out of the barrels with it.  I thought it was nice.  It was a strong chard though, so I suppose that had much to do with how appropriate it was with the lunch.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#37]
STEAK AND WINE AFICIONADO CHECKING IN!!!

My advice is this: talk to somebody at the local liquor store who knows wines and get a recommendation in your price range.  I like Syrah/Shiraz or a Red Zin with steak, and you DO NOT need to spend a ton of money for good wine.  Spend money on the meat!!  There is a huge difference between a good filet mignon and a bad filet.  Same thing with a ribeye or NY Strip.  Spend a little more at a butcher for your steak, and listen to the grilling advice from early in the thread.  Fast and hot, with a little spice (I like garlic and black pepper in a melted butter/Worchester sauce suspension, brushed on and seared at the very end of the grilling).  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

That said, Guiness will make you fuck all night !

and guys really appreciate anal.

Dude, that is pretty uncouth and uncalled for.  Why did you have to do that?

Dude, I was kidding... Lighten up.

Youll notice I paid her a compliment. But, since it offends your tender sense, I will edit it out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#39]
For me, grilled steak = beer.

If I were to accompany steak with wine, it would be a pan cooked Filet and the wine would probably be a Bordeaux.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah,
Have a glass of wine before hand.
I highly reccommend ....

The Big House Red, (just ask at the liquor store), Coppolla Rosso.
I have enjoyed the Firesteed shiraz (although iffy for steak)
And the Fat Bastard syrah.(I think, its been a while)

The best recipe for steak I've found is..

Get whatever steak you like. I am fond of ribeyes, and NY strips. Porterhouses are just too much meat for me.

Put Salt, and Pepper (Fresh cracked black pepper, it makes a difference). Then Some Garlic Salt, and worchestire and soy sauce. Let it sit for a little while so it soaks some of it up. (less then an hour.. don't marinate it like this, it'll be too salty)

When you are ready rub olive oil on it and your ready.

For the Grill, get it as hot as possible. When you think its too hot, make it hotter.

Slap the steaks down, should hear a good sizzle. Let it sit for 3-6 minutes.
Flip, let sit 3-6 minutes. You're done!

I let a 1 1/2 inch thick steak cook for about 4-5 each side, and its exactly how I like it, med rare (more on the rare side)

Make sure and let the steaks sit at room temp for at least 2 minutes without cutting them, as it keeps the juices in.

Slap em on a plate and enjoy.

Forgot to add, I know its his birthday and all, but I would highly suggest a beer with steak.
Franklu I love wine before a meal, but when that meat is in front of me,
I love a Newcastle or a Bass.
It just tastes soo good together.

Whats for dessert?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Prep: Salt and pepper the thawed steak and refrigerate for a day.

About 2 hours before cooking, remove from the fridge (covered) and allow to come to room temp.

Cooking: Heat the grill on high for about 15 minutes.

Just prior to cooking the steak, lightly brush with some peanut oil (to keep from sticking) (EVOO will burn) and sprinkle more salt and pepper.

Sear the steak on a very hot grill for about 1 minute per side (less depending on thickness)

Turn the grill down to medium or low and cook the steak to desired doneness.

Vegetable: Asparagus with Prosciutto

Wine: Cab or Red Zin

ETA: Meat source:  You don't have to go to a fancy butcher for good meat.  I've been very happy with the strip and ribeyes that I get a Sams Club.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Beer, good beer.  Plenty of it.  If you screw up the beer will make up for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You know, half my family lives in the Napa Valley and I thought I had seen the pinnacle of the high-end "wino" lol!

In fact, I bottled Chard 2 weeks ago.  A very close family friend (may as well be family) owns a micro about 15 minutes north past Silverado Trail.  It's a beautiful recreation of a Tuscan estate.  Anyways, the bottling lunch was T-Bone and we drank the chard right out of the barrels with it.  I thought it was nice.  It was a strong chard though, so I suppose that had much to do with how appropriate it was with the lunch.

man--i'm jealous.  must have been a pretty punchy chard, but as long as it tastes good...  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Darling???

I think she's busted

Lost in all the wine minutia is the MAIN COURSE, to wit, the STEAK.  Might help to know what kind of steak he likes and how he typically likes them cooked.  Ever gone to a steakhouse together?  What does he normally get there?

Also you didn't mention whether you were cooking the steak on a grill (flame) or stovetop.  Frankly I think that a really good steak should need very little in the way of "extras" to be very tasty indeed.  Unless he's a wine nut, spend your money on a couple really good steaks IMHO.  Most of the advice I would give you has already been mentioned, particularly if he likes a steak cooked medium or less.  If he likes them a little more done, I can help you with that (but that's like heresy to mention in public it seems)

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I didn't think you were old enough to drink.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Better yet just go striaght to Ristoraunte 69

Tube steak and cherry pie.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Some excellent advice on how to cook a steak.

For wine:

Rodney Strong 2002 Caberbet Sauvignon. It goes great with steak.

Rusty
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I didn't think you were old enough to drink.

Who me?!?!?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#49]
can anyone tell me if Yellow Tail Carberbet Sauvignon is any good?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
can anyone tell me if Yellow Tail Carberbet Sauvignon is any good?

It's not great, no. Yellowtail Merlot and Shiraz are both pretty nice though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top