Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 2:21:34 PM EDT
Assholes! Just came back from Rio and an american airlines gate person pulls me outta my seat down to the conveyor belts to tell me that my Zippo cannot fly on Checked Baggage. what a sad day, the lighter was with me 24 years, dependable like a survival item, now its gone. what a sad day!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Assholes! Just came back from Rio and an american airlines gate person pulls me outta my seat down to the conveyor belts to tell me that my Zippo cannot fly on Checked Baggage. what a sad day, the lighter was with me 24 years, dependable like a survival item, now its gone. what a sad day!

Sorry to hear that, I know much they mean to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear God why do we travel with these morons. I hate AA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember once some asshole at an airport tried to take my zippo, just a plain zippo...

I just looked him square in the eye and said "I'm from Texas".

He put it back in the bag and didn't say anything.

Beats the f*Ck outta me, but it worked.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I know those assholes TSA AA dont want lighters carried on, burt what harm can be done in checked baggage?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You've been an ARFCOM member for three years and you still don't know that "YOU CAN'T BRING FIRE ON A PLANE"!?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WTF?  No lighter, but you can check guns?

Travis
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been an ARFCOM member for three years and you still don't know that YOU CAN'T BRING FIRE ON A PLANE!?

It is funny cause it made it down there OK, it was a one way ride for that Zippo as if the Mob took it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've been an ARFCOM member for three years and you still don't know that YOU CAN'T BRING FIRE ON A PLANE!?

It is funny cause it made it down there OK, it was a one way ride for that Zippo as if the Mob took it.

You got "lucky" being able to get it down there.

TSA Permitted/Prohibited list

Sorry to hear you lost it mon.

ETA: It specifically states that:  "Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage"

So you should have opened it up and dumped (or burned off) the fuel and kept the lighter. Shoulda-coulda-woulda.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The way the gate guy told me No lighters, fuel or no fuel, its always a good feeling having the trusty zippo in a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
you CAN bring fire on an airplane.  Zippo locker.

You can use this to take your zippo on an aircraft in checked baggage.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
But you felt safer?!?!?111!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#12]
THere's probably some TSA Jerkoff walking around the airport with your lighter in his pocket now.

@$$hats!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Couldn't you just toss the guts and keep the clamshell?  Isn't that what you really wanted anyway?  Maybe in the future you could go to a vendor in the airport and pay them to mail it to you at home?  That's what I figured I would do if I ever forgot to pack my pocketknife before a flight.

I dunno, just shootin' in the dark, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my butter knife taken.

I work for the airlines and during bad weather the employee bus must drop us off at the main terminal. When it does we have to go through security like everyone else. I get called out of line when my lunch bag goes through the scanner.

Guy asks me “Sir, do you have a knife in this bag?” I reply, “Yes I do, and a fork as well.” The guy proceeds to open my lunch bag, removes my ice block, my Tupperware container with my homemade burrito inside and reaches in to pull out my BUTTER KNIFE!

“Sir, you can not take this knife with you.” “What, why not? It’s a butter knife!” The guy replies, “It’s serrated and no knifes with serrations are allowed.” I gave up trying to regain my evil butter knife since I was late for work as it was. Had to break the bad news to my wife that she lost a kitchen utensil to the TSA!

There was one nice young TSA lady that was on my side and tried to get my knife back from that jerk, but he wasn’t listening. He probably kept it for his lunch! Oh, well.

And yes, butter knifes are allowed according to their list.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I recommend bringing a printout of that list with you anytime time you fly.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in Jan the wife and I out east for a funeral.  My Zippo was in my coin pocket and a Bic was in my coat pocket.  My wife had 2 books of matches and a Bic in her purse.  These flew both ways no problem.  

On the way back my bag was searched after being checked because under x-ray it looked like I was hauling drugs.  It was a 11lb white quarts stone I found in the sand at her parents beach house.   I had joked to MrsSyn before we got to the airport that it would get searched.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recommend bringing a printout of that list with you anytime time you fly.

I wasn't flying...I was going to work! I even explained that the airlines gave out the same type of knifes with the meals in 1st class!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here is a link to the DOT exemption itself.  It might be a good idea to carry a copy if you use the Zippo container.

DOT E-14194
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sadly only domestic checked luggage, this was an intl. flight
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Couldn't you just toss the guts and keep the clamshell?  Isn't that what you really wanted anyway?  Maybe in the future you could go to a vendor in the airport and pay them to mail it to you at home?  That's what I figured I would do if I ever forgot to pack my pocketknife before a flight.

I dunno, just shootin' in the dark, I guess.

Absolutely no markings on it but it was trusty never ever ever failed on me. A survival item, but also a good flame for cigars
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top