Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 6:45:42 PM EDT
Number one would be my Remington 5MM. If you can find the ammunition now it will be 30 years old probably and $50.00 a box. Only rimfire bottle neck cartridge ever made. Other rifles that I owned that you don't see anymore. Nylon 66, Hi-Standard pistols, Original Ruger Single-Six .357 Magnum, Original Remington 700 ADL in .280, Winchester Model 70 Mannlicher in 30-06, Browning T-Bolt .22 rifle and Ithaca Military & Police .12 Gauge shotgun. If it's new, and I buy it, then bank on it becoming obsolete. Some have made comebacks though (.280).
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if this qualifies:

My Remington XP-100R.  A rear-grip LongRangePistol that has a blind magazine.

Made in 1993, just as I was "getting into guns", and I wanted one in .308.  They quit making them.

Then, in 1997-8, they made 'em again and cancelled 'em again.  
I finally got one in .223.
Geez.

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Trapdoor (I STILL own one).  Mr. Winchester took care of him.  Oh, sorry, you said modern.  Well, at one time Mr. Trapdoor was STATE OF THE ART!!  (and I kid you not).

Modern gun?  That single shot Ruger center fire handgun on a Super Blackhawk frame.  Can't remember the name of it or the exact caliber it fired but it seems to me it was a quarterbore.  Had problems headspacing the cartridge in the revolver.  Don't think they built more than a few thousand of them.

CB
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't own one, but did consider buying one of Herter's .401 PowerMag 6 shooters. I think it was $39 but ammo and brass was only available from Herter's. The same pistol in .357mag and .44mag went for $59 so I got me a 44 when Dirty Harry was still known as Rowdy Yates! They were made by J.P Sauer and it's one of the nicest 44's to shoot because the handle is substantially bigger than Ruger's 44. I saw a .401 version at a gun show a few years ago for around $50. I should have picked it up as other brass can be customized to fit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Springfield Trapdoor (I STILL own one).  Mr. Winchester took care of him.  Oh, sorry, you said modern.  Well, at one time Mr. Trapdoor was STATE OF THE ART!!  (and I kid you not).

Modern gun?  That single shot Ruger center fire handgun on a Super Blackhawk frame.  Can't remember the name of it or the exact caliber it fired but it seems to me it was a quarterbore.  Had problems headspacing the cartridge in the revolver.  Don't think they built more than a few thousand of them.

45-70 Caliber ?

CB
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My Winchester model 71 carbine in 348.
Browning came out with their version a few years back but I think Winchester stopped making the ammo last year.

My Winchester model 65 in 25-20. Only 5704 rifles were made between 1933 & 1957. I think Winchester stopped making the ammo for that one too last year.

Good thing I can reload those. [:D][:D][:D]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Bat21, I just found an Ithaca police 12 guage at my local gun store. It's 99% in excellent condition. I am just waiting for him to put an Ashley ghost ring with Tritium front site on it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Those damn Moteba inverted revolvers.  An answer to a question nobody asked.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The Colt 2000 'All American' !

Cheers,
RG.nl
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Smith & Wesson M57.  I've actually had gunstore clerks argue with me and tell me that there's no such thing as a .41 Magnum.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#10]
A full size Glock with a 10 round Mag.

What a waste.

Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone remmember the .41 A.E.?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to buy anything different. Big mistake, spent lots of money over the years.
Smith model 547 9mm
Charterarms Pitbull in 9mmFED.
Browning 41AE conversion kit
Ruger .357Max. I did make money on that one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
never owned one but 357 maximum comes to mind
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey Bat21, I just found an Ithaca police 12 gauge at my local gun store. It's 99% in excellent condition. I am just waiting for him to put an Ashley ghost ring with Tritium front site on it.
View Quote

I actually still have mine. I saw one at a gun show for $300 in mint condition with a small plate on receiver that it once was issued to the "Louisiana Department of Corrections". I regret not buying it as it was identical to mine, Parkerized 8-shot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The Hi-Standard was never, isn't, nor ever will be "outdated"-

Modern guns became items of mass production, where the HS was built by hand.

I defy anyone to find me a rimfire pistol with a better trigger, fit, or any more accurate than the HD Military....

It isn't "outdated"- It's just that it's competitors made a cheaper "functionial" gun, and the public ate it up.
The public isn't always the best judge of what is "outdated" either.
God only knows how many Hi-Points are sold every year.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Hi-Standard was never, isn't, nor ever will be "outdated"-

Modern guns became items of mass production, where the HS was built by hand.

I defy anyone to find me a rimfire pistol with a better trigger, fit, or any more accurate than the HD Military....

It isn't "outdated"- It's just that it's competitors made a cheaper "functionial" gun, and the public ate it up.
The public isn't always the best judge of what is "outdated" either.
God only knows how many Hi-Points are sold every year.
View Quote

Saw around Five  Hi-Standards in "Cherry" condition at Gunshow today. Gun store about 7 miles from me has a Brand New "Sportking" still for sale. It's been there 10 years. I bought the sister to that one 10 years ago and love it. Finish is nickle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/v5/9f/Hz/rJ89766.jpg[/img]

Here's mine. New Haven CT manufacture, of course. It's the earliest HD Military I have ever seen, and I am a bit of a HS afficianado. Stated HD Military production began at SN# 146,100, mine is SN 146,6XX, so it is Waaaaay early in the prod. run.

With PMC match ammo (The crap is like $9.00 for 50 rounds) it will print 1 hole at 25 off a bench, and group inside of a silver dollar at 50.

Anything short of a Benelli won't beat it. And to think... This is how [b]all[/b] guns were made back then.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
That single shot Ruger center fire handgun on a Super Blackhawk frame.  Can't remember the name of it or the exact caliber it fired but it seems to me it was a quarterbore.  Had problems headspacing the cartridge in the revolver.  Don't think they built more than a few thousand of them.

CB
View Quote

Hawkeye!  Weird gun-
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a beautiful H.S. model B like new in the box that I bought from a guy for $50.00. I'm not an H.S. guy so I sold it to a collector for $475.00 and bought a Ruger MKII and pocketed the rest of the profit. We were both happy with the deal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Ruger MKII Stainless, love it.

My Hi-Standard was Mfg. in E. Hartford, Conn. and has a 5 digit serial number. I believe HS folded in 1983/84. The new company that makes Hi-Standard is based in Texas. That other HS at the gunshop may be older than I thought. He wants $400 for it. My dad's HS is the Military Model and was made in late 40's. I understand that the 1968 GCA delt the first blow to Hi-Standard.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
S&W auto pistols!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Modern gun?  That single shot Ruger center fire handgun on a Super Blackhawk frame.  Can't remember the name of it or the exact caliber it fired but it seems to me it was a quarterbore.  Don't think they built more than a few thousand of them. CB
View Quote

You too, huh?
256 Winchester Magnum! (.357 mag necked down to,,, .224, or .243). And we think the "Boz" is new!
I [i]thought[/i] they only sold about three hundred.
I didn't like the thing, sold it for $100, now I see them selling for $1,400.00 - [b]disgusting![/b]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought a Beretta Tomcat when they first came out.  It was, at the time, the best *available* .32ACP "mousegun," and lots of people were buying them.  Of course, everyone, including me, hated shooting it, because of the snappy muzzle flip and sharp recoil due to the blow-back design.

Then the Kel-Tec P32 came out.  My brother picked one up.  I was indignant.  Yeah, it was cool, but I had a [b]Beretta![/b]  Well, that lasted for a couple of weeks until I finally shot the P32.  UNBELIEVABLE.  It was more accurate, had higher velocity, much, much easier to shoot due to the locked-breech action, and, OH MY GOD, the thing is TINY!  It weighs almost nothing, and is super thin and flat.

I shot the Tomcat for the last time the other day.  I doubt I'll shoot it again.  It's a big, thick lump of lead compared to the P32.  It's the first gun I'd ever consider selling, if I could get over my aversion to selling (my) guns.

-Troy
View Quote

I gave my wife a .22 LR Bobcat for taking out Armadillo's when I wasn't here. She's actually killed 5 Armadillo's with a shovel when they  made a mistake of rooting in her flower beds in broad day light. Hope there's no PETA guests.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Put me in for the HK 940
It’s an autoloading  30-06 with a wood stock, crappy trigger and one 3 rnd. Mag.
Accuracy is 1” with factory ammo and it flutes the brass necks so I don’t get more than two reloads from a piece of brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top