Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
Mine is Glenmorangie 12yr old, Portwood.  I drink Balvenie 12yr old Doublewood most of the time.  Only older Scotch I've had was 18yr Glenlivet, and I don't think it was as good as the Balvenie.  So, great hive mind, what say you?

On another note, I just got a 1.75 of Knob Creek (my everyday bourbon) for $32! w00+!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]

I really enjoy any of the single malts from the Isle of Islay.....this region (island actually) of Scotland produces single malts with a heavy, smoky peat flavor.  My favorite is Lavagulin, 16 year old...some very earth flavors....very smooth....  Only problem is that it is difficult to find in North Carolina and generally runs $76 a bottle...I know, not that expensive compared to a lot of single malt scotch, but still takes a bite out of my wallet....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Speyside when I'm playing Call of Duty

Laphroaig when I'm just being mellow.. (It's an Islay)

Can't drink any American bourbon or  whiskey,  due to the newly charred oak barrels they use...  to much charcoal flavor for me
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've really been enjoying Glenfiddich lately.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine is Glenmorangie 12yr old, Portwood.  I drink Balvenie 12yr old Doublewood most of the time.  Only older Scotch I've had was 18yr Glenlivet, and I don't think it was as good as the Balvenie.  So, great hive mind, what say you?

On another note, I just got a 1.75 of Knob Creek (my everyday bourbon) for $32! w00+!!

I have all 3 of these, and I prefer the Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood, then the Glenmorangie 12 year old Portwood, then the 18 year old Glenlivit.

I got a good deal a few years back on a case of 12 year old Glenlivit, it is my backup stash.

I'm moving more towards bourbon now, since I have problems with the peat taste of most Scotch.  Makers Mark, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bakers, Bookers and Elmer T. Lee are all now on my tasting shelf.  Knob Creek is OK, but just for variety, not for stockpile.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

great profile and affordable enough to break out on the not so special days
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Lagavulin is a good one, but somewhat an aquired taste - few non-scotch drinkers will enjoy it.  Abalore Abunad is another good one.  Those two are my staples.  My best scotch is a now unatainable bottle of springbank.  Basically imagine a 25 year old bottle of springbank and you might get the picture - I have tasted nothing better for under $200 a bottle (unfortunately).

That said - Give Mark, Jon, and Robbo a try(please excuse if I got the names out of order).  Sounds like a funny name, but one was the former master distiller from McCallan.  They are priced right.  Their "Smokey Peaty One" tasted very close to Lag, and I think their "smooth one" is close to McCallan (sorry I forget - they make a sweet one, but it is not a scotch).  They were great hits at my wedding anyway - not many guests were expecting a Scotch bar.  Thoses were some of the best scotch surprices I have tasted in a long while.

18yr Glenlivet was a huge letdown,  Most of the Balvine are pretty nice.  Really need to drink more of my scotches - have more cast strength bottles that I really need.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
For the money, Glenmorangie Burgundy is my top, but Glenlivet 12 ends up in my glass most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Laphroaig

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

great profile and affordable enough to break out on the not so special days

Another +1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I really enjoy any of the single malts from the Isle of Islay.....this region (island actually) of Scotland produces single malts with a heavy, smoky peat flavor.  My favorite is Lavagulin, 16 year old...some very earth flavors....very smooth....  Only problem is that it is difficult to find in North Carolina and generally runs $76 a bottle...I know, not that expensive compared to a lot of single malt scotch, but still takes a bite out of my wallet....

Lavagulin, 16 is also one of my favorites. So far, I haven't had any problems finding it in the RTP area. I also really like Balvenie 15.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
ATTN: Laphroaig drinkers

Exactly what are you drinking?  I've heard great things, but tried the 10yr, and it was the most horrific liquid I and 3 others have ever consumed.  I WANT TO BELIEVE!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Islays are an aquired taste - they can be quite harsh - and therein liese the beauty

This is how I was told to drink Lag.

Imagine yourself on the bow of a boat on the North Sea.  Ice cold spray soaks your clothes, chilling you too the bone.  You think to yourself - I need some wiskey.  Lag is the wiskey you would want at that moment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The Balvine single malt is my daily drink. Doublewood is excellent and the 15 year reserve is pure extascy in a bottle. Laphroaig is an acquired taste and kind of fills a special craving, not a big fan of it, too smoky for regular consumption.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Islays are an aquired taste - they can be quite harsh - and therein liese the beauty

It was my first Islay, but not for the other 3 who tried it.  The consensus was that it was bottled isopropyl alcohol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
The Macallan.  Straight up or with a couple of ice cubes.  Smoothest I've had.  

Blake
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ATTN: Laphroaig drinkers

Exactly what are you drinking?  I've heard great things, but tried the 10yr, and it was the most horrific liquid I and 3 others have ever consumed.  I WANT TO BELIEVE!

That said, as Islays go, I do prefer Lagavoulen myself...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I thought I was the only one that loved Lagavulin. Plus I think I answered this in another, similar thread lately!

Around Phoenix Lagavulin runs over $80 a bottle. I love the heavy, peaty flavor. Can't say I have another favorite.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
<-------------------

Also Laphroig, Lagavulin 16yo, The Glenlivet 12yo, Talisker 10yo, Auchentaushen & Craggenmore.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
                                               The GLENLIVET  

“A delicious, fine and strong, rippling muscularity defines this most famous of single malts for me. Sometimes, I start thinking that it is overpraised, yet, grudgingly, I have to acknowledge its pedigree. It is one of Scotland’s flagship exports and has enjoyed the best of everything for so long, that I often resist buying it since it does all right without my patronage. However, when I do buy a bottle it always lives beyond the opinion that settles upon me like misty rain, and I have to admit how fine it really is.”           ... Ralph Steadman

Stay safe
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Scotch but it's gotten too expensive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Dewers
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Macallan.  Straight up or with a couple of ice cubes.  Smoothest I've had.  

Blake

My preference as well.  I like it 18 or older, otherwise it should be illegal.    I spent a month in Scotland sampling many scotches at their respective distilleries.  The guys in the pubs in the western highlands always have something really special behind the bar, if you ask just right and pay the $$.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Balvenie Doublewood is DA BOMB!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1

Alvin

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Not surprised that arfcom has members of such taste.  My personal favorites are Laphroaig 10 , Lagavulin any, and for very special celebration only, a Macallan that spent 26 years in the wood before bottling.  Drink more of the Laphroaig than anything else though.  And while Glenlivet is a bit common, gotta admit it's damn fine and beautifully consistent.  Frankly, I was dissappointed in the Glenmorangie portwood.

Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
glengoyne
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I knew the night crew would pick up on this.  12yr old Mac is good stuff too, sherrywood aged. mmmm...mmm...

There was a bottle of 21yr Balvenie Portwood at the store where I got my Knob Creek today.  No price.  One of those, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" type of deals.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Hey Dmin...where in the RTP area are you finding Lagavulin?  In the past two years I have only found it once at the two ABC stores in Cary I have been to.  Do you know one that regularly stocks it?  The main store I buy from says they can rarely get any.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top