Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#1]
There are only a few irreduceable minimums in Christianity, for everything else there is your conscience. As long as I don't have to sit in a DMV lobby and listen to cRap music, what you do is fine by me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good idea.  Let's bash Christianity some more

Well, lets face it, sometimes people bring it on to themselves, I mean, what is this guy, an idiot? How the fuck does a GAME eat away at one spiritually, and suck you dry? And if it was so bad for him why did he play through the whole game...why not just turn it off?

Frankly the guy sounds like an idiot....

Our mind is like a sponge, everything we watch we absorb and it takes a long time for it to leave. I dont think that something like doom would effect me like that. Infact im sitting here while my roomate is watching doom the movie. But I must admit there are certain types of media that I stay away from due to the way it affects my spirituality. I have a harder time connecting with God, because of the things ive seen or heard. This isnt just a spiritual question, its a phsycological one as well, we become what we are exposed to.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
good idea.  Let's bash Christianity some more

Well, lets face it, sometimes people bring it on to themselves, I mean, what is this guy, an idiot? How the fuck does a GAME eat away at one spiritually, and suck you dry? And if it was so bad for him why did he play through the whole game...why not just turn it off?

Frankly the guy sounds like an idiot....

Thanks for saving me having to read all three pages.

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here we go again.  Lets bash all Christians for what the Robertson crowd does.  I am a Christian.  My two brothers are Christians, and we've all played doom 3.  Our parents are Christians, and have never had any objections to something like this.  Our minister has never preached against something like this.  We are Lutherans.  Mainstream protestants.  And I can tell you that 90% of Christendom agrees with us.  Its just that the 10% that don't get all the press.  Its simply a man bites dog thing.  "Christian has no objection to violent video game" simply does not make the headlines.  

Happy, which Synod are you?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here we go again.  Lets bash all Christians for what the Robertson crowd does.  I am a Christian.  My two brothers are Christians, and we've all played doom 3.  Our parents are Christians, and have never had any objections to something like this.  Our minister has never preached against something like this.  We are Lutherans.  Mainstream protestants.  And I can tell you that 90% of Christendom agrees with us.  Its just that the 10% that don't get all the press.  Its simply a man bites dog thing.  "Christian has no objection to violent video game" simply does not make the headlines.  

Happy, which Synod are you?

Well, we were ELCA, but we broke off a few years ago because of the hippie crap going on at the higher levels, so we're kind of our own synod right now (stupid move, IMHO, Lutheran bishops have no power anyway).  I'd consider us "angry, dissenting ELCA."

Of course, it wouldn't be Lutheranism without the occasional schism.  I remember when I had to bury my great-great grandmother.  We were in a little rural town in Wisconsin.  There were only two churches, both Lutheran, and they were within 100 yards of one another.  I asked and apparently they had a fight over predesitination back in the day, and in the time-honored Lutheran tradition decided to split and have their own church.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And just as those here would condemn all people in my career field for the mistakes of a few, all Christians should expect to share the burden of their more conservative brethren. The Baptists I grew up with wouldn't even call you guys real Christians. No offense.

The difference of course is there are plenty of Christians here giving this guy what for. When there is a problem with a cop you guys close ranks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The difference of course is there are plenty of Christians here giving this guy what for. When there is a problem with a cop you guys close ranks.

You see anyone supporting those two NYPD guys that just got convicted? Most of the criticism is uninformed and thus SHOULD be challenged. when there is clear violation of the law and not just internet chest thumping, you  don't see anyone supporting the law-breakers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Dunno if somebody else mentioned it, but one of the underlying implications in Doom3 was that there are some things science / mankind should not muck with, such as incarnate evil, supernatural, playing God, etc.

So it seems to me like this guy missed the point, and that the game is on his side.  Maybe in a roundabout way, but on his side nonetheless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
in the 80's and 90's it was devil rock music, now the bible thumpers are going after video games.

I guess they have to have something to hate to keep their eyes away from the hypocricy of religion
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember playing Doom I when it first came out. There were some levels in that game (the higher ones) that COMPLETELY freaked me out with their imagry and sound. Not a good game to play alone at night.

I'm gonna have to get Doom 3 for either Mac or X-Box.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm an avid Christian, and I think Doom 3 ROCKS!

How hard is it to remember that it is JUST A GAME?

Although admittedly, I DID like the part where I went to Hell and got superhuman stamina.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I really didn't get an anti-christian vibe from that article. *shrugs*
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top