Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:17:55 AM EDT
Donkeys better than wives: textbook

From correspondents in New Delhi

April 04, 2006

A TEXTBOOK used at schools in the Indian state of Rajasthan compares housewives to donkeys, and suggests the animals make better companions as they complain less and are more loyal to their "masters", The Times of India reported today.
"A donkey is like a housewife ... In fact, the donkey is a shade better, for while the housewife may sometimes complain and walk off to her parents' home, you'll never catch the donkey being disloyal to his master," the newspaper reported, quoting a Hindi-language primer meant for 14-year-olds.

The book was approved by the state's Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party Government but has sparked protests from the party's women's wing.

State education officials in Rajasthan, a western state known for its conservative attitude towards women, said people should not be upset by the comparison, the paper said.

"The comparison was made in good humour," state education official AR Khan was quoted as saying.

Advertisement:
"However, protests have been taken note of and the board is in the process of removing it (the reference)."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me the first to say Donkey show!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Let me the first to say Donkey show!!

Let me the first to say.....LMAO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Truth is an absolute defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top