Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:14:13 AM EDT
My wife wants a Hyundai Santa Fe.  We found a 2005 new on the lot that they will sell for invoice (~$22,000) minus a $3000 rebate.  They seem to be willing to work with us, I really think they want this car gone.  I am going to ask for $21K minus $3000 rebate to see if they will bite.  I know the new 2007 should be on the lot in a few months.

Do you guys know anything about the Hyundia Santa Fe?  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Hyundai: bad resale
Toyota
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Aren't those Vietnamese made?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

South Korean.

I have a cousin who has one, though she hardly runs it hard. The warranty is pretty impressive and Hyundai seems serious about selling reliable cars after their initial failure to break into the US market.

I bet a used one would be very inexpensive and if the warranty transers,why not?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

korean
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hyundai: bad resale

Toyota

I don't care about resale she will be driving this until the wheels fall off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife owns one.  Wouldn't EVER get one again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
18 k for a hyundai....youre nuts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Ain't drivin' no Hi-YUN-day!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't Hyundai have a plant in Alabama now?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It tips up in roll-over testing.  Resale value is bad.  Interior room is pretty good and cargo space seemed decent.

We were in the same market and ended up going with the '06 Honda CRV over the Santa Fe and Kia Sedona. The new model year CRV is a bit bigger than the older cars.  Good  gas milage, but the in-line 4 is not beefy by any means.  If hauling/serious 4 wheeling is not your intended use you might want to look at the CRV.  The Santa Fe would be better for the above uses.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Elantra that I bought used with 37k miles on it for $6900.  It has close to 100k miles now and it's had some minor things go, most were covered under warranty, and overall I've been satisfied.  Resale value sucks, as noted.  Also consider what you do if someone smashes into it at 110k miles and the insurance company wants to total it and cut you a $1800 check.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Doesn't Hyundai have a plant in Alabama now?

Yes, and they actually have American designed and manufactured IM machines in there.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My wife wants a Hyundai Santa Fe.  We found a 2005 new on the lot that they will sell for invoice (~$22,000) minus a $3000 rebate.  They seem to be willing to work with us, I really think they want this car gone.  I am going to ask for $21K minus $3000 rebate to see if they will bite.  I know the new 2007 should be on the lot in a few months.

Do you guys know anything about the Hyundia Santa Fe?  

I rented a 2005 last year. Im not sure if there was a problem with this truck but the truck had no power. It could barely get out of its own way.
All I can say is test drive it and decide for yourself. I hear they are made well but I thought it was a pos. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#16]
She wants/needs it for a daily drive to and from work (approximately 50 miles round trip).  She currently has a Honda Civic but wants/needs something bigger.  No off road, no towing (I have a truck).  

I do like the warrenty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
The Mazda Tribute is a much better vehicle. The Tribute/Escape wins almost every compact SUV test.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Our Sante Fe was great at first.  Bought it thinking that we would drive it till the wheels fell off also.  Three years later and the transmission is starting to kick, mileage is starting to suck, and take off power is pathetic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Newer (last 3 years) Hyundais are much nicer than the earlier ones.  The standard V6 now makes a fair amount of power, especially compared to the older ones.  

I have an '04 Sonata.  I have 3 friends who drive Hyundais.  None of us have had any trouble whatsoever with them.  Personally, mine's paid for, and I average about 7500 miles a year of driving...so I shouldn't have to pay for any car repairs for quite a while.  For what I paid for it, you couldn't touch it in terms of comfort/features.  Would I like to be driving something a little more upscale?  Yeah...at the time, though, it's what I could afford, and I've go no complaints about the car.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Our Sante Fe was great at first.  Bought it thinking that we would drive it till the wheels fell off also.  Three years later and the transmission is starting to kick, mileage is starting to suck, and take off power is pathetic.

Which year do you have?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
'02 or '03

They might be better but I wouldn't get one again.  The mother in laws KIA is a nice car with as much trunk space as the back of the Sante Fe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
'02 or '03

They might be better but I wouldn't get one again.  The mother in laws KIA is a nice car with as much trunk space as the back of the Sante Fe.

Kia's are just as spotty.  You can get a miracle car or you can get a financed nightmare.  The Sedona's real life gas milage was something like 10.... 10!  The on-the-fly 4x4 was not working right on the model we test drove.  It would not come out of it unless you stopped and put the truck in reverse.  We were not impressed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#23]
An Engineer here at work has one so I walked down and asked him about it.
2004 black Santa fe
small V6
2 wheel drive
23490 miles
No problems at all

Would buy another and recommends it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The Mazda Tribute is a much better vehicle. The Tribute/Escape wins almost every compact SUV test.

But then there was that thread a couple weeks ago where guy vowed never to buy another American car because of his Escape.

Who needs a 2WD SUV?  I don't get it... that's what mini-vans and station wagons are for.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'02 or '03

Kia's are just as spotty.  You can get a miracle car or you can get a financed nightmare.  The Sedona's real life gas milage was something like 10.... 10!  The on-the-fly 4x4 was not working right on the model we test drove.  It would not come out of it unless you stopped and put the truck in reverse.  We were not impressed.

I just had a brand new 2006 rental Kia I think it was the Sedona it was a small SUV whatever it was, I was appalled by the gas milage, makes my Explorer look like a hybrid. It was having intermitent electrical problems while I had it. The only good thing I have to say about it is it had much more power then I was expecting it to have.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But then there was that thread a couple weeks ago where guy vowed never to buy another American car because of his Escape.

Who needs a 2WD SUV?  I don't get it... that's what mini-vans and station wagons are for.

Thanks U-baddog

The wife won't get a minivan.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top