Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT

Woman raped walking home after police impound car

An 18-year-old woman was kidnapped and raped early Friday morning while walking home from a traffic stop in which Upland police impounded her ride, authorities said.

Upland police allowed the woman to leave alone on foot around midnight near 14th Street and Euclid Avenue after they towed the car in which she was a passenger.

She called police from the south part of the city about two hours later and reported that a man forced her into his car at gunpoint and raped her before she made it home.

Police Capt. Jeff Mendenhall said that despite the obvious safety concerns, police followed proper procedures in letting the woman walk through the city alone in the middle of the night. It was the woman's choice to do so, he said, and officers had no authority to stop her.
{Alrighty then}

"She could have been taken somewhere, but she turned it down," Mendenhall said. "If she were a juvenile we would have made arrangements to get her home. But if it's an adult we can't force them against their will."

Officers arrested the suspected assailant shortly after the woman reported she was raped.

They said the suspect, 22-year-old Seuti Magba-Kamara {Sueiti WTF!?} of Rancho Cucamonga, drove past them while they were interviewing the woman just after 2 a.m.

They pulled him over several blocks away and took him into custody without incident, Mendenhall said.

He was booked into West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga on charges of rape, kidnapping, robbery, criminal threats and forcible oral copulation. Bail was set at $1 million.

Police said the incident unfolded about 11:20 p.m. Thursday after officers stopped the car in which the woman was a passenger.

The driver of the car, who was not identified, was arrested on suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia, and the car was impounded.

Mendenhall said the woman initially waited in the back seat of a squad car while police called a ride for her. The ride didn't show, and the woman decided to walk to a pay phone, Mendenhall said.

She didn't come back, Mendenhall said.

Police said she made it about three miles on foot before a man pulled up in a white Chevrolet Impala and offered her a ride near San Antonio Avenue and Eighth Street.

When she refused, he brandished a handgun and forced her into his car, Mendenhall said.

He then drove her to an alley, threatened her and forced her to have sex at gunpoint, police said. He stole her ID and let her out of the car afterward, police said.

She called to report the incident at about 2 a.m. from the area of Seventh Street and San Antonio.

After his arrest, the woman identified Magba-Kamara as her assailant, authorities said. Evidence was found in his car linking him to the crime, Mendenhall said. Police also recovered the gun, which they said turned out to be an air pistol.

The woman, who suffered bruises on her arm, was treated a hospital and released.

Mendenhall said police don't like to leave people stranded on the streets.

Officers will often take them to 24-hour restaurants or even allow them to wait in the police station lobby for their rides.

This woman didn't want that, he said.

"We certainly didn't leave her stranded," he said. "There were better options for her to take."

Curtis Cope, an expert in police procedure, said Friday it appears Upland police acted within the law in allowing the woman to walk home alone.

"It sounds like an offer for assistance was made, and that would be consistent with good police practice," Cope said.

In some cases, an officer can drive a person home, but that depends on how busy the officer is and how far away is the person's destination, said Cope, who spent 29 years as a policeman and now works as an instructor on proper tactics.

Normally, police will help the person call a cab or arrange transportation. If the person chooses to walk, police must let them, he said.

According to court records, Magba-Kamara has a case pending against him. He is suspected of committing a robbery at a fast-food restaurant on Holt Boulevard in Montclair.

He was out of jail on his own recognizance Thursday night.

Good thing she wasn't armed - someone might have really gotten hurt!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
inland empire southern ca...

ah, NHI
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So are you saying that police should not impound cars or take adults into custody for thier own good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
So, is there a problem now with allowing people to go on their way? She didn't want a ride, and she was allowed to go. I would think that the anti-JBT people here would be happy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The cops offered her a lift, she declined. She could also have asked for a taxi, though why she'd do that if the cops offer her a lift is beyond me. She chose to walk around town at night. I won't say she was looking for trouble, but she definitely could have made some better choices.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So are you saying that police should not impound cars or take adults into custody for thier own good.

Putting aside the issue of 18 year-old girls being out at midnight with druggies and passing up a free ride home by the cops, 18 year-old girls shouldn't walk home alone at midnight UNARMED.

There's a loooong string of stupid decisions made by this girl that night.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Putting aside the issue of 18 year-old girls being out at midnight with druggies and passing up a free ride home by the cops, 18 year-old girls shouldn't walk home alone at midnight UNARMED.

There's a loooong string of stupid decisions made by this girl that night.

I have my CHL but I do all I can so I will never be in a position to use it.  My primary weapon is the gray matter God put between my ears.  My handgun is my backup.   My wellbeing is my own reasonability.

Not saying that she shouldn't be able to carry a handgun with her, but she lives in the PRK ( no real CCL) and she is not 21. ( not saying that I think that poeple shouldn't be able to carry or buy a handgun until 21).

She had a choice to make and she decided not to have anything to do with what the police had to offer.  Nowhere in that artical did they say that the poor girl was abandoned on the street.  She wanted to walk, they let her.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Oaky, skipping over the part where they offered her a ride or whatever and she declined... I have these questions about the story:

One:  WTF is the idea of her ride being arrested for "suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia"??  Either he had drug stuff or not.

Two: WTF is the rapist had a $1 million dollar bail and was out on his "own recognizance" when he already had a nother case pending?  

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"She could have been taken somewhere, but she turned it down," Mendenhall said. "If she were a juvenile we would have made arrangements to get her home. But if it's an adult we can't force them against their will."

Her bad.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oaky, skipping over the part where they offered her a ride or whatever and she declined... I have these questions about the story:

One:  WTF is the idea of her ride being arrested for "suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia"??  Either he had drug stuff or not.

Two: WTF is the rapist had a $1 million dollar bail and was out on his "own recognizance" when he already had a nother case pending?  

No Expert

1) He is on 'suspicion' because he is a suspect - he's innocent till proven guilty....

2) California - don't ya just love it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One:  WTF is the idea of her ride being arrested for "suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia"??  Either he had drug stuff or not.[/uote] - Probably just teh way the charge is worded or how the report wrote things up.

No Expert

- We've had guys charged with murder bond out and commit additonal murders before. Nothing new really.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No Expert

WHY? WHY  Is this SOB out of prison?       I'm certainly no expert either, but I'm gussing he's a flight risk?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to live 3 blocks from there. That sucks. Upland used to be a nice town (a little redneck, but not too bad).

WTF is a Seuti Magba-Kamara?

It sounds like she was on her way to Ontario. Bad idea at night.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#14]
i bet the rapist will soon show signs of an STD and sue the woman for giving him the disease. she'll be forced to pay him several hundred-thousand dollars in damages in a civil suit and criminal charges will be filed against her before she ultimately has to serve several years in prison for not disclosing her illness to the man before she was raped.

i'm just kidding, but now that i think about it, that's probably what's going to happen.

sometimes i hate this place. (the world)

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No Expert

Suspicion of possessing drug paraphernalia --- They probably recovered some devices commonly used to ingest controlled substances.  IE  a glass pipe with residue.  They have to test the residue for a qualatitive analysis even though it is obviously used for smoking / ingesting whatever crap they decided to put into their body that evening.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#16]
At least the POS was arrested quickly. Unfortunately, he wasn't shot in the process.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#17]
"Good thing she wasn't armed - someone might have really gotten hurt! "
No shit.

Thats f'ed up.  They got the car and the drug stuff. woo hoo. Streets were save.

She gets raped..   Sue the City, I say!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I offer to give  or get rides for people who are in bad neighborhoods,   they usually decline.  (There is a reason they are in the neighborhood.)   If you force someone against their  will, they are in custody.  

With that said.   What happened to her was horrible.  She is still a victim even though she made some poor decisions.  

Suspicion of drug paraphernalia.   PC term for person isn't guilty til the trial is over.

Suspicion of murder.   Dude is carrying around a severed head and a large bloody knife.  10 people witnessed the SUSPECT do it.  But innocent until proven guilty.

You understand
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Good thing she wasn't armed - someone might have really gotten hurt! "
No shit.

Thats f'ed up.  They got the car and the drug stuff. woo hoo. Streets were save.

She gets raped..   Sue the City, I say!!

Why would you sue the city? Sounds like the Police offered to help her out but she didn't accept.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Officers will often take them to 24-hour restaurants or even allow them to wait in the police station lobby for their rides.

This woman didn't want that, he said.

"We certainly didn't leave her stranded," he said. "There were better options for her to take."

She's the dumbass who decided to hoof it.

Why the "" next to "Magba-Kamara" is that a race reference?

Is "Magba-Kamara' supposed to be a black name? Sounds like a Romulan or something.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I will bet that Karma had a wee bit to do with this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I will bet that Karma had a wee bit to do with this.

Meaning she got was coming to her for hanging around (and presumably using) with some druggy scumbag who gets his car impounded?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Stupid hurts.

Can't fault the cops on this one.  Nothing in the law allows them to force a person to accept a ride home.

Personally I dont buy her story. She prolly willingly got into the car, offered sex for drugs and when done the driver told her "Gee, thanks for the sex...but i don't have no meth." She knew he had the "gun" becuase he's a criminal aquantaince of hers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, anyone who has ever been around someone with drugs deserves to be raped.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Sad deal.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I fail to see where the cops were wrong here.  The woman made the wrong choices...  sad for everyone involved, you think those cops don't feel bad about it?

They're people, some of them with daughters.

She decided she was a big enough girl to do it her way, and unfortunately she became a victim.

At least they caught the bastard.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Mendenhall said the woman initially waited in the back seat of a squad car while police called a ride for her. The ride didn't show, and the woman decided to walk to a pay phone, Mendenhall said.

Sucks, but she chose poorly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Her bad.

Goddamn you are a frickin' mind reader!

You can't just expect to walk into a lion den and not be a part of the menu. She SHOULD have accepted the ride home. The police are not at fault here. It was first and foremost the rapists, but it's not like the situation could have been avoided in the first place (though he might have just raped somebody else anyway).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I used to live 3 blocks from there. That sucks. Upland used to be a nice town (a little redneck, but not too bad).

WTF is a Seuti Magba-Kamara?

It sounds like she was on her way to Ontario. Bad idea at night.

You say redneck like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#32]
In CA, possession of drug paraphernalia is a misdemeanor cite, not an arrest.  Trust me, the jails out here are too full.  Of course, if asshat fails to appear on his cite, a mandatory bench warrant is issued.  There is definitely more to the story here.  Either:

1.  He has a warrant, or
2.  He has no license and his car was impounded, or
3.  His license was suspended and his car was impounded, or
4.  Probably all of the above.

When referring to paraphernalia, we're talking meth pipe.  Marijuana pipes with residude, but no usable quantity, are not illegal.

Hmmm, tweakers...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top