Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:28:19 PM EDT
I had a meeting with one of my sponsors today to talk about my deal.

Until recently I've been sponsored 50% which means I paid cost for my gear. Recently, a couple new players have come upon the gear market and they really want me to wear their stuff. So much that it's free if I take it and I ditched my previous parachute sponsor and I've been jumping a different parachute the last year and a half. Dont get me wrong and I bet you think what I think about parachutes, this is a top notch canopy or else I wouldnt jump it. That was easy.

This meeting today was a little tougher, it was with my container sponsor. He's also a good friend of mine and times are tough in the industry right now but he does run the biggest player and he has some good military contracts so he isnt hurting. It's just not the killer market of a few years back.

I've got two container manufacturers that want to put me in their gear, one of them is part owner of the DZ I work at so that's a little delicate. That kinda eliminates the other guy. If I switch gear, I sorta better switch to his. If I stick with my guy, I'm good to go there, he understands gear is a personal decision and he would never force me into his rig.

On the other hand, gear is gear and with containers it's all good stuff, just different fit and comfort issues but when you talk free vs 50%, money talks too. I've stayed in my current rig for twice as long as usual, four years, and kept hinting at my buddy that I need new gear. Today we had a meeting and I think he's moving me up to full sponsorship. He just has to put it past the other person who signs the checks, his wife. I think I'm golden there since she told me once how glad she was I stayed in their rig when the rest of the staff wen with the bosses stuff.

I've always hated doing these meetings. Not sure why, I sorta feel like I'm begging or something even though I realize that it's a mutually benificial relationship.

Anyone else sponsored and have to deal with this stuff?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top