Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:25:58 PM EDT
Actually he's been coming in for a while but tonight was the first night I actually sat down and spoke with him. He's the author of this book, Line Kansas : Memories of Korea 1950 to 1958 .. Behind the Lines. We got to talking and he told me that he served in most of the major campaigns in that war and also was in Vietnam in 1959, '60, '61 and '65. He was on the ground in Vietnam during the Eisenhower administration and not as an advisor but doing actual recon and told me that he was even North Vietnam at one point. It just blows my mind that we had active troops in Vietnam in 1959 doing recon and even though I didn't have time to really ask him more about it, I defintely will next time. He was in the 1st cav division recon btw.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You definitely should find out more about our earliest days in Vietnam.  That period is fascinating.  My understanding is some of our best out there on the tip of the spear were volunteering to serve in Vietnam before Kennedy was in office.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You definitely should find out more about our earliest days in Vietnam.  That period is fascinating.  My understanding is some of our best out there on the tip of the spear were volunteering to serve in Vietnam before Kennedy was in office.

Oh trust me, I will. Military history, especially covert operations like this fascinate me and Sgt. Baillie is literally a living history book. He even told me that the names of people killed before the official start of America's involvement there weren't even being recognized on the Vietnam memorial up until about 10 years ago. Names of people like him who were there in the late 50's and early 60's actively participating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top