Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:37:21 PM EDT
i have a hermit crab and its shell is ugly. I bought a new shell for it but it wont get in it. How can I safely get it out of the shell? I already tried tannerite.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:04 PM EDT
Propane torch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:38:19 PM EDT
Show it some crab pron. It'll scurry right out!

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:40:11 PM EDT
Hammer.

Seriously though, maybe you could drill a hole in the shell and poke at it with something until it crawls out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
if the new shell is not the perfect size it wont move, go get a bunch of new shells in a few sizes, he should move in a few weeks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:41:49 PM EDT
You cant make him... He will when he wants to...If he wants to...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:18 PM EDT
Hermit crabs don't know ugly. They only know comfortable. Get a half a dozen shells very slightly larger/smaller than what it is in today. Put them in the cage with the crab and leave it alone. If it likes one, it'll move. Trying to pick a single shell for it to move into is a game you won't win.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
Rack your shotgun...Did you try that?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:43:27 PM EDT
Reason with it. Hermit crabs really want to interact with people but they are hessitant because of all of the negative press that they get. Whens the last time that you've read anything nice about a hermitcrab in the news papers? On the internet news sites? On the evening news? See what I mean? It's always the bad crab that gets all the attention.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:43:39 PM EDT
You need to have shells of various shapes and sizes. (bigger than the present shell of course)

There is no way to get him to move shells. He will do it on his own or not at all. If you try to remove him he will die.

Leave him alone.

He'll change one day. When he molts you could remove all the shells excpt the one you want him to move to, but he may not like it and get stressed and die.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:44:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:49:42 PM EDT
If you blow on the hermit crab, it will come out of its shell. When it does, grab it, then blow on it again. Eventually it will come out completely. I don't know if you've ever seen an unshelled hermit crab but they are wacky looking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
You've got crabs?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 5:51:23 PM EDT by limaxray]

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:58 PM EDT
I had a hermit crab once with the same problem. I tried coaxing, better world, all that. In the end, I got impatient and pryed him out. Needless to say, the operation was unsuccessful. I'm no surgeon, and no real estate agent. A dead hermit crab starts to stink like grannies panties pretty quickly in the summer. Hermit crabs are like teenagers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:53:49 PM EDT

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:06:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Foxxz:
www.anaesthesia.de/museum_neu/images/Chloroform.gif

-Foxxz

Can you still buy that stuff?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:08:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clay_man:
A dead hermit crab starts to stink like grannies panties pretty quickly in the summer. Hermit crabs are like teenagers.

In that when they're dead they smell like Gramma's panties?

How do you know what your grandmother's panties smell like anyway?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:13:02 PM EDT
We don't talk about fight club.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By limaxray:
img.epinions.com/images/opti/df/d8/646656-elec_lg-resized200.jpgwww.centennialantiques.com/images/belovedseafood.jpg

what i was thinking. As stated earlier. Buy multipe shells, it will decide what it wants to do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:40:37 PM EDT by PeteCO]
tag

ETA: I had no idea people kept these fucking things as pets. I have just spent the last half-hour reading about it on the internet. There are even forums dedicated to them.

Funny shit.

Oh, and I found this:

My hermit crab is mean or does not come out of his shell for me. What can I do to make the crab ‘nicer?’

Hermit crabs, like people, have different personalities. Some crabs never seem to go all the way "in" their shells; some crabs you never see "out" of their shells. I’ve never had a complaint about someone whose crab comes out too much, so I’ll address the problem of a crab that won’t come out.

Probably the best way to get the crab to come out is to hold it. Don’t spray it with water, just let it sit in the palm of your hand. Eventually, some of the warmth from the your hand will seep through the shell of the crab and the crab will start to ‘fidget’ and eventually come out. Some crabs won’t come out until they’ve been held a very long, long time. Crabs ‘fresh’ from the pet store are even less likely to come out, because more than likely they’ve been poked, prodded and generally harassed by everyone who looks in their cage. Once you get the crab to come out, talk to it in a low voice. Keeping your hand flat (and your skin taut), allow the crab to walk around on your outstretched palm. Do not allow it to get into a position where it feels it may fall, or it will pinch you. Also, do not make any sudden movements or the crab will become frightened. Keep in mind that to a land hermit crab, any shadow passing overhead is a potential seagull looking for a meal of crab eyeballs! Once you realize the crabs very real natural fear, it helps you appreciate what you’re asking the crab to do – come out of its protective house in the daytime, when most predators are about.

Some crabs come out of their shells waving their big claw around, or they try to ‘dig’ into your hand with the big claw. Just keep the skin taut and eventually the crab will think, "What is this warm thing I’m sitting on that I can’t pinch?" and curiosity will prevail and the crab will come out. Another method people use for getting a crab to come ‘out’ is to blow on it. That is not always a good idea – I’ve heard stories of people who’ve blown on a crab, and before they knew it, the crab had popped out of its shell and pinched onto their lower lip. If all else fails, you can lightly mist the crab with dechlorinated water. Do not mist the crab until it’s dripping. That will only annoy the crab and leave you with a sloppy mess. Most crabs, if they need any misting at all, will respond to two or three quick spritzes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:22:33 PM EDT
Put some new shells in his cage. .223, .308, .50 BMG, and a 12 Gauge shotgun shell. He will move when he is good and ready.

Actually, just leave the little guy alone. He probably thinks you'reugly as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:24:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
tag

Tag, but only to find out about the chloroform.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:39:03 PM EDT
What's ugly about the old shell? You can paint it if you don't like the color. Seriously.

Digital camo would be appropriate for ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:40:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:41:18 PM EDT by Dragracer_Art]
We got the kids 4 hermit crabs last July when we were in Cape May, NJ.
Those little bastards are STILL alive.
We got a few extra shells with 'em, but only one of them relocated to a new shell.

If you want to see how BUTT-UGLY those bastards are, just fill a shallow pan with lukewarm tap water. Submerge the crab underwater for a little and let him get wet. He will all but crawl completly out of his shell. He won't let go, so don't try to get him the rest of the way out... It just ain't 'gonna happen. They actually like the water, and as I understand, it's also good to "bath" them in it once in awhile to keep their exoskeletons clean and healthy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:42:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:45:58 PM EDT
Tannerite.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:18:55 PM EDT
Threaten to put a Glock in it's habitat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 7:50:01 PM EDT by EagleArmsHBAR]

Originally Posted By STG77:
If you blow on the hermit crab, it will come out of its shell. When it does, grab it, then blow on it again. Eventually it will come out completely. I don't know if you've ever seen an unshelled hermit crab but they are wacky looking.

that did not work
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:53:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

that did not work

Put him in room temp or slightly warmer water. He WILL come out. Trust me.

They are the ugliest looking creatures... It's no damn wonder they never come out.

Looks like a cross between a centipede and a scorpion.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:55:08 PM EDT
So, would a pic of a naked hermit crab violate the CoC?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:02:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
Glue him (or her, gotta be PC) upside down in his shell to something heavy, i.e. - something that will sink in water. Drop him in a pan of water with the weight on bottom with sand or something in the side of the pan that goes above the water level so that he can crawl up on it.

That WILL work. (I have done it. )

See the thing is that even though the crab likes his shell, he likes air and continued life EVEN MORE THAN HIS SHELL!!!!!! Wow!!!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:18:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

that did not work

It always worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
i think i am just pissing him off. it seems that he would rater drown than come out of the shell (i tried the warm water thing)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:26:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:

Originally Posted By clay_man:
A dead hermit crab starts to stink like grannies panties pretty quickly in the summer. Hermit crabs are like teenagers.

In that when they're dead they smell like Gramma's panties?

How do you know what your grandmother's panties smell like anyway?

I could have gone my whole life without hearing that analogy. Thanks for nothing.
Top Top