Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've cried reading posts here about people putting their dogs down, and the thought of having to put my buddy down someday has my eyes tearing up right now.

I'm sure that I'll be inconsolable when the day actually comes.

The wife and I have had 9 cats and two dogs over the years. They used to be like our "kids", until we had five children. Then, naturally, the children took the limelight.

But they [the pets] were all hard to put-down. The last one this past fall was an 18 year old cat who'd been with us since the beginning of our relationship. We were both pretty broken up over that. It was surprizing how much that hurt. Our kids knew something was seriously wrong because we just couldn't hide our pain. It was like saying goodbye all-over again to all those pets we've lost over the years. Didn't matter whether they were feline or canine. They were ALL our loved-ones and any asshat who belittles someone's pain because of the species of their pet (like a couple of real winners in this thread) isn't worthy of the love a pet. Anyways... the longer you have your pet, the harder it will be when the time comes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Must you shit in this thread ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

because he doesn't like the fact that some members at least try to run over cats he is shitting in this thread?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No... that would be the POS' who belittled the loss of someone's beloved feline because it was "only a cat". Did you have anything to add to the thread? You're ONLY point had NOTHING to do with the issue at hand.
Who's the troll again?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

because he doesn't like the fact that some members at least try to run over cats he is shitting in this thread?

Thanks brandon. Some people in GD aren't good at reading comprehension. Or ANY kind of comprehension for that matter...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I lost a Scottish Terrier 9 years 4 months and 3 days ago.

I was inconsolable for 3 days.

I have another great pup now but's she's not Kassie the wonder-pup.

I'll miss her forever, hopefully I'll meet back up with her someday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Not yet.  But when my Shepherd goes, I'm thinking there will be much bawling to be done.  

Woody
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm known as a pretty tough guy  but my best little friend Moe the cutest Lhasa Apso in the world just turned 8 and I'm not feeling very good already.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Not yet, but  the day is coming, hopefully a few more years from now, I will then, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No... that would be the POS' who belittled the loss of someone's beloved feline because it was "only a cat". Did you have anything to add to the thread? You're ONLY point had NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. Who's the troll again?

Already did.  Talk about lack of reading comprehension, go back and look on pg 2  Your answer lies in the second post on this page.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
First dog I ever had and every other dog after that.
The first time I had to put a dog down it was my first. I got her when I was 10 and I had to say goodbye to her when I was 22. I got teary in the vets office and when I was driving home holding her collar and leash I lost it. I pulled over and cried like a child. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I lost a Scottish Terrier 9 years 4 months and 3 days ago.

I was inconsolable for 3 days.

I have another great pup now but's she's not Kassie the wonder-pup.

I'll miss her forever, hopefully I'll meet back up with her someday.

I have a Scottie.  They're great dogs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it was tough losing my best buddy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had to put my 15 year old mutt down this past January due to cancer. I had had her for 13 years ( a little less then 1/3 of my life). I don't know how I made it home from the vet's office.

I called my sergeant (who has known me and her the entire time) and took the week off of work. Worst week of my life....I'm tearing up just writing this. I'll miss her until the day I die.

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/olnacl/NelliePolice01copy.jpg

That's a great pic OLNACL.  She looks like a sweet heart.    13 of the best years of your life...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes,after my Rotty attacked me,had to put him down.

Latest incident happened when I came home from work one day and my soon to be ex cleaned out the house AND took my dog.It's been 4 months now,but I still well up when I drive by places I used to take my little buddy for runs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Like a baby.

Lost Zeekie "D" ( "D" for Dog ) 12/29/04 at 12:39 PM
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Like a fucking baby.  We lost our first dog before he even made it to 1 year old - a slow, painful, lingering death despite our vet's best efforts - and we still don't know what killed him, even after the autopsy that left him cut open and "violated" - I should have had him cremated after that, but we buried his remains and to this day feel like shit about it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I've cried for pets other than my own, two that I can think of right now...

1. Was going home one day and came around a curve, there on the road was a large GS mix that had just been hit and was clearly gone. The worst part was his friend, another GS mix was sitting right next to the road staring at him, with a look on his face like he didn't understand why his friend wouldn't get up.....that one broke me up for a while...

2. Was going home from work one day on the highway, middle of the day, when what looked like a black lab puppy came running across my lane, I slowed and let him go by, but I still had too much speed for a complete stop and it was pretty busy. He made it across the north bound lane, but in my rearview mirror I saw him end up under a red pontiac firebird.......that one really sucked......
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup.  Had to put my boxer (my first dog ever) down due to pancreatic cancer.  That dog was everything I had ever expected a dog to be.  Loyal beyond words.  I felt sick to my stomach the whole way to the vet's office.  I wouldn't leave the room, but held her as the lethal dose was administered.  I was upset enough to have the rest of the vet staff in tears with me as they watched.  That dog NEVER left me, I'll be damned if I was gonna leave her...

One of the more difficult things I've had to do in my life - and I still miss that dog every day
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes , especially since I was the one who always got
the job of bringing them to the vet and holding them
as they were put down
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
You damn straight I cried!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Yup and I cried at the end of Old YEller too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish I didn't start reading this thread. I still have 2 more dogs to go through in the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#26]
My dogs are loyal friends and companions
to me.

I had to put one of my bullmastiffs
to sleep last year after cancer made her
too weak to stand.  I carried her into the
vet's office in a blanket and held her as
they put her to sleep.  I sobbed.  I
would never be embarrased to admit it.

ETA: just the thought of it makes me sad
again.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Just reading this thread is enough to make me start tearing up...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah ... Might've had something to do with the fact that he died the day before my Mother who was in bed dying of cancer.

He looked over her and stayed with her the entire time she was sick.

We figured he was going ahead to wait for her and be sure the way was safe.

In one way, it's horrible to lose both of them, but in another way at least they have each other company.

God bless.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, cried like a little girl. Colt, a chocolate lab, was my best friend and hunting buddy. I had to put him to sleep November 13th of last year, he had kidney cancer. We originally took him to the vet because he had swollen testicals, the vet said it was prostitiduis, so he put him on antibiodicts, he look and acted better by Friday, so we went on a pheasent hunt, he favorite thing to do, it turned out to be his last. By Tuesday of that following week he had swelled up so bad he couldn't walk, so we took him to the vet the same day. The vet said he was swelled because his kidneys weren't holding fluid and it was seaping into his body. I had to put him down right then and there. Hardest goddamn thing I ever had to do. My wife commented to me weeks after he was gone that she had never seen me cry in the 17 years we have been together, his death truely destroyed me for a while. He was like my son. I'll always miss him.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeh.  He was an old dog with cataracts and arthritis.  The daughter and I dug a hole big enough to put a piano in with some tears toward the end.  It started to rain when we were filling it back in.  The daughter tends the marker and I still mow the site these past 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Bailey Beagle is 6, and I know at some point years from now it will happen. That is why I enjoy the time I spend with her while I can.  Best dog I ever had, and I will never get another after her since they could never measure-up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I cried when my dad died when I was 18.

I cried when I had to put my last 2 dogs down.

In between there, I've lost 3 grandparents, an aunt and a great uncle and not a tear fell then.  Not proud of it, but it really hits you when you are that close to anything for 15 years...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
From 1979 to 1981 I had part Lab/part German Shepard. My first (and technically only) dog. His name was "Snoopy." Don't laugh, I was a big fan of the "Peanuts/Charlie Brown" comic strips & paperback reprints back then.

He was a great dog. He had an internal clock and he would tell mom when it was time to pick me up from school (mom drove, needless to say)

He was one of those dogs that tried to talk, like you've probably seen on TV...except mine never formed actual words.

Dad left the gate open and he got run over two days before Christmas. Real great Christmas memory for a then-12 year old to have. Didn't talk to dad for about three years after that. Damn! Between this thread and the Eternal Vigilance one, this has been one sad night on AR15.com.

-Scott

Edit: Forgot to mention... I voted "yes."
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I answered yes to the poll. Bonus points to anyone who remembers this poem and who wrote it and what TV show he read it on.

Beau

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.

When he was young
He never learned to heel
Or sit or stay,
He did things his way.

Discipline was not his bag
But when you were with him things sure didn't drag.
He'd dig up a rosebush just to spite me,
And when I'd grab him, he'd turn and bite me.

He bit lots of folks from day to day,
The delivery boy was his favorite prey.
The gas man wouldn't read our meter,
He said we owned a real man-eater.

He set the house on fire
But the story's long to tell.
Suffice it to say that he survived
And the house survived as well.

On the evening walks, and Gloria took him,
He was always first out the door.
The Old One and I brought up the rear
Because our bones were sore.

He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on,
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir.

But every once in a while, he would stop in his tracks
And with a frown on his face look around.
It was just to make sure that the Old One was there
And would follow him where he was bound.

We are early-to-bedders at our house--
I guess I'm the first to retire.
And as I'd leave the room he'd look at me
And get up from his place by the fire.

He knew where the tennis balls were upstairs,
And I'd give him one for a while.
He would push it under the bed with his nose
And I'd fish it out with a smile.

And before very long
He'd tire of the ball
And be asleep in his corner
In no time at all.

And there were nights when I'd feel him
Climb upon our bed
And lie between us, And I'd pat his head.

And there were nights when I'd feel this stare
And I'd wake up and he'd be sitting there
And I reach out my hand and stroke his hair.
And sometimes I'd feel him sigh
and I think I know the reason why.

He would wake up at night
And he would have this fear
Of the dark, of life, of lots of things,
And he'd be glad to have me near.

And now he's dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.

And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair,
But he's not there.

Oh, how I wish that wasn't so,
I'll always love a dog named Beau.

Jimmy Stewart/Tonight Show?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Yes, when I was 8

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, for two cats and four dogs.
This thread was already getting to me then I read Jimmy Stewart's poem and I lost it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I answered yes to the poll. Bonus points to anyone who remembers this poem and who wrote it and what TV show he read it on.

Beau

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it,
But mostly he didn't come at all.

[snip]

That's a great poem.. and the first thing I thought of was James Stewart on the Tonight Show.  I know he wrote poems and read them on that show every time he was on, that I can remember.  [ETA: I see that Bullitt3401 beat me too it.  Dang it!!!  That's what I get for typing too much.  ]

But yeah, I've cried, and like some of you, I've gotten a bit choked up reading the stories here about the passing of your friends.  Dogs, cats, birds... it doesn't matter... they were our pets, companions and friends.  When they are gone, it's like losing a member of the family... maybe even more so at times.

I'm about to crash, and I haven't taken the time to look at all of the replies, but I've got a suggestion. I don't know if someone has already tossed this out or not, but for those of you who are looking for a new pet, you might want to try one of the animal rescue places.  Or if you are not looking for a new pet, then maybe make a donation or something.  I adopted a couple of dogs about a year and a half ago from such a place (Mandi and Tessi, German Shepherd/Border Collie mix) and I'm glad that I did.  They had a brother there, also, but I didn't get him.  I already had another dog (Bonnie, another Border Collie mix) and I didn't think I had the room.  Sometimes I wish I had made the room.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes and couldnt eat for 4 days , the best food tasted like cardboard ,was 3 years ago an this threads makin me tear up now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#39]
2 years ago

cried like a baby
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.  

Last month my little buddy died.  We had him for 13 years.  

One little buddy we had for 21 years.  

Every time I loose a good friend, it hurts.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Cried like a little girl with a skinned knee...
It was an english springer spaniel, had to put him to sleep because of hip dysplasia, and arthritis at the age of 13.
His name was Oreo,

One hell of a dog, still miss him.

that was 3 years ago, i now have another dog of the same breed, but this ones a female named Charlie. Honestlly enough she REALLY reminds of old Oreo, i accidentally call her that every once in a while.  

theres something to be said for mans best friend, He truely was.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#42]
STOP THE MADNESS!!  It is unarfcomely for us all to be sitting around all teary eyed and sniffling.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Sad yes.  Cry no.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I cry when all of my animals have passed away, but I wailed when my cat bengamin passed away in '89, he was 17 and I had had him since I was really small, he slept in the bed with me and I thought he was gonna live as long as I did, then wailed for a day when my dog thor passed away in '03.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
A Dog? Yep..right at the first of the year. 12 and a half old German Shepherd.

Cats? No not at all...glad they were gone. In fact I go outa my way to run over cats.

well I don't know what to say, you might not like cats but other people do, so I can't figure out any reason you'd intentionally make someone else feel as bad about their cat as you would about your dog.
How would you like it if lost your dog because someone went out of their way to run over it just because they didn't like dogs?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think so sparky...Unlike 99% of pet owners, I don't let my pets run or roam...

Cats have ZERO value.

zero value to you maybe, but then your dog might have zero value to someone else, and what if it got out, does someone have the right to run over it? You'll probably say that would just be the way it is, but I bet you wouldn't think that if your dog got out and you saw someone deliberately go out of their way to harm it. You'd be singing a different tune then.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:32:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Had my lab for 17 years..........Yup I balled like a baby
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#48]
When I was like 4 years old I cried because the neighbors male dog was "stuck" to our female dog, Angel.

No matter how hard I kicked him he wouldn't come off either. Weird!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Dog? Yep..right at the first of the year. 12 and a half old German Shepherd.

Cats? No not at all...glad they were gone. In fact I go outa my way to run over cats.

well I don't know what to say, you might not like cats but other people do, so I can't figure out any reason you'd intentionally make someone else feel as bad about their cat as you would about your dog.
How would you like it if lost your dog because someone went out of their way to run over it just because they didn't like dogs?

Oooo!  Oooo!  I know the answer to this one -

Because he's an (personal insult removed) !

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was 13 we had to put down our Black Lab puppy after he got hit by a truck.  We all sat around and sobbed like babies.

My dad just had to bury a cat we'd had for 16 years.  He wasn't ashamed to admit that he cried over a cat, and I cried when he told me he was dead.  I'll be heartbroken when the cat I have now goes, but hopefully that won't be for a long time.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top