Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
Do any lefties that shoot right-handed bolt action rifles operate the bolt with their right hand instead of reaching over with their left? I treid it today with a friend's Rem 700 and it seems that it would be something that I could get used to. I've been having a tough time locating my rifle of choice, a Rem 700 VS LH; i.e. left-handed (not VSF LH) in .308. I am considering just buying a right-handed 700P and make it work for me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:44:23 AM EDT
Dude, you are making this waaaay too difficult. If you are utilizing a bipod or are supporting the rifle in the vicinity of where a bipod would be, just use your off (right) hand.

Right-handed bolt-action rifles are easier for lefties to shoot than righties, as long as it's supported.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:03:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:54:52 AM EDT by der_Buschmeistermann]
Sorry but I'm anal and I lean to the obsessive complusive side! Thanks for your input, Wob-Gob!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:09:55 PM EDT
Or you could do what I do as a lefty shooter. Shoot falling blocks. No need for a bold and awesome accuaracy.

Rusty
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:26:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By der_Buschmeistermann:
Do any lefties that shoot right-handed bolt action rifles operate the bolt with their right hand instead of reaching over with their left? I treid it today with a friend's Rem 700 and it seems that it would be something that I could get used to. I've been having a tough time locating my rifle of choice, a Rem 700 VS LH; i.e. left-handed (not VSF LH) in .308. I am considering just buying a right-handed 700P and make it work for me.

My Dad is right-handed, but his left eye is dominant. This forces him to shoot in the way you mention. He works the action with his right hand.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:43:18 PM EDT
Just get a lefty gun, sooner/later youre gonna smash yo thumb when racking the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:44:03 PM EDT
You work the bolt with the right hand off a rest or bipod and with the left, reaching over, while standing.

Prone is a bitch.

Get an M1A instead? I don't really feel a need for a 7.62 boltgun, they're often too tightly headspaced to shoot surplus anyway.

Look into an accutrigger LH savage too, most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever had the pleasure of owning, mine's 30-06. Lots cheaper than a 700.
Top Top