Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 8:35:39 PM EDT
Hi guys, I just bought an Xbox 360 (core, unfortunately. All they had. I'll buy the HD later.).

My question is, that sometimes my buddies and I get together and have an Xbox Lan Party. Is it possible to hook up a LAN with an Xbox and Xbox 360? My gut reaction is "no," but I'm wondering anyways.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm good question, I wonder that too, since XBox360 can play some XBox games.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes!  The two are quite compatible.

We play Halo 2 on my XBOX-1 and the 360 and have yet to have any problems (besides the XBOX-1 not loading maps... damn microsoft).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Btw, for XBox360, the most addicting game of all time is Tiger Woods PGA 06.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Too bad they assraped the putting mechanism.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

...If you say so.

I'd much rather play CoD 2, to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Xbox and the 360 are compatible both over a lan or over XB live.  you can be on a 360 and play against people on an XB and never know the difference
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Im posting here to say, Hey, goon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Xbox and the 360 are compatible both over a lan or over XB live.  you can be on a 360 and play against people on an XB and never know the difference

Quoted:

We play Halo 2 on my XBOX-1 and the 360 and have yet to have any problems (besides the XBOX-1 not loading maps... damn microsoft).

Excellent news.

BTW, stupid question but a valid one nonetheless - how do you get 4 controllers into the 2 USB controller slots? Lemme guess... I have to buy a USB splicer/multiport, right?

Quoted:
Im posting here to say, Hey, goon.

YOU!

Hi, Ich, how's it going?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent news.

BTW, stupid question but a valid one nonetheless - how do you get 4 controllers into the 2 USB controller slots? Lemme guess... I have to buy a USB splicer/multiport, right?

either that, or buy the wireless ones.  AFIK, the core system still works with the wireless controlers
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

either that, or buy the wireless ones.  AFIK, the core system still works with the wireless controlers

Yeah, the core system still works with wireless. The core system is only the Premium without the extra stuff (like a HD, wireless controller, headset, ect), but how can 4 wireless controllers work with 2 USB slots?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the core system still works with wireless. The core system is only the Premium without the extra stuff (like a HD, wireless controller, headset, ect), but how can 4 wireless controllers work with 2 USB slots?

I'm not sure how the core system works but on my premium, the wireless controller system has nothing to do with the USB ports.  That's why you can have 4 players, and plug in your iPod to listen to music while you play, and plug in something else if you want.

Also, make sure you buy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.  The single player mode isn't all that realistic, but the multiplayer mode is better and has a gun selection that would make ARFCOM proud (FN SCAR-L, FN SCAR-H, and suppressed FN SCAR-L sweetness, and even a supressed M4 in 6.8)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not sure how the core system works but on my premium, the wireless controller system has nothing to do with the USB ports.  That's why you can have 4 players, and plug in your iPod to listen to music while you play, and plug in something else if you want.

*smacks head in bout of stupidity*

Ahhh! The wireless controllers uses the Xbox 360s IR receiver and the wired ones use USB ports.

Also, make sure you buy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.  The single player mode isn't all that realistic, but the multiplayer mode is better and has a gun selection that would make ARFCOM proud (FN SCAR-L, FN SCAR-H, and suppressed FN SCAR-L sweetness, and even a supressed M4 in 6.8)

Although I'm sure GRAW is great (I own all Ghost Recons before it), they have that same selection in Summit Strike. The FN SCAR-H with GL is especially awesome.

However, the Barrett sounds interesting, however. Someone told me you can actually shoot through some walls and obstacles with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#13]
DO NOT PLAY GAMES IN THE 360 WHEN IT IS VERTICAL

Lay it  flat, or you will score the disc to the point of useless.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
People on xbox won't be able to play any xbox360 games. you will only be able to play xbox games against them. You also can't use any of the 360's functions when using a backwards compatible game - like chat, or your menu screen to see who's online.

You won't be able to play all xbox games on your 360. Some are just not compatible.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You won't be able to play all xbox games on your 360. Some are just not compatible.

One game that doesn't work is Soul Caliber 2, which is a big disappointment.

I've also had problems running Halo 1 on the 360.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One game that doesn't work is Soul Caliber 2, which is a big disappointment.

I've also had problems running Halo 1 on the 360.  

WHAT?!

You've got to be kidding me! I know many of the older Xbox games don't work, but SCII?!

Dammit! No Kilik ownage on Xbox 360!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

WHAT?!

You've got to be kidding me! I know many of the older Xbox games don't work, but SCII?!

Dammit! No Kilik ownage on Xbox 360!

Kilik?  You got to be kidding me?

When you have a goddess like Sophitia to play with and look at.... pure 0wnag3.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
You can have Sophitia, I'll take Seung Mi-na.  That was one of the first Xbox games I tried to fire up on the 360...I was very disappointed, to say the least.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Kilik?  You got to be kidding me?

When you have a goddess like Sophitia to play with and look at.... pure 0wnag3.

Pfft. Kilik will pwn Sophitia before she even comes into attack range.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Old rumor from the PS2 days...  Besides thats why you make back ups :)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old rumor from the PS2 days...  Besides thats why you make back ups :)

Actually what shouldn't be done is moving the system from horizontal to vertical, or vice versa, while a game is being played.  Either position is safe, just don't move it while you're playing.  A lot of people have scratched discs from doing that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

except if you are playing regular xbox games the XBOX players have less latency than you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...If you say so.

I'd much rather play CoD 2, to be honest.

Tiger Woods 2K6 got horrid reviews. Consensus was it looks GREAT but the lack of courses and other game modes makes TW like a 2 out of 5.   CoD2 is by far and away the best game right now for the 360.  Yes you can link Xbox and the 360 together .  A few months back we did a LAN Halo1 party at my buddies house.  One weird thing did happen.  Seems that Halo1 is so slow that on occasion the 360 had to slow itself down and caused a funky warp thing to happen.  It was kind of like the warp you get when playing Co Op.  The 360 kicks ASS but it is VERY lacking in decent games right now.  Get the HD ASAP.  With the HD and you Live account you can DL demos of games you may want to buy plus trailers of games that are coming out in the near future.  Im going INSANE waiting for Capcoms Dead Rising.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I have actually been present in the room when a horizontal 360 scratched a D skin on my friends disk.

His first console scratched his disks and it had to go back. His second console did the same thing, but the D skin saved the disk.

My 360 has given me no problems and hasnt scratched anything.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Im going INSANE waiting for Capcoms Dead Rising.  

There. Is. A. Demo. Of. Dead. Rising....?

OMFG...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top