Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Why can't people just use the recycling bins for what they're intended for: recyclable materials.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Around here, iirc, there's a surcharge on your water bill for recycling, since they figure you're rinsing out the can and bottles.  I can't swear that this is fact, but it's something that's sticking in my head.  Either way, I have a bunch of stuff in the garage piled on top of my recycle bin.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think that you've got the Smug.

Well.... I do drive an F-150 4X4...

Quoted:
off to the re-education camp uhm recycling school for you

Truth is, I don't mind recycling, but when something is legislated by the city, I get a bit pissy about it. Especially since sorting garbage seems easier to at the dump/processing plant ranther than by the end user.

The reason, of course, is that the end user can be forced to do it for free under penalty of fine...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FREE MARKET

Recycling should happen when it becomes economically advantageous to do so.

Quoted:
When they pay me to recycle, I'll recycle.

You're my hero.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
We just put all our trash in grocery bags and throw it out the window on the highway; cuts down on the headaches.

Exactly, when they make it so difficult, or so expensive, this is exactly what people will do.

There was a news story about an elementary school kid who followed the garbage... they were making them separate food from paper from plastic in the school cafeteria.  Turns out it was all dumped in one truck, all together.  So why recycle?

And a lot of places are on the "recycle" bandwagon, but don't actually do it.  They have found they don't have the market for a lot of the trash.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If recycling actually made sense, either in terms of saved resources or saved landill space, then private companies would pay you to do it.

The fact that they don't means you are wasting time and effort, while your taxes are increased because the city loses money on recycling, just to make idiotic hippes happy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Monies earned? HA! NY has lost money every single year since we started recycling. The only monies they are earning recycling is from your tax dollars paying for something that costs more money and energy than it saves.

Since you expressed your reservations about the program, I'll try to get some figured for you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#9]

I distinctly remember reading that Michigan's Bottle Deposit program ($0.10/per) routinely operates with an annual LOSS of $6 Million Dollars, mostly from fraud.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a matter of principal. If recycling was such a lucrative business, the local municipalities would be begging for my trash so they could make some extra cash. Since it is not worth it to the municipalities to handle recycling themselves, then it is not worth it to me.

What do you mean "handle it themselves"? The recycling here IS overseen by the county; we have curbside pickup  and monies earned from recycling goes to the general fund.

What money earned from recycling?  In my city the recycling is highly "successful" in that a huge amount of garbage is diverted into recycling.   Guess what.  There is a $10 or so surcharge to pay for it all.  The more sucessful the program is, the higher is the surcharge.

If recyling was really saving natural resources, there would be a recycling discount on my bill, not a surcharge.

If recycling actually made economic sense, you wouldn't need laws mandating it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top