User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Another 635'er here

As far as the SNOB goes....we had a belt buckle with 'SNOB' engraved on it that was passed down from sailor to sailor. I only had it a couple weeks myself.

Nobody ever complained about it. BUT....best watch out if you were ever caught with a P.A.P.E.R.C.L.I.P. on your uniform

Our SNOB buckle (wore it for three months) was custom made and had the name of each previous SNOB engraved on it. (I was number 53)

I remember the paperclip thing.  Hell, we were doing that in A school.  When we couldn't do that anymore, someone came up with a staple thing, but I don't remember what it stood for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i was on the 635(as i call it, "my last boat"...pisses the old timers off)

i have like 1100 something days left unfortunatley.

Silly little NUB.

Fun things to do while underway:

Take watch section group pic in the horseshoe while on watch (no reliefs).

Call control and "Request to secure the Flux Capacitor for maintenance."

Growl ERF repeatedly without answering until he snaps.

Shift the Electric plant from MSW bay (This was a prac fac on our Shit-Bag qualcard).

When standing ERUL, dump the evaporator to the bilge for hours so the NUB in ERLL can get drain pump practice.

Climb on top of the gears and hit the indicator button for PLO-125.

In port, page non-existant personell on the 2MC.

I'd list more, but you guys are intelligent, think of your own.

im qualified ships and ERS thank you NERD
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I was the SNOB for all of 5 days or so.  AND the boat was out on westpac, so I could not bask in the glory.

BTW, what was your nom de guerre in the "bitch book, or as we called it, the Atta-boy log?  I started out as AFTR, for Along for the ride after a pink floyd song.  I changed it to pogo in 1987 or so.

I wonder if our resident O-ganger has ever had a peek in those books?  Mr Tyao the EEOW found it and started volumnous notes from it one day, and we looked on in horror while visions of court martials danced in our heads for slander against our appointed officers....  Turns out he was writing a command counciling chit against one of our hated khakis.

The Captain certainly knew about the ABL, and he had all engineering hands look high and low for the book one day.  Amazing, noone could find it.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2006/Feb/28/FPI602280353AR_b.jpg

Key West left Sembawang, Singapore the same day as Rodney M Davis (FFG 60).  She beat us back to Yokosuka, Japan by several days.  I guess being submerged during a typhoon has its advantages.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't forget that a British diesel sub just defeated an American surface fleet by scoring a kill on one of our super carriers and making a clean getaway last year during wargames.  

That's one hell of a feat for a sub that doesn't exist. You do realize the Brits got rid of their diesel boats many years ago right?

He might mean the Aussies.  Their subs and crews are top notch.

The Aussie Navy has my admiration.  Had a few of them onboard the Blue Ridge during exercise Tandem Thrust 1995 (think thats the right year).   Ball busting guys, they were great!

Good ol' Building 19.  I slept onboard one night while attending a class at CFAY while my ship was conducting an ammo onload at anchor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was the SNOB for all of 5 days or so.  AND the boat was out on westpac, so I could not bask in the glory.

BTW, what was your nom de guerre in the "bitch book, or as we called it, the Atta-boy log?  I started out as AFTR, for Along for the ride after a pink floyd song.  I changed it to pogo in 1987 or so.

I wonder if our resident O-ganger has ever had a peek in those books?  Mr Tyao the EEOW found it and started volumnous notes from it one day, and we looked on in horror while visions of court martials danced in our heads for slander against our appointed officers....  Turns out he was writing a command counciling chit against one of our hated khakis.

The Captain certainly knew about the ABL, and he had all engineering hands look high and low for the book one day.  Amazing, noone could find it.  

We called it "The FROG (Famed Rogue Operators' Gash) Log.  Many amusing stories, quotes taken out of (or in) context, bitches about the command, or life in general.  We also stapled things into it like a sort of scrap book.  We had the email about exam cover sheets (life imitating art ala Office Space), pieces of the diesel, a chunk of wood from the boat that broke our periscope, etc...

I didn't have a nickname that I was able to pick.  I really never had one that stuck anyway...

We also kept a dictionary in Maneuvering.  We called it the "Word Tech Manual".  We basically found obscure words that were very descriptive and added our own definitions based on people and places on the boat.

The standing rules for the FROG Log were that NUBS and Khakis were NEVER allowed to read it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i was on the 635(as i call it, "my last boat"...pisses the old timers off)

i have like 1100 something days left unfortunatley.

Silly little NUB.

Fun things to do while underway:

Take watch section group pic in the horseshoe while on watch (no reliefs).

Call control and "Request to secure the Flux Capacitor for maintenance."

Growl ERF repeatedly without answering until he snaps.

Shift the Electric plant from MSW bay (This was a prac fac on our Shit-Bag qualcard).

When standing ERUL, dump the evaporator to the bilge for hours so the NUB in ERLL can get drain pump practice.

Climb on top of the gears and hit the indicator button for PLO-125.

In port, page non-existant personell on the 2MC.

I'd list more, but you guys are intelligent, think of your own.

lets see here...

disassembly of diggit tools (we are talking dozens of pieces), and subsequent burying into the bottom of the closest can of termaline

'danger nuts"! -use 125# ships service air to spin a 1" nut on a screwdriver so fast it starts screaming louder than the main engines and letting it fall to the floor and shrapnel around the ER.

heres a good one for ERLL.....play with the drain pump (varying speed) while pumping aft bilge overboard while at periscope depth.....the COW will shit himself trying to compensate and you guys will recieve extra 'frequent flyer' miles

make the AEA change out lightbulbs in MSW bay were you just finished painting all the piping.

wait until someone decides its a good idea to clean under the main condensors and replace all the deck plates

blue-check on all the 2JV handsets

boy...i could go on forever
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

im qualified ships and ERS thank you NERD

Sorry, my mistake.  Hey, You can't talk to me like that, I outrank you.  Yup, Civilian, first class.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We called it "The FROG (Famed Rogue Operators' Gash) Log.  Many amusing stories, quotes taken out of (or in) context, bitches about the command, or life in general.  We also stapled things into it like a sort of scrap book.  We had the email about exam cover sheets (life imitating art ala Office Space), pieces of the diesel, a chunk of wood from the boat that broke our periscope, etc...

I didn't have a nickname that I was able to pick.  I really never had one that stuck anyway...

We also kept a dictionary in Maneuvering.  We called it the "Word Tech Manual".  We basically found obscure words that were very descriptive and added our own definitions based on people and places on the boat.

The standing rules for the FROG Log were that NUBS and Khakis were NEVER allowed to read it.

Its amazing how similar the boats are..the sub community is really close.

our 'frog' was called the 'boh' or Book of Hate. Everyone made up a name and it was full of bitches/gripes/moans. On lonely mid-watches on station, maneuvering would call and request it circulated around the ER.

oh yeah...and good field day spots...

-outboard MSW pumps.
-under the M/E was always a good place for a nap. Hell, we even had a makeshift bed under there.
-wine cellar
-above nucleonics
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top