User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 3:44:18 PM EDT
10% off at CC

$100 rebate

$630 total with 18-50 lens.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
tag

I'm still old-school Canon, but need to swithc to hires digital at some point.  How many mp is the Rebel XT?

... and does Ikelite make a housing for it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
tag

I'm still old-school Canon, but need to swithc to hires digital.  How many mp is the Rebel XT?

or 87
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay.  i would like to get one..

What is CC?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  No money!

I'm getting into photography, but don't have a DSLR yet... though I can see dropping coin for one in the next year or two.   Good thing is, my current digicam does a great job (5Mpix, 10x optical zoom) on it's own.    
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
tag

I'm still old-school Canon, but need to swithc to hires digital at some point.  How many mp is the Rebel XT?

8.1 mp.

Takes pretty nice pics.

Easy to use as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
oh goddamn it... Four months too late...

ETA: Canon rebates take about two months to arrive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CC?

circuit city

10% off coupon

www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=118488&sourceid=qIZwRDG0cjeYAlrDJWwa&affiliateid=39502629&carriage=befree&WT.mc_n=213057

I tried to checkout and it says:
We're sorry; the coupon code entered is invalid. Status = <3>.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bought a 20D from Canon.
Incredible pictures, easy to shoot.

pato
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CC?

circuit city

10% off coupon

www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=118488&sourceid=qIZwRDG0cjeYAlrDJWwa&affiliateid=39502629&carriage=befree&WT.mc_n=213057

You might need to call and place the order with an operator.  It should work.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CC?

circuit city

10% off coupon

I see I have to go through techbargans
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CC?

circuit city

10% off coupon

yup thats the ticket.

Also Amazon.com has it for $680 shipped.  No taxes either with Amazon so it might be better for you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
tag

for $1234.00 you can have the Ikelite housing...200'
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CC?

circuit city

10% off coupon

yup thats the ticket.

Also Amazon.com has it for $680 shipped.  No taxes either with Amazon so it might be better for you.

I see amazon with it for $740 shipped????
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Screw it.  I will wait.  It will only get cheaper as time goes by.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The Rebel XT is a GREAT camera.  My primary cameras are 20Ds, but I just bought a Rebel XT to keep in the bag as a backup.  I'd say it's probably 95%+ of what the 20D is.  Image quality is almost identical.  The main things you lose with the XT is ISO3200, and the nifty control wheel that the 20D has.

I actually bought mine used paid $950 for a package that included a few lenses, a battery grip, and a little flash.  Sold all that for about $640, net cost for the camera and kit lens = $310.  :-)

--Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I get $669 shipped. I have Amazonprime and I get free shipping.  Its $799 with $100 rebate right now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag

for $1234.00 you can have the Ikelite housing...200'

Hmmmm - so about 2K for a new camera and good UW capability.

But then I guess I'll need a new ikelite-compatible strobe as well.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Using that logic, you'll NEVER buy a camera (or just about anything technology-related).  If you need it, buy it.  If you kinda need it, wait 'till it goes on sale like now.

--Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using that logic, you'll NEVER buy a camera (or just about anything technology-related).  If you need it, buy it.  If you kinda need it, wait 'till it goes on sale like now.

--Mike

I don't kinda need it right now.  I will wait for the next sale.  I also just made a major purchase and need to hold off a couple months.  Damn Glock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Rebel XT?  Oh, you mean that LITTLE camera...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

Not necessarily - I agree with his logic.  

If I decide that 12 mp (for example) is the point where I will switch from film for digital, then it makes sense for me to wait until something like the Canon Rebel XT drops another couple of hundred bucks in price.

Let everyone else be the high-tech early adopters that have to have the latest gadget.  I will switch when the digital resolution equals 100 ISO Ilford film, but not until then.  If that is 12 mp (or whatever), that's all I need.  And since I am in no hurry, I can wait until it reaches the price point I am willing to pay.

Until then, I'll continue to use my film camera for fancy pictures, and my 5 mp pixel digital for snap shots, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

If I decide that 12 mp (for example) is the point where I will switch from film for digital, then it makes sense for me to wait until something like the Canon Rebel XT drops another couple of hundred bucks in price.

It won't, not new retail.  That's not how the market works.  Canon will introduce the XT's replacement and discontinue the XT, before they discount it another $200.  In a year or two, you might find XT's used for $400, but the XT's shutter is rated for around 50,000 actuations or less, so by the time you get it at that price you'd likely have to send it off to the factory at your own expense for a shutter replacement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe the Mp equivalent for a good 35 mm film is about 25Mp.  That said, the sharpening facility in most photo processing software will take care of a lot, as will the mechanics of printing.  Therefore, 12 Mp should do the trick as far as your comparison, which sounds about like my mental guesstimate, as well.  However, I (as my alter-ego, known far and wide as "El Cheapo")  am wondering if 8 Mp is "close enough."
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I believe the Mp equivalent for a good 35 mm film is about 25Mp.  

That has been stated, but never actually proven, unless I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe the Mp equivalent for a good 35 mm film is about 25Mp.  

That has been stated, but never actually proven, unless I am mistaken.

Rik is there any way to see how much use a shutter has seen?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Rik is there any way to see how much use a shutter has seen?

On 1 series Canon cameras there is, but on the others you have to just check the picture numbering and that might have been reset or have been contaminated by a non-formatted card, so there's no way to know on a non-1 series Canon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

It won't, not new retail.  That's not how the market works.  Canon will introduce the XT's replacement and discontinue the XT, before they discount it another $200.  In a year or two, you might find XT's used for $400, but the XT's shutter is rated for around 50,000 actuations or less, so by the time you get it at that price you'd likely have to send it off to the factory at your own expense for a shutter replacement.

Dang it - they found a way to stick it to me anyway!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top