Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:03:49 PM EDT
Do you have your suit trousers cuffed or no?

Poll to follow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you have your suit trousers cuffed or no?

Poll to follow.

Cuffed is the only stylish way to go. Uncuffed is plain and boring.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to think 'Men's Wearhouse' suits were fine, until I worked with Wall St. types for most of the '90s.

To this day, I can spot a good suit vs. a department store suit a block away.

I think is was the movie 'Wall Street' when Michael Douglas takes Charlie Sheen to a fine restaraunt and tells him to go see his tailor for some 'good' suits...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the type of suit and material being used.
You would need really nice shoes too if your going that route cause you're attracting a lot more attention to the feet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Cuffed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to think 'Men's Wearhouse' suits were fine, until I worked with Wall St. types for most of the '90s.

I had a similar experience. I worked for Chase Manhattan down by Wall Street for a year or so after I got out of the service, before I got my current job. Those guys wear good suits, and being in that environment gives you a real ability to spot a cheap suit, or a good one for that matter.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a similar experience. I worked for Chase Manhattan down by Wall Street for a year or so after I got out of the service, before I got my current job. Those guys wear good suits, and being in that environment gives you a real ability to spot a cheap suit, or a good one for that matter.

Back then, a 'good' tie 'Hermes' was $250-$500 dollars
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
<grin> no Hermes tie but I do have one Charvet.  

Cuffed.  Proper way to break the line.

Hey, it's a suit...it's not gore tex, jeans, a t-shirt - you wear it because it means something.

Also, some wimmens like it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Traditional and conserative - cuffs
Out for night on town - no pleats, no cuffs
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have an athletic build like I do - no pleats, no cuffs.  It makes me look like I have parachute pants on if I don't.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Cuffed.

I've learned the difference in dress clothes since I've started working with folks who have MONEY.  Not money, MONEY.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Traditional and conserative - cuffs
Out for night on town - no pleats, no cuffs

Interesting I have always thought it was the other way around.

But there are plenty of personal choices.
I never have more than two button on a single breasted suit.

Single brested is less formal and shouldn't be buttoned.
Double Breasted is more format and should never be worn unbuttoned.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both and it depends on the occasion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
What's a suit?

And what are trousers?

Are they anything like jeans?  No cuffs on jeans.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think is was the movie 'Wall Street' when Michael Douglas takes Charlie Sheen to a fine restaraunt and tells him to go see his tailor for some 'good' suits...

Yes, its "Wall Street".

One day Bud Fox (Sheen) is talking to his dad in the bar.  "Gotta have nice suits, 400 bucks a pop."  Just a few scenes later, Sheen sits down next to Gekko and Gekko says "and you cant come in here looking like that.  Go to Morty Sills, tell him I sent ya" or something like that.  Next scene shows Sheen walking into work in a double breasted suit, the secretary comments him about it and he says something like "if I looked any better it'd be a sin" or a crime, or something.  Foreshadowing...!  

Just like what constitutes 'rich', its all relative...

I've seen that more than most Arfcommers have seen Dawn of the Dead and Red Dawn put together.  I'll probably watch it tonight....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
It would depend on if you were wearing a polo shirt (or a short sleeve dress shirt) with your suit...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
No.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely. To do otherwise just looks childish.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#19]
No pleats, no cuffs.

Pleats, cuffs.

Period.
No exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus Christ and General Jackson, no.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
What I really want to know is do folks here who wear suits make more money than those dressed in khakis, get hotter chicks, and are treated better by their employers???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank goodness I'm not a participant in the rat race.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh, and even though I'm short, I generally prefer a cuff on my suit trousers (1.5" though).

Not on seersucker.  Not on my morning suit or dinner suit though.  Yes to all others.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
CUFFS. There is a lot more going on with suits that you may ordinarily think. Over the years a good number of Army Colonels asked me what I would recommend they were for job interviews when getting out of the military. The first thing I would tell them is read John Malloy's book Dress for Success. Next I would say know your interviewer and company. A pink button down dress shirt looks real good in Boston but in NY or DC you would get run out of town. In the Pentagon blue button down is the way to go unless you are SECDEF then white is it but you will change it every day.  Buying a suit at Brooks brothers, Nordstrom, and Lord & Taylor is most often a good choice but make sure it is tailored for you. A good suit not fitting well looks bad. The Wall Street boys are an experience out of the main stream. They make so much money they have a pissing contest to show each other up. If you work there you will be buying that line of clothes. Good, bad, or indifferent that is the culture.  Lastly, president Lincoln was shot and buried in a Brookes Brothers suit and Pink shirts get you laid according to Dress for Success. Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I had always heard the general rule is
pleated pants...cuffs
flat front pants...no cuffs
flat top ebr...just stuff your pants in your boots
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh, and even though I'm short, I generally prefer a cuff on my suit trousers (1.5" though).

Not on seersucker.  Not on my morning suit or dinner suit though.  Yes to all others.

BINGO.

Never, EVER on formal wear.

Hint:    Do dress uniforms have cuffs?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Suit trousers should have a cuff.  First, to weight the bottom of the trouser and assist with the drape of the fabric as it transitions to the show.  Second, as a transition point from the leg to the shoe.  The size of the cuff generally depends on fashion and your body type.

Unpleated pants (casual) do not take a cuff.

Formal dress (black tie) no cuff.

ARSTAF's recommendation for Malloy's Dress for Success is good.  I was given Flusser's Style and the Man.

In general, dress one level above yourself.  Centerline (gig-line) is always a good rule.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Either or, depends on the suit
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm full time VO. So, It's shorts or jeans... Come to think of it, clothing is optional.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#30]
If you already have short legs you should re-think cuffs b/c they break up the line of the leg and make them look shorter.

I don't wear cuffs cuz:

1.  I will, always and without fail, rip one with the heel of my other size 11 1/2 shoe,

2.  I have realy long legs (34-35'' inseam) for a 5' 11'' frame, so there's not enough material left to make cuffs anyway.  (don't tell me to get a long 'cuz the jacket would drop to my knees and the rise on the pants would come to my nipples)

3.  I think cuffs are a little passe' and reek of 1986 preppy knucklehead.

I wear a suit every day to work and my suits retail between $1500.00 and $600.00 so fabric drape is not an issue.  But, only idiots pay retail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Last time I wore a suit was at my bro's wedding in 1994.

Haven't owned one since.

One of the benefits of living on the West Coast is no one is hung up on suits (except professionals and salesmen).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm all for a reasonable compromise.  One has a cuf, the other doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]
2. I have realy long legs (34-35'' inseam) for a 5' 11'' frame, so there's not enough material left to make cuffs anyway. (don't tell me to get a long 'cuz the jacket would drop to my knees and the rise on the pants would come to my nipples)

Hey that gives you the pachuco in clothes look to go with the pachuco driver look you must have.  But it probably sucks if you aren't a pachuco.

The good thing about men's suits is if you get a classic traditional design with or without cuffs, it will stay "in" unlike women's fashions which change monthly.  You get what you pay for when you move up a little from the cheap right off the rack at Sears with smart shopping you can get a real nice suit that will be wearable for years for most occasions.  That's what I was told by the salesman but many of mine have had significant shrinkage around the waist.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yep, I can always spot the tailored suits and the cheap off the rack ones at our board meeting.... Of course, I wear a t-shirt and jeans, so I'm not complaining........

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
And here I thought you'd were asking about cuffs..... freakin handcuffs.

Yes.

and I don't get gussied up enough for dress pants.

-P
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Fortunately for me as an electronic engineer in PRC Arizona I can wear Wrangler jeans and polo shirts to work as my every day dress.

But - if I had to wear dress pants it would be without the rain catchers....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top