Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 10:57:40 AM EDT
I was kicking around the idea of getting another 9MM pistol. I already have a SIG P220 .45 and a Browning Hi Power 9MM. What do you guys think of the Walther P99? Is it worth looking into? I was also thinking of a CZ75 or a SIG P226. Any input you guys can give is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was also thinking of a CZ75 or a SIG P226.

Either of which is a good option.  The CZ-75 is a great pistol at a great price!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It is an awesome little pistol. I liked mine a lot. My only problem was the rear tang kinda bit into the web of my hand a little after a long shooting session, but they have since reshaped that area of the pistol on the newer models.

Currently I carry a USPc 9mm. I sold the Walther to help fund a USP .45 Tactical.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Love mine, it is my cary peice  100%
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How's the trigger pull? It's not like a Glock is it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was kicking around the idea of getting another 9MM pistol. I already have a SIG P220 .45 and a Browning Hi Power 9MM. What do you guys think of the Walther P99? Is it worth looking into? I was also thinking of a CZ75 or a SIG P226. Any input you guys can give is appreciated. Thanks!

I am quite fond of my little P99.

In fact, I believe it is going to Blackwater with me as my primary on my next trip....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No.

MUCH better than a Glock's trigger. It is actually a very nice trigger in SA mode...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Walther forum

Sig forum

CZ forum

Uh, that's why I'm here. I have already been there, and wanted to hear from some other people.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

MUCH better than a Glock's trigger. It is actually a very nice trigger in SA mode...

Just the fact that you choose the P99 as your primary speaks volumes if you're with Blackwater. Is yours German made or S&W?
ETA: I'm an idiot...I thought your were with Blackwater. Sorry. And I see the gun is S&W. Being a dumbass can be a burden sometimes!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I LOVE it. It's the greatest 9mm handgun I've ever fired, it's accurate as all get out, and it fits perfect. Get one and you will NOT regret it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is an awesome little pistol. I liked mine a lot. My only problem was the rear tang kinda bit into the web of my hand a little after a long shooting session, but they have since reshaped that area of the pistol on the newer models.

Currently I carry a USPc 9mm. I sold the Walther to help fund a USP .45 Tactical.

That happened to me too, but the way I grip pistols, it rubbed on my thumb knuckle.  After 100 rounds the skin would be broken and bleeding.  I wore a shooting glove and never again had a problem.

I liked mine, but I sold it too.  I don't know why they were never very popular, mine shot very well, and it got me through the FL hurricane season back in 2004.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Just the fact that you choose the P99 as your primary speaks volumes if you're with Blackwater. Is yours German made or S&W?
ETA: I'm an idiot...I thought your were with Blackwater. Sorry. And I see the gun is S&W. Being a dumbass can be a burden sometimes!

It's not made by S&W; it's IMPORTED by S&W

ETA: I have 2. they are my favorite gun and also my carry gun
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
i have the SW 99 compact in a fotayyyyy and i have a whole lot of pistols and revolvers of all makes and models and its what i carry...18 hours a day..

it feels like part of my hand.

i tell my friends..a glock wishes it was a 99C..

get one...you'll love it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Had one, sold it. Wasn't crazy about the trigger.

Get the SIG P226.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get the gun in either true DA, or Walther's QA(quick action) trigger that has feel of similar to that of a Glock(you have to rack the slide a tad to recock the striker).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I had an early version and sold it because I didn't like the trigger.  I now have a P99 compact, German made, and I love it.  100% reliable, great ergos, accurate, and great trigger in SA.  You can carry cocked and locked with this one.  I carry it every day in hot weather, a Hi-Power in cold weather.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a P99 .40, great gun.  Have used it in numerous high round count classes.

Also have a CZ75B but don't like it, trigger pull or something.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one in 9mm and .40 (OD frame).  Endorse either 100%.  The DA trigger pull is pretty long (but not bad at all), but IMHO the SA pull is one of the best around.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, I am certainly not "with" Blackwater.

I have, however, done plenty of training there. And I am going to do probably 80 hours more in May.

My P99 has S&W stamped on the slide because S&W imported the pistol, but the gun was made entirely in Germany.

It is a very accurate pistol, very easy to shoot, good sights, and good ergonomics. I love it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Had one, sold it. Wasn't crazy about the trigger.

Get the SIG P226.

The DA trigger on the P99 is pretty good, but not as good as the DA trigger shipping on Sigs in the last few years.

Whether someone buys a P99 or a P226, they really can't go wrong. They are both great handguns.

The answer, of course, is to pick the one that you shoot the most naturally.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i had an early one in 40sw. excellent gun, well made except for the slide finish. mine was german made and the slide rusted and pitted if you didn't keep it sloppy wet with oil. shot "ok" for me  btu not great. always went bang with any ammo you fed it.

i take one over a glock, but prefer the XD to both.

FWIW, Walther has used the tennifer finish for a long time now, meaning that rusting problems are pretty much a thing of the past.

Long term, I think the P99 has the edge in durability.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I have owned and carried a P99 in .40S&W for about four years.  VERY good pistol.  Get one...you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I love mine.  It was my first pistol (which was a mistake, .40S&W gave me a flinch I had to try real hard to break years back), but I still love it.  It always comes to the range with me, it's one of 2 guns I always bring.

If you get a .40S&W, you can shoot .357Sig with just a barrel change or shoot 9mm with a barrel and 9mm magazines.  If you get a 9mm, you can only ever shoot 9mm.  Still, if I could go back I'd get one in 9mm instead of .40S&W.

But I do like the look of the .40S&W slides over the 9mm slides.  And the new models, to me, look like toys.  Get an older one, pre-2004.  You usedtocould get brand new (old model) black 9mm P99s for $350-$400 from CDNN, though I believe they only come with one 10-round magazine.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I love mine.

The trigger is the thing that will throw people.

I'm good with the pull.  No problem.

Get the S&W version.  No difference.

Well, other than you can put an M3 on a S&W.

The Walther light is VERY expensive and, proprietarial.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love mine.  It was my first pistol (which was a mistake, .40S&W gave me a flinch I had to try real hard to break years back), but I still love it.  It always comes to the range with me, it's one of 2 guns I always bring.

If you get a .40S&W, you can shoot .357Sig with just a barrel change or shoot 9mm with a barrel and 9mm magazines.  If you get a 9mm, you can only ever shoot 9mm.  Still, if I could go back I'd get one in 9mm instead of .40S&W.

But I do like the look of the .40S&W slides over the 9mm slides.  And the new models, to me, look like toys.  Get an older one, pre-2004.  You usedtocould get brand new (old model) black 9mm P99s for $350-$400 from CDNN, though I believe they only come with one 10-round magazine.

home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/P991.jpg

home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/P992.jpg

Stop taking pictures of my gun!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Some day I'm getting a Walther P99 more than likely in 9mm. I've owned a S&W 99 .40 for a few years now, and love it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Burn the heretic!

S&W makes a bastardized, mongrelized, twisted abomination of a P99.   It is fit only for the bedding of animals, it is not fit to grace the lowest human's hand.  I'd take even the new P99 over a S&W99. *shudder*
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been considering one myself.  Might even go with a compact as a companion piece - have to look at the Compact as I've only handled the full size.  I usually use BHP and have a bunch, and carry a Kahr MK9 in my pocket in warmer weather.  The comments on here have been encouraging.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I couldn't resist.  This is legit, just came up when I googled:

Sponsored Links
Walther P99
Whatever you're looking for
you can get it on eBay.
www.eBay.com
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/P991.jpg

home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/P992.jpg

The new P99 is actually considerably improved in a few important ergonomic areas, and can accept standard lights.

I like the new P99 better than the old ones by far.

No hump that needs dremeling.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I love mine.

The trigger is the thing that will throw people.

I'm good with the pull.  No problem.

Get the S&W version.  No difference.

Well, other than you can put an M3 on a S&W.

The Walther light is VERY expensive and, proprietarial.

The new P99s will accept standard rail based lights. Only the old style (like mine) require the proprietary light.

And there IS a difference between the quality of the Walther and Smith and Wesson pistols. I have yet to find a Smith version that is as well made as my Walther.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#32]
How do I tell the "old" version from the "new?"  I know of one tht has been at a vendor at gun shows for several months and I'm considering it but, I'd like to be able to use a regular light.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How do I tell the "old" version from the "new?"  I know of one tht has been at a vendor at gun shows for several months and I'm considering it but, I'd like to be able to use a regular light.

The new models do not have a squared off trigger guard.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I have one listed on the equipment exchange.  It's a new version with the Quick Action.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A friend of mine's husband was looking into getting a gun for home defense. He was looking into a Ruger 9mm semi-auto (dont remember which model). I had him research the Ruger, the Beretta, the Sig, and the Walther. After 2 hrs of research, he scratched the Ruger. The Sig was out of his price range, so he scratched that too. We ended up finding the Walther at a sporting goods store near us for $399.00 on sale. The Beretta was $499.00, regular price. Before he bought it, I took him to a range and rented both the Beretta and the Walther, so he could test fire it. After shooting both, he liked both guns, but since the price was right on the Walther, he went back to get that. He has shot it in IDPA matches and held his own (pretty freaking good for a stock gun and a first time shooter). His wife liked the price, plus it was comfortable enough for her to shoot. Actually, after the last time they went to the range, she announced that the Walther was her's and he would have to find another gun of his own. I highly recommend the Walther. Its light, looks nice, isnt too picky on what you feed it (we have shot 500 rnds of WWB out of the thing, without cleaning it, and it would still function flawlessly), and is pretty accurate out of the box. The only other suggestion I would have is to put Trijicons on it. When we did night shooting, the night sights on my Beretta really helped...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You know what my gun looks like. That is the older version.

This is the new version. Notice the lack of a trigger bump, the difference in the slide serrations, and the standard rail that will accept any light.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks very much on the new vs. old info.  It's a great help.

Thanks, SPAM, I'll keep that in mind.  I was hoping to do it locally as a FTF, but if his is the older version I'll keep you in mind.  Though, after my wife gets better, our plans would make AZ a FTF location.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a P99 in .40, it is the QA model. Trigger is very similar to a Glock.
It works well. Comfortable and as accurate as I am capable.
High cap mag only buys you a couple of rounds in .40 and are $$
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I love mine, I bought an "army" model (with a olive green frame) in .40S&W since I have a USP in .40 too.

It comes with three different size backstraps so you can choose the most comfortable size. I have the standard trigger, which I like very much. I am more accurate with it than my USP...

I would highly recommend it...but pistols, like women, are an indivdual taste...

Oh, and James Bond likes 'em too (the Walther, in addition to women....)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Is anyone here using a recoil reducer in their Walther p-99 9mm?  Does it work well if so?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top