Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 2:26:45 AM EDT
from this thread

link

i want to be happy at what i do. not necesarily love it with all my heart, but not HATE going to work.

i enjoy: anything outside, custom guns, ammo, hunting, camping fishing, working with my hands, turning materials into something useful, tinkering, being my families "mr fix it", making something work 'cause i fixed it, Dr. pepper, cooking, being with family, getting to know good people, being the "go to" guy, being the "jack of all trades".

im trying to decide on a major at my collge.

i would like to make enough money to live "comfortably" ( to me, comfortably is a small house, on some acerage, a wife, not having debt, beign able to go somewhere nice "every once in a while" and having enough money to just go out and buy it if i want it.)

so? what says the arfcom?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
from this thread

link

i want to be happy at what i do. not necesarily love it with all my heart, but not HATE going to work.

i enjoy: anything outside, custom guns, ammo, hunting, camping fishing, working with my hands, turning materials into something useful, tinkering, being my families "mr fix it", making something work 'cause i fixed it, Dr. pepper, cooking, being with family, getting to know good people, being the "go to" guy, being the "jack of all trades".

i would like to make enough money to live "comfortably" ( to me, comfortably is a small house, on some acerage, a wife, not having debt, beign able to go somewhere nice "every once in a while" and having enough money to just go out and buy it if i want it.)

I used to like these things as well. Not so much now that I do it for a living. If I had to do it again, I would have done something a little more fitting to my personality (not wanting to be around people 90% of the time) rather than what I did.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Criminal justice.....

Im the same way you are,  as soon as i get out of highschool, municipal police officers accad. then when i hit 21 or when i fell like it, PSP (pa state police)

Shitty spelling due to being up for 24 hours.....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Criminal justice.....

Im the same way you are,  as soon as i get out of highschool, municipal police officers accad. then when i hit 21 or when i fell like it, PSP (pa state police)

i would love a job where i get a gun, but i DO NOT want to be the po-po.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Criminal justice.....

rent a cop
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Criminal justice.....

rent a cop

what would i do wiht it? make fun of it? tempt it with donuts? have it shoot my dog?

i am thinkin about private security though...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Criminal justice.....

rent a cop

what would i do wiht it? make fun of it? tempt it with donuts? have it shoot my dog?

i am thinkin about private security though...

rentacop  / security gaurd,,,,,, all the same
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You sound like an experimental physics kind of guy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
youd rather be a rent a cop/ mall ninja over being a "po-po"  WTF??
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You sound like an experimental physics kind of guy.

that sounds cool.

is there a lot of math? i can handle a little, but lots = no go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

private security as in, the "m" word for a "company" in the "sand box"

not that i have those kind of connections/training
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:55:36 AM EDT
[#11]
you wanna be a merc? for a company? in the sand box

So you wanna be an operator for BlackWater?

Knock yourself out.......  

CONTRACTORS, not MERCS

Go into game development or something............

Better yet, go to the military, see if thats what you want to do.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Po-Po?  Thats what i hate about todays world.  You sound like a gangsta, Po-Po, yea badass.  Well i guess its better than sayin 5-0

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

private security as in, the "m" word for a "company" in the "sand box"

not that i have those kind of connections/training

Better join the military if you want to be able to carry a gun being a contractor. Something in the 03xx or 11B. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Career with a gun?
Physics, Engineering, balistic forensics, chemist, Geology (metals), etc, etc.
You could then :
1.) go to work for Uncle Sam and develop new weapons, gun powder, or hand held "beamz yo".
2.) Go to work for Glock and figure a better way to shoot MT mag, throw at enemy just before teh KB! ()
3.) you get the idea
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with accounting.

One very important thing in a career is the ability to change jobs. There’s just something comforting in knowing that, if things get really bad at work, you can change jobs in a heartbeat. And accountants will always be in demand.

And you don’t necessarily have to be an accountant forever. Learn a trade you might like too, become an electrician or something. With the accounting background you can start your own business and always be able to trust your own accountant. I’ve known businesses that nearly went under because of crooked accountants. If nothing else, just being an accountant will remove one huge expense from any business you plan to start.

I knew one man who just wanted to fish. He became an electrician (good one too) and started his own business. He made enough money to keep his bills paid and to afford his choice of bass boats. Since he controlled his own schedule he could fish whenever he wanted.

If electrician isn’t your thing, learn to operate one of those CNC milling machines and learn metalworking in general. Do that and you can run a small business making custom gun parts on the side.

But learn to be an accountant first. It will open a lot of doors and will give you a way to fund some of your other dreams.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Go with accounting.

One very important thing in a career is the ability to change jobs. There’s just something comforting in knowing that, if things get really bad at work, you can change jobs in a heartbeat. And accountants will always be in demand.

And you don’t necessarily have to be an accountant forever. Learn a trade you might like too, become an electrician or something. With the accounting background you can start your own business and always be able to trust your own accountant. I’ve known businesses that nearly went under because of crooked accountants. If nothing else, just being an accountant will remove one huge expense from any business you plan to start.

I knew one man who just wanted to fish. He became an electrician (good one too) and started his own business. He made enough money to keep his bills paid and to afford his choice of bass boats. Since he controlled his own schedule he could fish whenever he wanted.

If electrician isn’t your thing, learn to operate one of those CNC milling machines and learn metalworking in general. Do that and you can run a small business making custom gun parts on the side.

But learn to be an accountant first. It will open a lot of doors and will give you a way to fund some of your other dreams.

good call.

thanks for the sound advice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

CONTRACTORS, not MERCS

they are MERCS no matter what they call themselves.

i dont pretend to be highspeed. note my comment about it being a "only if" type of job.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Po-Po?  Thats what i hate about todays world.  You sound like a gangsta, Po-Po, yea badass.  Well i guess its better than sayin 5-0

i was joking. take a load off, and calm down. youre still in high school, practice your anger mangagment skills (dont want another JBT randomly shooting dogs)

i was going to say 5-0, but didnt know if that was the correct code, so i went wiht po-po.

i said it in jest.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CONTRACTORS, not MERCS

they are MERCS no matter what they call themselves. SO TRUE!!

i dont pretend to be highspeed. note my comment about it being a "only if" type of job.

Watch it BW, supporters are gonna call you a spaceshuttle door gunner now, me and you will be on each side if it
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CONTRACTORS, not MERCS

they are MERCS no matter what they call themselves. SO TRUE!!

Watch it BW, supporters are gonna call you a spaceshuttle door gunner now, me and you will be on each side if it

i wish i had the skills and training it takes to be a blackwater merc. i dont. i have 1 year of ROTC under my belt and thats it, cause i wont swear allegence to a constitution that dosent apply anymore.

how much is a CNC machine?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
How about becoming a lion tamer or a Lumberjack!

I have always wanted to become a Lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! The Fir! The Larch! The Redwood! The mighty Scots Pine!
The plucky little Aspen! The great limping rude tree of Nigeria!
The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees!
With my best gal by my side, we'd sing, SING...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]
If you like technical work, fixing stuff, I'd get an AS in electronics and learn how to fix medical equipment.  Health care is about as guaranteed stable a field as you will find, and good luck trying to outsource the guy who fixes the MRI machine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How about becoming a lion tamer or a Lumberjack!

I have always wanted to become a Lumberjack!

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! The Fir! The Larch! The Redwood! The mighty Scots Pine!
The plucky little Aspen! The great limping rude tree of Nigeria!
The smell of fresh-cut timber! The crash of mighty trees!
With my best gal by my side, we'd sing, SING...

Heh
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are still in H.S.  I would say look into some branch of the service.  Get some training and life experance.  When you get out in four , use the GI bill to pay for some college.  

Fixing health care equipment is a great idea,  that job will never go away.   I am sure the pay is fair as well.

Forget the rent a cop thing,  seven or eight bucks an hour to guard an empty building.

You said you don't want to be in law enforcement, i can understand at your age.    A buddy of mine is a local cop and he has it very well.  That  field is one of the only left that have true pension plans.  That could almost make it worth wild.

Good luck, you got your whole life in front of you.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#25]
If you like to cook, enroll at a good culinary school.  You will have the opportunity to work anywhere in the world (during your internship period) and when you graduate, you can write your own ticket.  

I hear the private chef field can be very lucrative

--VT
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was joking. take a load off, and calm down. youre still in high school, practice your anger mangagment skills (dont want another JBT randomly shooting dogs)

i was going to say 5-0, but didnt know if that was the correct code, so i went wiht po-po.

i said it in jest.

Your first step would be to change your attitude. What is it that makes you so anti police? Does your lifestyle include activities that are not socially acceptable? If you are doing nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, this shouldn't be such a big problem with you.

NOW is the time to clean up your act. Only then will the answer become clear. Or, just go ahead and fire up that PlayStation. If you REALLY want to do something exciting with your life, you need to take action now. Go down and see the recruiters, and see what they have to offer. It's not just a job...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i said it in jest.

Your first step would be to change your attitude. What is it that makes you so anti police? i am not anti police. i am anti "police execute no knock warrant on senior citizen home, 6 dead" type of stuff. ie, waco. Does your lifestyle include activities that are not socially acceptable? enjoying firearms isnt always socially acceptable, but thats it If you are doing nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, this shouldn't be such a big problem with you. i still want my rights to be respected.

NOW is the time to clean up your act. Only then will the answer become clear. Or, just go ahead and fire up that PlayStation. I have not played a video game in 6 years. i dont watch TV, except for CNN while i eat a sammich in the evening sometimes If you REALLY want to do something exciting with your life, you need to take action now. agreed Go down and see the recruiters, and see what they have to offer. It's not just a job... i understand this site is very pro military (as am i) but its not the career for me thats for sure. i wont swear to someting that doesnt apply anymore. i am in ROTC currently, and its just not for me.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CONTRACTORS, not MERCS

they are MERCS no matter what they call themselves.

No they're not. A "Merc" would sell their skills to anyone who pays them. The contractors in Iraq are just that. They are contracted out to work for corporations supporting OUR government.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: i enjoy: anything outside, custom guns, ammo, hunting, camping fishing, working with my hands, turning materials into something useful, tinkering, being my families "mr fix it", making something work 'cause i fixed it, Dr. pepper, cooking, being with family, getting to know good people, being the "go to" guy, being the "jack of all trades".

Join the World's Greatest Navy® and major in deck scrubbing and compartment cleaning. You can go after pirates, ARRRRRR!

060330-N-7130B-161Persian Gulf (March 30, 2006) - On board the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57), the ship's visit board search and seizure (VBSS) team, takes cover positions with weapons drawn during a boarding training drill. Lake Champlain is part of the Carrier Strike Group (CSG) led by USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), currently deployed as part of a routine rotation of U.S. maritime forces in support of the global war on terrorism, conducting Maritime Security Operations (MSO) in the region. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Aaron Burden (RELEASED)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
from this thread

link

There's a book called "What color is my parachute?" Buy it or get it from a library. Take a Myers-Briggs test. It can narrow down possible career paths which would help you narrow down your selection of majors to study.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting question.

You need something that cannot be outsourced, and something that cannot easily be done by unskilled immigrant labor.

This leaves you 3 possibilities:

Government work:  LEO, Forest service, Firefighter, teacher, etc.    Pros: Unbeatable job security, health and retirement bennies.  

Con's: you have to be comfortable working for the .gov, and being part of the system.

Medical field:  Pros: Growth industry, Good pay and bennies, job security, and job flexibility.  Populated by females.

Cons:  You have to work on sick people, can be emotionally draining, populated by females.

Start your own company

Pros: You determine your hours, pay, and job security.

Cons: "   "                 "          "    "      "      "     "     Very risky financially unless you are organised, hard working, smart and lucky.

The only real advice that matters is "find your real passion and go after it heart and soul"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top