Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:11 AM EDT
A week ago i sold my old hunting truck,took a check from a local guy. Today i see that the check has bounced,now it seems i will end up with about 300.00 in overdraft charges. Well so much for my checking account, i guess i did not need it anyway. I will never be able to cover this much money,they will close my account and i will not be able to get another one because this will be on my credit record.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate people too. We should form a club and never pay our dues because we hate each other's guts for being such anti-social assholes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hate people too. We should form a club and never pay our dues because we hate each other's guts for being such anti-social assholes.

I already stopped paying my dues,because i dont have any money thanks to the jackass that gave me a bad check. Every little purchase i made with my debit card in the last few days will cost me an extra 32.00 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A week ago i sold my old hunting truck,took a check from a local guy. Today i see that the check has bounced,now it seems i will end up with about 300.00 in overdraft charges. Well so much for my checking account, i guess i did not need it anyway. I will never be able to cover this much money,they will close my account and i will not be able to get another one because this will be on my credit record.

I would be looking up the 'local guy' with a large, blunt object.(first impulse)

Then I'd calm down and go after the bastard in court. That ain't right and you should NOT have to pay the charges and other damages.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you get his ass nailed for "theft by check" maybe?

Edit: I sold my truck 2 weeks ago to a guy that used to work where I do, to avoid any possible problem, he went to his bank and withdrew cash to pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you take a personal check without clearing it first???

Even an honest guy can fuckup and write a check on an account that's overdrawn. Don't take personal checks, give away your merchandise and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
actually I was thinking the same thing wouldn't that constitute theft.....couldn't you report the truck stolen.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont know what i am going to do yet, i willcall him today and see what he has to say for himself. But i think small claims court may be in order.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
That sucks..Hope the truck was not worth alot. Another concern is if this guy fails to register it in his name and he gets a parking ticket or something and never pays it you will get a warrant issued an not even know it..
A judge where I lived had that happen to him when he sold a car. Nowdays I get copies of the signed over title and make them go to the tag agency to get it signed over to them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Parking tickets are easy to beat.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a money order next time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
You'll probably like the sticker on the stock of my 50BMG...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You'll probably like the sticker on the stock of my 50BMG...

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/50sbigger/bigbitch.jpg

I do
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That sucks..Hope the truck was not worth alot. Another concern is if this guy fails to register it in his name and he gets a parking ticket or something and never pays it you will get a warrant issued an not even know it..
A judge where I lived had that happen to him when he sold a car. Nowdays I get copies of the signed over title and make them go to the tag agency to get it signed over to them.

As soon as you sign the title as the seller you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.At least that is the way it works here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As soon as you sign the title as the seller you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.At least that is the way it works here.

True, But iif the paper work and title are never transferred  to the DMV you have to prove to the Judge not the LEO (he will just arrest you ) that it was sold.. Is  the only proof of it in the sellers possesion?

With all these traffic cameras around i would i would be concerend. Since he gave you a bounced check he probaly will fail to register it also.

Better for me to prevent  trouble before it starts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Find him and tell him you forget to give him the tire iron. Then hand it over... embedded in his kneecaps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't see where one incident is going to hurt your credit as longa s you can put the problem into context for creditors who ask. Go after the guy in  small claims court
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't see where one incident is going to hurt your credit as longa s you can put the problem into context for creditors who ask. Go after the guy in  small claims court

Yes but with me not working right now there is no way i can fix this mess,which means i will have NSF charges,which means no buisness in this town will take a check from me in the future. I am going back to work next week,but this will be out of control in the next few days, i am fucked.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont know where you are all at but in NH small claims is a fucking joke!  I been trying to get my 3k out of an old landlord and it has been 3+ years now.  The very first time we went in we had all the proof that she had  sold in the past year almost 1 million worth of her property.  Judge wouldnt even see it  He asked her how much she could afford she said 500 a month so thats what he ordered.  We got the first months payment then nothing.  Back to court for contempt charges.   7 months later we back for another date.  He tells her to be better in paying and off we go.   No freaking payment no nothing.  Next month no payment so again we file contempt charges (each time  its 30 bucs outta my pocket)  this time the issue an EBW for her.  She turns herself and and the Judges orders her to pay 30 bucs per week because she cant afford the original order.  WTF.  We got 2 payments and that was it since than.  We about gave up.  FAR more trouble than it was worth!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't take personal checks from anyone unless they are a close friend. There are too many irresponsible people out there that will give you a bad check. Cash, Cashiers Check, or Money Order only!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I like to say that "the world would be a really nice place if it weren't for people."

Sad but true especially if you live in a big city.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I hate people as well. Aside those that I care for,everybody else can go fuck off. In general ,I fuckin' hate people!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Although I will say that now adays,banks will usually honor your check that you deposit from someone else,they will go after HIM for the bad check. Oh,it's also illegal to pass bad checks,so you could go that route as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All you have to do in this case would be show proof that you sold it and you have nothing to do with what the guy does with the truck now.
I had sold a Blazer several years ago and recently got a letter in the mail from the impound lot saying that I owed them several hundred dollars for storage. I called and explained that I'm no longer the owner and had sold it awhile back. They said to just ingore the letter then and that all they have to go by is the last person that shows up as the owner. Apparently the people who I sold the vehicle to , never titled it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I think your mistake was trusting the guy and taking a check. Cash only, my friend, cash only. If they insist upon writing a check, insist that he accompany you to his bank to cash it. If he balks, something fishy is up...

Always remember that most people will screw you over in a heartbeat for some percieved advantage, let alone money. Especially bad are the very religious ones, I find.

I'd try theft by check, and/or talking to the local PD/prosecutor. But maybe give him exactly ONE chance to pay up; no excuses.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Especially bad are the very religious ones, I find.

+1!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

people suck, period
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#27]
CYA.  Cash, money order, cashiers check only.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
No empathy 4U here. A vehicle sale? NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED even from bill gates!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#29]
not sure about ND, but passing a bad check is a felony here and you can take it up with the DA if you really want to be a dick about it.  go to the cocksucker, lay it out that he has to cover the check, AND all fees and penalties you incured from bounce, or his ass gets to go visit the DA
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, But iif the paper work and title are never transferred  to the DMV you have to prove to the Judge not the LEO (he will just arrest you ) that it was sold.. Is  the only proof of it in the sellers possesion?

With all these traffic cameras around i would i would be concerend. Since he gave you a bounced check he probaly will fail to register it also.

Better for me to prevent  trouble before it starts.

Maybe they arrest people for  parking tickets in Texas.  In CA they just send you a notice in the mail that the ticket is unpaid and if you sold the vehicle and somehow managed to not send in the form saying you sold the vehicle.  You call up the DMV, say WTF I sold that heap months ago.  They then tell you to send in the stupid form like you were suposed to in the first place, and the tickets go away (actually they start sending them to the address of the person you sold it to.)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
"I'm in the market for a truck. This one for $300.00 looks perfect for me. Will you take a check?"  Here's your sign.

I hope you're not suprised the check bounced.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Dude I wouldn't even take a check from a local minister when I sold him me used car.   Not that you deserved or asked for this in any way, but you have to protect yourself from just this sort of thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top