Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/17/2001 12:31:41 PM EDT
Just curious. Was thinking of finding a nice plantation with a couple of lakes where I can live free and away from all the crap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:33:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By QuailCountry: Just curious. Was thinking of finding a nice plantation with a couple of lakes where I can live free and away from all the crap.
View Quote
Let us know when you get your plantation set up. Hell I'm come down and pick cotton for ya if ya let me shoot on your property [;)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:47:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AILapua: Slightly under 1000. Ai
View Quote
Ummm, is it OK if I hate you???? Yer livin' my dream man!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:01:13 PM EDT
I want to own 1000+ acres in Maine, Wyoming, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:02:54 PM EDT
Yeah, Texas prairie. Run cattle and raise milo and dry-land wheat. ECS, you don' wanna pick cotton. On the wall of my garage hang a pair of kneepads. They've been there for thirty-some years. Wore 'em pulling 120 pound cotton sacks down the rows. In the summer. In the sun. For weeks. When I think things are going bad I walk out to the garage and look at those kneepads. Unless you've lived off the land you may not realize what it takes. It will make you a better man. Arock out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:04:22 PM EDT
[/quote] Ummm, is it OK if I hate you???? Yer livin' my dream man!!!!!!!!! [/quote] garandman, There are always downsides to everything. I do not have the costs of providing for a wife and kids which makes it much easier for self indulgences Ai
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:10:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AILapua: Slightly under 1000. Ai
View Quote
Ai, how long before the black thugs show up to steal your land ala Zimbabwe? GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:59:00 AM EDT
My family's owned a section and a half in West Texas since 1885. It figures out to be about 960 acres more or less. I have a friend who's a retired FBI agent. He grew up out in the same area and still has a good deal of family out there. He kept asking me 'when are you taking me to your farm?' Based on his former connection to the FBI, I always responded 'as soon as you tell me you don't mind being blindfolded and riding in my trunk.' Actually, I trust him alot. I gave him a brief description of how to get there from Dallas, and, sure enough, when I go to my farm a couple of weeks later, there's his business card on my front gate! It's eight and a half miles off the nearest Farm to Market Road! He learned a lot being in the FBI! I hope to retire there some day. I just gotta bring my own money with me, 'cause there ain't any money out there to be made! Eric The(FarmBoy)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:18:30 AM EDT
The "Environmental Wacko's" own more land than anybody as they lay claim to all land from Florida to Alaska as their's. PETA owns all of the animals on the same land, PETA has just recently acquired the rights to all "Domestic Animals and Sharks" also. Did I leave anything out ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 11:41:50 AM EDT
My father owns roughly 1,300 acres and rents another 500. He just retired from a full time position working for the City, which has enabled him to farm this long. Wish I could say it was going to be mine someday, but even with my semi-decent paying job, I don't think I can afford it. Even if he willed it to me the taxes would be too much. Just hope he lives longer than I do so I can go shooting anytime I want and don't have to worry about the neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:22:31 PM EDT
The wife is 1/4 partner in 1400 acres in the Imperial Valley, 1/4 partner in another 800 and will likely inherit another 1000 from her aunt someday. They do a little hunting on some of the farms down there. Don't think we will ever live there but we might get a mobile home to use during part of the winter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:32:43 PM EDT
I own 70acres with 1/2 mile wilderness designated cutthroat trout stream as my back border and 80 square miles of USFS wilderness on 3 sides - does that count?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 3:49:59 PM EDT
Post from flasht -
..and 80 square miles of USFS wilderness on 3 sides - does that count?
View Quote
Damn straight that counts![>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:38:03 PM EDT
How about 100 acres surrounded by a game reserve???
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2001 8:58:46 PM EDT by Gunplay]
Just closed on 800 in Northern Idaho. When I'm done with the city that's where I'll live.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:44:11 AM EDT
Say Eric, My wife's from Ft. Stockton. We were thinking about moving from the Dallas area to Ft. Davis a few years ago. Folks say if you move out there bring your own money and women, cause there aren't any of either there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:33:25 AM EDT
A bit more than a thousand acres here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:49:33 AM EDT
You know, [b]Arock[/b], those folks are surely correct! I've also found that the only thing you'll find out that direction that's cheap is land! Everything else you'll pay premium prices for, since (1) more transportation costs are involved, and (2) not a whole lotta competition going on out there! Eric The(ButIDoLoveThatCountry&It'sWorthIt!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:42:58 AM EDT
no where near 1k acres...just a small horse ranch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:03:12 AM EDT
After listening to y'all describe your parcels of land I'm going to offer myself up for adoption to any of you land barons. On the plus side: my skills are adaptable to any area (phone techs are needed everywhere), I work hard, learn quickly and have that innate ability to perfectly time the delivery of the next cold beer [:D] On the down side: I come with horses, dogs and cats and there's no room for negotiation on that subject [;)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:09:03 AM EDT
1000 acres in western PA would be an enormous farm. Virtually all the family farms in the part of the state where I grew up were 200 acres or less. That may seem small compared to Western ranches , but the soil and grass are good enough that a family could make a lving from such a farm. I have 28 acres.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:42:54 AM EDT
What sort of taxes do you folks pay per acre?
Top Top