Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:52:14 PM EDT
I changed the oil in the truck today , and it got me thinkin'.

If Crude Oil is running ~ $65/bbl....then these recyclers owe me about $1.18/gallon refund.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I mix it with brush killer and spray it on fence rows.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I set it free, you dont see any free roaming oil anymore do you?  its an endangered species
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not sure what they do with it, because you could recycle it in to other petroleum products, or you could burn it for fuel.  Up north I beleive its pretty common to run a used oil furnace.
Every place I have worked locally, we sell the used oil to a recycler, and use the proceeds to pay the dude to come get the used antifreeze for recycling.  

I have never seen them turn down oil, but let there be just a little contamination in the coolant and they don't want it.

Disposing of waste gasoline is incredibly expensive.  $11.00 per gallon if I remember correctly.

Our oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, axle oils, and whatever assorted nasty chemicals we use with the exception of antifreeze all goes in the oil buckets.  We are almost exclusively using synthetic lubricants, they are handled the same way as regular oil.  Down the same bucket!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I fill up gallon milk jugs with it.  I keep meaning to take it to a shop.  Then, my SHTF/Survivalist side kicks in and says:  Maybe that could be used in a furnace or something.

So, I have like 10 gallons of used oil out in the garage.  

I worked at a mechanics shop that had those used oil furnaces.  They work well...but STINK!  I don't think I'd want to heat my home with one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
local auto parts stores here collect it (waste oil) for free.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Dig a hole and bury it out back.......I mean it came from the ground originally, right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a 55 gallon drum in my home shop.  Once a year we take mine and the neighbors to a local diesel shop.  They swap us for empty drums and burn the used stuff to heat there shop.  There using waste oil heaters.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I take my used oil to our land fill we have a recycling building for waste oil, coolant and batteries.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I do fleet maint on the side, I bring my waste oil to a local garage where they have an oil burner for heat. They stock pile for winter and are always happy to take it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?

Tyler, is that you?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
local auto parts stores here collect it (waste oil) for free.

+1

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I recycle it into the drainage ditch
seriously, back inthe late seventies my dad taught me to get rid of the used oil this way
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
We used it in a waste oil heater at the family business and heated a 100 x40 steel building. After studying the furnance my buddy modified a wood burner to burn it. He used a length of copper tubing, coiled it and pinched it in a few spots to slow the flow to a drip. He would get the wood burner hot and then dump a cup full of oil in the funnel at the top end of the coil and it would slowly run through the coil, the wood stove would burn hot without the same amount of wood. He heated a 2 and a half car garage.  I say burn it.
C.M.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I recycle it into the drainage ditch
seriously, back inthe late seventies my dad taught me to get rid of the used oil this way

Please tell me you'r joking -----  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes I do.

Between my airplane (8qts every 100hrs), my truck and my motorcycle, I do go through some oil for a plain ol joe....

I dump all my used oil in recycling barrels that are strategically located at my airport.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
My wifes uncle mixed several bottles of red chalkline chalk with about 10 gallons of used motor oil, put it in his hand pumped sprayer and painted his barn with it. It stayed nice and red for many years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup I recycle it right into the storm drain..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
What do you mean recycle? I thought you had to keep it for proof of oil change for the insurance/warranty people?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yup I recycle it right into the storm drain..

Keeps the mosquitos from breeding down there, without having to break out my DDT stash!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#21]

I create "manly" scented candles and incense out of it.

Smells like motorpool in the Corps when I meditate.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What do you mean recycle? I thought you had to keep it for proof of oil change for the insurance/warranty people?

They sure get pissed when you mail it in to them for proof.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#23]
straight to my neighbors garden
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top