Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
I paid for ONE ad only to be ran in a local Real Estate magazine. The company ran the ad a 2nd time with out me ordering it and with no approval.

9 Month ago I told the magazine I was not paying for the 2nd ad because:

1- I didn't ask for it to be ran because it generated no leads.

So I get a letter from a collection agency stating that with late fee's etc, the magazine turned me into them for more than 3 times what the ad cost.

So I send an email to the magazine stating that I was not paying it, they are wrong etc. But, I did state I would pay for it if they showed me the FAX confirmation of me approving the ad or an email.

All they sent was TWO ad's (the PDF file of the ad) stating that it is obvious that I wanted the ad ran becuase I made changed to the 2nd ad.

BUT, the 2nd ad was supposed to be the 1st ad (which it was) because one home was taken off the market before the ad ran and I asked for a home to be swapped.

She said she has NO PROOF of me asking for the ad to be ran. She doesn't have the email or the fax. She only has the ad itself.

I have the proof on my side, that I payed for only one ad, and the proof that one contract was expired/ taken off the market and the new one listed BEFORE the 1st ad ran.

What can I do, she said the lawyers can call, or I can tell whomever I want. She wants the money.

Thoughts?

I finally have a great credit rating and I dont want this to hurt it, but I also feel as if she is forcing/ extorting me to pay.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell them to F off.

If they report it on your credit. Dispute it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Civil dispute.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tell them to F off.

If they report it on your credit. Dispute it.

But wont that happen AFTER it posts to the credit reporting agencies? That is what I want to avoid.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Civil dispute.

So what then? Local district court and file a motion to stop them?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Real Estate

Why is it that everything involved with real estate turns into a food fight?

Some of the companies I have as clients are real estate (mortgage brokers, homebuilders, realtors, the whole mix) and it seems to me like everyone hates everyone else and they're all in a big fight for the MONEY, screw everyone else.

Is the RE business really like that, everywhere?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real Estate

Some of the companies I have as clients are real estate (mortgage brokers, homebuilders, realtors, the whole mix) and it seems to me like everyone hates everyone else and they're all in a big fight for the MONEY, screw everyone else.

Actually, no. My wife and I are part owners of the office we work out of and we are getting ready to be approved for another...My wife is our Team Leader..she runs the office..we have close to 200 people selling for us....This is only the 2nd time I have had any kind of problem in 6 years, and so far the pat 6 years have been very enjoyable with little complaints.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Haul their ass into Small Claims Court.  You'll probably win because they probably won't even show and you can file any favorable result with the credit bureaus yourself.

5sub
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Haul their ass into Small Claims Court.  You'll probably win because they probably won't even show and you can file any favorable result with the credit bureaus yourself.

5sub

+1

Next time pay by credit card & let them handle it....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Real Estate

Actually, no. My wife and I are part owners of the office we work out of and we are getting ready to be approved for another...My wife is our Team Leader..she runs the office..we have close to 200 people selling for us....This is only the 2nd time I have had any kind of problem in 6 years, and so far the pat 6 years have been very enjoyable with little complaints.

Glad to hear it.

It's probably just a Las Vegas thing... their behavior definitely makes me not look forward to ever trying to buy a home...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Civil dispute.

So what then? Local district court and file a motion to stop them?

In my state it would be small claims.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
run this ad instead:

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#12]
A little update:

So far all 200 people in my office have since stopped doing business with the rag.

I got another letter from the collections today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top