Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2001 11:54:23 AM EDT
I emailed Century Arms and asked them if they knew their Garands suck. They said "No, we had some problems but they are all fixed now." Do I trust them that thier gun will not jam every other round or blow my fiances face off?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:59:30 AM EDT
Sure, I would trust them. BWAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:05:18 PM EDT
A - My Century M-1 works just fine. B - If they were blowing up, the lawyers would have gotten ahold of it by now and sued Century back into the Stone Age. I'll admit they may not be as nice as an original. But my experience has been positive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:05:31 PM EDT
Sorry about that. Get a CMP Garand. USGI or Danish reimport. Guaranteed. USGI = $500.00, Danish = $400.00 www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:09:18 PM EDT
I heard some of those CMP's can be a bit rough around the edges but at least thier mil-spec right. Century Arms has a new, non spec receiver.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:14:49 PM EDT
My Century M-1 = $300. Well aware of the CMP rifles. Expect I will have one someday. But this one came along at the right price at the right time. Danish stock and barrel. Springfield bolt and trigger group. Stock looks like it was used as a fence post, but he barrel is bright and the trigger group excellent. Not the prettiest pig in the barn, but it works. No complaints.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:18:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:22:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By operatorerror: Sorry about that. Get a CMP Garand. USGI or Danish reimport. Guaranteed. USGI = $500.00, Danish = $400.00 www.odcmp.com
View Quote
FYI- CMP does NOT guarantee anything about safety/performance of their M1s. They clearly state all sales are "AS-IS". However, I would take my chances with a CMP luck of the draw over the Century "Frankengun".
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:22:42 PM EDT
The big problem with Century rifles is the receiver. They are purported to be out of spec. Heard a lot of bad things about them. No personal experience though. Hey, if yours is good, great! I would not take the chance. I don't believe that they are dangerous, just supposed to be unreliable and somewhat sloppy. My CMP's are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:30:38 PM EDT
Why would you buy a Century when you can have a USGI original for $50 more????? As far as your question, if you gotta ask the question, you'd never understand the answer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 12:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2001 12:42:46 PM EDT by crowboy]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:08:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:19:44 PM EDT
century = crap pure and simple
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:58:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: Presented without comment... [url]http://www.fultonarmory.com/CAI-TI.htm[/url]
View Quote
I'll comment. The receiver is an absolute P.O.S. The VAR barrel is better than U.S.G.I.. If you shoot in the J.C. Garand matches I recommend trying one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:04:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:39:16 PM EDT
It's not just the $50-$150 larger price tag on the CMP rifle. You also have to include the membership fee for one of their "blessed" clubs. Also, you have to compete in one of their "blessed" matches. Don't forget all of the time to jump through all of the government mandated hoops. My nephew wants a "real" M1 from the CMP, and we've written to every single one of their approved clubs in the state about a match (well, that we could find an address for, the CMP was no help). Not a one has bothered to reply. How are you supposed to jump through their hoops if we can't even find them? Sometimes I think the CMP exists more to keep rifles out of our hands than it does to sell them. Instead, last week we ordered an M1 parts kit for $180 from AIM Surplus. It took about 10 minutes, and we received it two days later. And, Bryan from AIM guaranteed that all of the parts would be there and would work. You certainly don't get that guarantee from the CMP. A local dealer has a couple of Entréprise receivers for $300 that we're planning on using if we don't find something better. I wish Clint sold just a M1 receiver. That would be a great solution. They do sell a receiver, bolt and installed (top quality) barrel for $700, but that's a lot more than we want to spend. He'd rather have a real GI M1 from the CMP and the same rifle his father and I carried in Korea, but that just wasn't possible.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:49:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zoom: It's not just the $50-$150 larger price tag on the CMP rifle. You also have to include the membership fee for one of their "blessed" clubs. Also, you have to compete in one of their "blessed" matches. Don't forget all of the time to jump through all of the government mandated hoops. My nephew wants a "real" M1 from the CMP, and we've written to every single one of their approved clubs in the state about a match (well, that we could find an address for, the CMP was no help). Not a one has bothered to reply. How are you supposed to jump through their hoops if we can't even find them? Sometimes I think the CMP exists more to keep rifles out of our hands than it does to sell them. Instead, last week we ordered an M1 parts kit for $180 from AIM Surplus. It took about 10 minutes, and we received it two days later. And, Bryan from AIM guaranteed that all of the parts would be there and would work. You certainly don't get that guarantee from the CMP. A local dealer has a couple of Entréprise receivers for $300 that we're planning on using if we don't find something better. I wish Clint sold just a M1 receiver. That would be a great solution. They do sell a receiver, bolt and installed (top quality) barrel for $700, but that's a lot more than we want to spend. He'd rather have a real GI M1 from the CMP and the same rifle his father and I carried in Korea, but that just wasn't possible.
View Quote
The CMP inspects and test fires every rifle that goes out. The disclaimer is to cover their asses on 60 year old rifles. I have seen many CMP rifles, they all ran like they should. If AIM guarantees all the parts in their kits will gauge within specs, they are lying. The only way to tell is to check every part of every kit. That's a costly and time consuming endeavor. I'm not saying they won't be O.K. I'm just saying they can't know for sure. You may end up with as much money in an enterprise wannabe M-1(once you get it built) than if you had just done the process for a real M-1. There are ways around the shooting part. You've got to know someone who fits into one of the catagories that are entitled to a waiver and Riverside Gun club in Ramsuer N.C. will give them an assc. membership for $20.00 to fill the membership requirement. If you already have the parts kit, buy the receiver from the CMP. Have a friend who gets the shooting waiver do it if you have to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:00:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Darin_Marple: century = crap pure and simple
View Quote
ditto. I won't lay a finger on one thing from CAI.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2001 4:22:45 PM EDT by QCMGR]
My CMP M-1 is like new.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:41:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:00:07 PM EDT
Sukebe, you're exactly right that we'll probably end-up spending more to build a frakengun, but my nephew has given-up on finding a match to compete in and someone the CMP will recognize to signoff on the scorecard. He sent in a copy of a record book showing where he fired 100 pistol shots in an NRA match, and had it signed by an NRA certified instructor who was the range officer, but the CMP didn't accept it. You do have a good point that it's still not too late to buy a receiver from them. Their refinished receiver is only $250. We already have all of the parts and a barrel with a great looking bore to go with it. Thanks for the pointer to the club in Ramsuer. They're 150+ miles each way from us. I had thought he'd join [url]http://www.garandcollector.org/[/url] for $20 per year to complete that requirement, and it includes their (from what I hear) nice newsletter.
There are ways around the shooting part. You've got to know someone who fits into one of the categories that are entitled to a waiver...
View Quote
That isn't legal! The paperwork you have to sign states that:
I am purchasing this rifle for my personal use and not for resale or other commercial disposition.
View Quote
If you could simply have someone else order the rifle from the CMP, then I would have already sent them a copy of my discharge papers and we'd have the rifle. I asked the CMP what the penalty for ignoring the above restriction would be (under the guise that I was asking about CMP M1's I'd seen at shows), and they stated that the law specifies a punishment of up to five years in a federal prison. I'm not going to play around with that. My original point was that the CMP Garands aren't simply $X more expensive than the Century M1's. You also have to include your time and money spent to jump through all of the CMP's hoops.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:11:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2001 5:10:10 PM EDT by Sukebe]
Zoom, Since your a veteran buy the receiver and "give" it to him. No resale or other commercial disposition there. Then he could just give you a gift of $250.00 say for your birthday or Christmas. I think the spirit of the law is to keep licensed dealers from buying them up and price gouging at the gunshows and what not. I doubt the CMP police will be beating down any doors looking for the receiver but I understand your desire to stay within the law. Nothing so comforting as a clear conscience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:34:18 PM EDT
I got a great M1 at a gun show in Atlanta for $675. It was in perfect condition, rebuilt obviously with new stock. I got it from an individual, no paper work, exercising my gun show loop hole rights.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:37:11 PM EDT
ALL YOUR GARANDS ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!.................[dracula]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:13:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raf: Zoom, anything worthwhile is worth some effort. If you can't see your way clear to going through the hoops, then [b][i]perhaps[/b][/i] you don't have the self-discipline to be a gun owner anyway. Time to grow up, and see the world for what is really is.
View Quote
Hey 'raf', Perhaps you're an a$$hole. Then again, maybe not. Bets anyone?
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 7:06:04 AM EDT
Black-guns, I was thinking about posting the SAME thing! Made me laugh.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:52:08 PM EDT
The problem with building an M1 from from a questionable comercial recvr or even a GI is will the used barrel headspaced to a different recvr in a different country !! work in your franken M1 . You just might end up coughin up more $$$ for another barrel unless Billy Bob the gunsmith doesn't tell you the H-space is bad. Where I live Big 5 sells the century Garands for $ 699 and can't keep them in stock !! As for the CMP , none of the ones I have recieved has been bad, Just got another beauty of an H&R service grade that is worth more than the $ 519.95 I paid for it !
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2001 5:03:53 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Top Top