Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 12:44:45 PM EDT
while we seem to have a number of people who are less than serious about firearms, lets called them interested members..

i am constantly amazed at the gear..and seriousness of personal gear and armament by our hardcore members..
myself included..

i cant help but think..that alot of our members ARE better prepared mentally and technilogically than most city and state police forces..

look at the numbers of vets here..
look at the numbers of LEO's...with personal gear or who are with departments who issue and train appropriately.
look at the numbers of people who shoot competitively ..

then lets look at the intelligence of the boards..we genuinely have a wide variety of individuals from all backgrounds who post routinely that seem to be very skillfull and intelligent individuals.

i am constantly amazed..

how much carnage could we cause????
after seeing the stuff but on in IRAQ..by a few pros with amatuers.

i think that it would pail in comparison to ARFcom..

PS..i like the idea of the security team..

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm still waiting for the quesion...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+?

what he said
it's a trap!
eject, eject, eject
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

muddydog is making an observation; that many people on this board is better prepared than many local PDs.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

muddydog is making an observation; that many people on this board is better prepared than many local PDs.  

Yes, but the title of the thread is:  "Gentlemen and women of the board...a question."
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
IBN_T

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but the title of the thread is:  "Gentlemen and women of the board...a question."

yay for reading comprehension!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So........uh........how about that question?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#9]
TheRedHorseman: Yeah, there seems to be a little disconnect between his title and his post, but many of us have been guilty of this situation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
My first IBNT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry..i had a labrador issue..

she needed a attention and laid her head on the keyboard..
my apologies..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
while we seem to have a number of people who are less than serious about firearms, lets called them interested members..

i am constantly amazed at the gear..and seriousness of personal gear and armament by our hardcore members..
myself included..

i cant help but think..that alot of our members ARE better prepared mentally and technilogically than most city and state police forces..

look at the numbers of vets here..
look at the numbers of LEO's...with personal gear or who are with departments who issue and train appropriately.
look at the numbers of people who shoot competitively ..

then lets look at the intelligence of the boards..we genuinely have a wide variety of individuals from all backgrounds who post routinely that seem to be very skillfull and intelligent individuals.

i am constantly amazed..

how much carnage could we cause????
after seeing the stuff but on in IRAQ..by a few pros with amatuers.

i think that it would pail in comparison to ARFcom..

PS..i like the idea of the security team..

Found it!

Under what circumstances?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
TheRedHorseman: Yeah, there seems to be a little disconnect between his title and his post, but many of us have been guilty of this situation.

Many of us are guilty of far worse.  Which brings up the question, does anyone remember Kukla, Fran, and Ollie?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many of us are guilty of far worse.  Which brings up the question, does anyone remember Kukla, Fran, and Ollie?
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Dwoog34/KuklaFranandOllie.jpg

yep.
didn't they show short films like "fatty and skinny"
"OMATSU!!!!"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
circumstances..i think that would be moot..

i never really thought about it much until video of the minutemen started showing up...and the vids from IRAQ..

just the shear possibilities..alone are astounding.

we have chemists..engineers..medical people of all kinds of backgrounds..that i assume do their job competently..
mechanical types..the list goes on and on.

then you can think about the gear we have..and play with
combine everything..and think about it..

its no wonder the government probably watches us like hawks..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
"how much carnage could we cause????"

There's at least this question.  If a poll were taken, we would see  high ratings for the hopefuls and extremely low ratings for the realists.

Hopefuls actually believing we could "organized and motivate" to develop an action and plan and campaign.

Realists knowing that we are all lazy and tired and "that we actually do depend upon somebody else (government?) to  "do" things for us.

Years ago when the floods came and the barn burned, people just bailed out and rebuilt.  Now, we're better at complaining and blaming. Frankly, I don't think we are of the same mettle.

Are we really recourceful enough, self-reliant enough, independent enough, motivated enough??

It is easy to accumulate ammo and "survival" gear and read the manuals...how many really prefer to sit in front of the TV and just watch the "survival video" instead of eating the weeds or getting out and putting ourselves in the cold and miserable conditions of a snowhut in the remote wilderness?  
 And for those of us who have faught in wars, do we really want to do it again?  How many of  the old timers are ready to instinctively and spontaneously charge a machine gun nest for the glory?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prepared for what, exactly? Just what do you expect PDs to "prepare for", without a  howl of objections from some people here about the "militarization of LEOs"?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
a lot of people can talk a big game on an anonymous internet board, too
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
and in PDs some officers are better prepared than others even if they have the same equipment, Maybe it is more mental preparedness, planning, and the will to survive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
What we have here is what some would call a "mongrel bunch" of mostly Americans. That being somewhat redundant but. When the time has come Americans from all walks of life and educations band together.
Yes the "pros" know to estimate low because they know Murphy.
The wannabee's estimate high as they have never been there done that.
If we were all located in a small area we would have the Gov. on our door step everyday. But we are spread over a large area.
As a group together effective leadership would be able to pull the resouces together and use them to the best abilities.
Just as has been done in the past, the farmboy who spent his time hunting used his experiance with a rifle, the engineer in a squad without the combat engineers was able to use his knowledge to win.
While the question was not stated clearly, I caught the jest of the thread, and all it would take is leadership to effect max. damage.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#22]
90% of the people on this board would starve or die of dehydration.
Very few stock anything for "SHTF" besides guns and ammo.
Given their lack of forethought on that issue, I doubt they have the mental agility to carry out much of an insurgency on their own.

ETA: +1 to what tc556guy said.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Any attempt at what you are implying would just be another Waco, Ruby Ridge, or OKC

And that's exactly how everyone will se it....

As for co-conspirators...

99.9% of the retired active duty military would be out

Probably about 98% of the former/present LEOs

So that leaves the guys who think they're up to infantry skill level on their own, with no practical experience outside of tactical-training courses....

Oh, btw, those 'ameturs' in the ME arent causing as much carnage as the media would like you to believe, they have a currently limitless recruit pool, and they have no qualms about attacking civillians...

Finally, in your little fictional scenario, what justification would you have for your carnage... You see, if you are going to attempt such things you have to work out the politics beforehand - otherwise you will be seen as Koresh, Weaver, or McVeigh - And BTW, most of the country sees those 3 as a suicidal cult leader, a criminal, and a terrorist.

So think about that....

As I've said before, any 'take it back revolution' wouldn't last a week - you'd loose, and everyone even remotely involved would be villified for the rest of their lives....

Remember that every time someone repeats 'from the rooftops' or whatever...

If that's your idea of voting, be prepared to lose the election. We live in a revolution-proof nation - it's been that way since the 1860s, if not before...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

According to the recent thread on I.Q., pretty much everyone that posted in it is a genius.  

You might want to take that with a tiny grain of salt.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't see my role as "wreaking havoc" though.

I see it as a repository of knowledge. Of leadership. Of tools for survival.

I see my preparations as a way of getting my friends, family and neighbors thru tough times if needed.

I see my role as a 47 year Marine Corps Vet, father, and MD as a teacher and a mentor.

As for the gov't, they can watch me all they want.
I am sure they pay attn to this site and others but I also think that most people are way more concerned about it than they should be.  You have the right to speak your piece and the RKBA. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
well it would be pretty impressive even with the 10% rule in effect..

not that any of us would do some thing bizarre..and go on a spree..the fact that we seem to have so many "stable" individuals on a gun board of this nature is testament to how sound we are..

nothing that the libs..rant about when talking of AW's.

but the fact that it takes 15-20 policemen to handle an incident regarding a sinlge perp armed with only a handgun in some situations..is something to think about.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
but the fact that it takes 15-20 policemen to handle an incident regarding a sinlge perp armed with only a handgun in some situations..is something to think about.

How many do you think it should take? The point there is that you have to end the situation with no loss of innocent life. Overwhelming superiority of numbers assures as best as can be done that there will be a positive outcome. It has nothing to do with a PD being "prepared" or "unprepared".
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Many of us are guilty of far worse. Which brings up the question, does anyone remember Kukla, Fran, and Ollie

better question is what was kukla.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top