Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2006 12:23:27 PM EDT
While many people may find tarantulas disgusting or terrifying, you might be one of those few who find them completely fascinating! If you've ever wanted to keep a tarantula as a pet, here's how to get started...

wiki.ehow.com/Pick-a-Pet-Tarantula
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:28:02 PM EDT
paging Dr frige
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
paging Dr frige

Simply send the possible pets to DrFrige's house for inspection. Have 1shott judge the best one based upon the quality of the scream.

SBG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 12:53:31 PM EDT by John Parker]
I had a little black baby with iridescent indigo stripes down his legs as a pet for a couple months when I was in Haiti back in 95. Made a water bottle terrarium for him. Named him Boris after The Who song. When I was there they were everywhere in little burrows. I beleive that they were Haitian Browns. Dont know much more than that.

Sniff! Looks just like my little boy!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:57:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:32:37 PM EDT
I kept looking at those pictures and stomping my foot. Auto response to the site of spiders
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:29:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
paging Dr frige

Dang it beat me to it
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:03:07 PM EDT
I had one, all the damn thing did was stay still. I got sick of poking at it to see if it was still alive, and gave it away.

The guy I bought it from said if I handled it to be cafeful not to drop it as it would crack like and egg.

Boring pet!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:57:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:00:52 AM EDT
Imagine a sick f*Ck that enjoys beating off on large spiders...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 3:04:41 AM EDT by Zaphod]
I can think of a few ways to pick a Tarantula:

Of course, there's always fire!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:15:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:16:50 AM EDT
How to pick a Tarantula..............

First pick one of those creepy little buggers and try and put it in your hand,

If it does not bite you, your off to a good start....

Next, pop it in your mouth and make it feel right at home.

If it does not bite you, your off to a good start...................

IF IT DOES BITE YOU............... Spit it out and repeat the process!!!!!

Slug-O-Matic

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:19:12 AM EDT
You get used to seeing huge fricken spiders in Korea. You leave them alone...they leave you alone...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:47:05 AM EDT
Tag for when caring for a spider might pique my interest.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:53:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:14:01 AM EDT
I had a couple of them when I was a kid. They live along time. As long as you handle them lightly and slowly, they will not bite you - I was never bitten. I guess they were part of a kid's general fascination with reptiles, snakes, and other "creepy" things.

The most entertaining thing was to drop some live crickets into the terrarium and watch them be picked off and eaten one by one. Totally wild.

My last one stopped eating after a while, and I had to force feed her sugar water from an eyedropper. Eventually, she died anyway.

Overall, I would not recommend them as a pet, because they are not very entertaining much of the time, and there is certainly no kind of bond or anything like that that develops.

The one thing that the experience did do for me is to pretty much cure me of any fear of spiders or other things of that nature, which I guess is worth something.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:58:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:59:32 AM EDT by Tras]

The one thing that the experience did do for me is to pretty much cure me of any fear of spiders or other things of that nature, which I guess is worth something.

Tarantulas, or most other spiders don't bother me much at all.

OTOH,

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:58 AM EDT
they used to scare me just looking at them so 1 time at a pet store I took the plunge and told the guy holding 1 to let it walk into my hand, wasn't such a big thing after all, they weigh nothing and you really don't feel anything.
I've never really been scared of them since, but I wouldn't really want to scoop 1 I didn't know up either, some are agressive.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:04:26 AM EDT
Yeah, but those are just big ass spiders. We don't qualify as food to them, so they could (accidently) walk on us and not bite us at all. You can direct how a spider walks by lightly brushing its rear legs on the side you want it to walk away from, btw...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 7:08:24 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
This is the only spider I like:

And I like it like this: ETA except that should be butter, not cocktail sauce
Top Top