Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:11:27 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been debated before here. However, I own a 04 F-250 crew cab, V10, long bed and I wasted my whole saturday looking for an 06 F-250 in V10, 4X4, long bed, XLT - NO LUCK! I'm in so cal and called nearly every dealer...a conservative estimate would be over 20 dealers from Victorville down to San Diego.

From what I gathered last week there was 7 available statewide. As of yesterday early afternoon 5 available in the state 2 of which are red and 1 silver that I don't want. That leaves according to the info i have  1 oxford white and 1 dark stone - I want the dark stone.  Now every dealer is telling me they will dealer trade for it. I want to deal directly with the dealer who has it in their inventory.  

So it's 0802 sunday morning and I'm about to give up and pick up a Lariat trim factory add-on's(don't really care for the higher price tag either) at a local dealer.  

So my frustration has led me to question why I don't jump on the diesel bandwagon. Thus far my attitude has been I don't need a loud, heavy, +5K price tag diesel. My 04 gas 250 has under 14K miles. About the only thing I have towed with my truck are a cousins trailer for a Laughlin trip, I use my truck for desert shooting trips and baja beach camping. Other than that I pull off my driveway and I'm at work in 2 minutes.  So school me you internet bandits....

Diesel: longer engine life
            higher resale value?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Powerstroke - no question.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Diesel, if you can justify the cost.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Powerstroke.

The V10 is a pig.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
That V-10 hauls ass, I've burnt so much rubber. I believe diesel is slower in reaction time from a full stop than a gas engine.  

I don't know man...the clock is tickin.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Always Deisel.

BTW, your a poser, just like those Harley riders that are dentist's. You have every right to own what you want to, but what the hell do you need that shit for?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That V-10 hauls ass, I've burnt so much rubber. I believe diesel is slower in reaction time from a full stop than a gas engine.  

I've burned a lot of rubber in a diesel.  The rice rockets think they can race you, til the turbo kicks in. Be careful though.  They like to cruise at 75.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've burned a lot of rubber in a diesel.  The rice rockets think they can race you, til the turbo kicks in. Be careful though.  They like to cruise at 75.

I'm embarrassed over the black marks my truck has been laying down.

You honestly won't believe what those 6.0's will do when you get the tires broke loose and the engine in the powerband.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If you wait 6 months, Ford is coming out with late year F-250 with a V12.  They figured that if it makes a Ferrari move that fast, it should be fine for the 250.

I also heard that in 2007, Ford is skipping ahead 10 cylinders and coming out with a V-22.  Seems their marketing guys want to tie into the popularity of  the F-22 Raptor.

I personally would hold out until they make a V-44 magnum, or a razor with 17 blades.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
It's ---> you're

Don't start with the poser crap. This board is a poser refuge. I've been around this place much longer than my handle date.

Really though..I'm in so cal. The land of Hummers, lifted trucks, vettes, rice rockets. Most if not the majority of lifted trucks here are for pure looks and definitely not hitting trails.

The reason I bought the truck was as I stated in my initial post. Baja beach (read: on the beach) camping, of which I have been stuck before my F-250. Desert shooting of which I have been stuck before getting my F-250.

I told the salesman when he asked me, "Well what do you NEED it for?"
I said, "I don't need it....I'm getting it because I CAN."
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you wait 6 months, Ford is coming out with late year F-250 with a V12.  They figured that if it makes a Ferrari move that fast, it should be fine for the 250.

I also heard that in 2007, Ford is skipping ahead 10 cylinders and coming out with a V-22.  Seems their marketing guys want to tie into the popularity of  the F-22 Raptor.

I personally would hold out until they make a V-44 magnum, or a razor with 17 blades.

Ass monkey. you're jokin right
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Diesel.  I have an  '02  F350 Powerstroke.  I love the way they "talk" to ya.  Great mileage.  Turbo is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok question.

Are only certain models turbo diesel?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
All you diesel fans out there are forgetting to let the thread-writer know that the extra cost of the Power-stroke and the 5 speed special transmission ADDS 6K to the price of the vechicle.  So, with diesel fuel much higher than unleaded, please try to justify the cost savings to me.  I have a V-10 in my '03 E350 van and yes, it is a gas pig.  I haul around 1500 pounds of parts/equipment in my van and it still hauls ass but yes, at almost nothing better than 11 mpg. ( remember also, I have the dual
ladders/ladder rack inconvientely not slicing throught he air).  If you want to rant about putting 400k miles on the motor, I agree it could easily do that and more, but won't the rest of the vehicle be headed for the junkyard by then ( with an average of 25k year = 16 years ).  So, IMO if you are not
going to be driving 75k+ miles a year for 5 years, the V-10 would be the cheapest and most sensible route to go.

AC
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All you diesel fans out there are forgetting to let the thread-writer know that the extra cost of the Power-stroke and the 5 speed special transmission ADDS 6K to the price of the vechicle.  So, with diesel fuel much higher than unleaded, please try to justify the cost savings to me.  I have a V-10 in my '03 E350 van and yes, it is a gas pig.  I haul around 1500 pounds of parts/equipment in my van and it still hauls ass but yes, at almost nothing better than 11 mpg. ( remember also, I have the dual
ladders/ladder rack inconvientely not slicing throught he air).  If you want to rant about putting 400k miles on the motor, I agree it could easily do that and more, but won't the rest of the vehicle be headed for the junkyard by then ( with an average of 25k year = 16 years ).  So, IMO if you are not
going to be driving 75k+ miles a year for 5 years, the V-10 would be the cheapest and most sensible route to go.

AC

I see now why the earlier post mentioned the V10 being a pig.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]
If your going to USE it, get the diesel.
If your just wanting a cool big toy, get the V10.

Nothing, but NOTHING, beats a diesel for raw pulling power.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
BTW, your a poser, just like those Harley riders that are dentist's. You have every right to own what you want to, but what the hell do you need that shit for?

You mean as opposed to the genuine Harley rider who's nothing but a fucking complete moron and an inconsiderate asshole?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#20]
get the diesel
my dad had a V10 dodge. got about 10mpg and that was highway with 3 people and a couple suitcases. not exactly a heavy load
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The diesel would be the way to go if the money is available.  The V10 is less expesive up front, but the diesel is a better puller.  I have a 2004 V10 extended cab long bed.  I got nearly 12 MPG until I stuck the swampers on it and now I have about 10.5-11.   By the way my swampers are not much larger than stock.  Either way you will be happy.

Mike

PS take the ARFCOM route and get both.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, so I'll be heading out shortly to check out a V10, long bed, crew cab lariat (black leather) and then head out to san bernardino to check out a couple of diesels.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#24]
If your mostly doing short trips (2 miles to work) stick with the gasser.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Get the diesel.

But if you get a new truck every two years the diesel might not be the truck for you. The powerstorke will add $5,000 to the cost of the truck, and with a diesel your oil changes will cost more. I think the powerstroke uses 14 quarts of oil. If you change your oil at a "Rapid oil" place it will cost $60 to 100 every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

Diesel costs more than gas, but you do get better mileage. My friends who own 7.3L Powerstrokes get about 19 to 22 mpg vs my 5.4LV8 which is around 14 to 16.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
About the only thing I have towed with my truck are a cousins trailer for a Laughlin trip, I use my truck for desert shooting trips and baja beach camping.

Then why the fuck do you need a giant fuel hog?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]
From what you are saying, you could get away with the 5.4 for your needs. However between the 2 choices you gave, the V10 will be your best choice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#28]
For what purpose are you going to use your new truck?  ie possibly towing a boat or a trailer, hauling gravel for a construction site?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#29]
dude im sorry but your a idiot. if your just going off roading a little and not towing anything why didnt you get the normal triton V8? i cringe everytime i see a V10. the powerstroke gets way better MPG mine gets 18 in town and 21 on the highway. sure they cost more but you will be able to drive them easly into the 300k mile range they are made to last along damn time and not lose any horse or torque. oooo did i mention they have shitloads of that to? take my word your V10 has nothing on any powerstroke.  mine is very very fast and when the turbo kicks in its game over for your V10.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No doubt about it.

Powerstroke, no comparison
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The powerstroke is buy far the better engine.
I have spend a lot of time in powerstroke trucks, and abused the hell out of them (Ambulance).
Normal maintance costs can be higher but is not done as offten.
IMHO in your area the engine will outlast the body.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Powerstroke + chip + 4" exhaust + New Air Intake =

+ Drop a whole Bank's kit in the truck =

+ Fuel Bill =  

SBG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+ Fuel Bill =  

SBG

Actually the hot setup is a SCT tuner with a race file, MBRP 4" exhaust, stock filter.  Should get you into the high 13's

That being said, I have a 05 PSD and I absolutly love it!!!  Wouldn't trade it for anything....well maybe the new Z06
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#34]
It would be retarted to get the diesel for the things you will use it for you will never make up the fuel cost savings if your gonna sell it in 2 years like you are with your current truck.  why don't you just use the money you'll be losing on the trade and do shit to your current truck.  I like diesel pickups but it really wouldn't make sense and I bet if you get a diesel you'll want to bomb it which will narrow the fuel gap.  What do you do for a living cause trading a truck after 2 years that you seem to like seems like you got a lot of cash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ Fuel Bill =  

SBG

Actually the hot setup is a SCT tuner with a race file, MBRP 4" exhaust, stock filter.  Should get you into the high 13's

That being said, I have a 05 PSD and I absolutly love it!!!  Wouldn't trade it for anything....well maybe the new Z06

Don't forget the propane!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I have owned both, 04 F-250 powerstroke and 04 F-250 v10. My advice, own neither both crap.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean as opposed to the genuine Harley rider who's nothing but a fucking complete moron and an inconsiderate asshole?

Oh snap, I just blew Diet Coke out of my nose.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have owned both, 04 F-250 powerstroke and 04 F-250 v10. My advice, own neither both crap.

As a caveat, I would say that I have never liked the reliability of the 6.0L, as much, when compared to the older 7.3L.

SBG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
From what you are saying, you could get away with the 5.4 for your needs. However between the 2 choices you gave, the V10 will be your best choice.

The 5.4 gets maybe one mile per gallon more than the 6.8, and it is a LOT less powerful. If you drive somewhat aggressively, you will probably get better mileage with the bigger engine, because it doesn't struggle like the 5.4.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Powerstroke, but ONLY the 7.3.
The 6.0 is too  problematic, and is being replaced in '07.
Plus you have a boatload of accessory options for more power and MPG.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Powerstroke, but ONLY the 7.3.
The 6.0 is too  problematic, and is being replaced in '07.
Plus you have a boatload of accessory options for more power and MPG.

Agree,and I have a 6.0! TONS of power,but doubt they have the rock solid reliability of the 7.3.

PLUS,if you're doing any ofroading,any diesel is a PIG.Weighs so much,the front end sinks.
Now if you're towing heavy weight,diesel is the only way to fly.I've got to watch the speedo-you simply forget you've got 10,000lb behind you! V10 will do everything you need and then some.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, I went to the dealer with the wife and baby and picked up a F-250 6.0 PSD Lariat. Looks like I got a good deal. Leather seats and all the accessories that come with the lariat trim.  I'm stoked. Didn't test drive it either. Wife drove it home. I drove it to the store for a six pack and gallon of milk just now...hope I wasn't haulin too much weight.

Window sticker ----> www59.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/Dispatch.jsp?.CurrentState=VirtualLotSearchWindowSticker&VIN=1FTSW21P06ED39772
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#44]
by the way...DIESEL ROCKS.. F*CK YO COUCH N***A
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
owned a V10 at one point... for a year and a half i think ?

owned a Powerstroke 6.0 for 2 1/2 years, and now i own another Powerstroke 6.0

if you do alot of towing, Powerstroke it.   especially if fuel prices continue to suck... heck, diesel costs mor ethan gas right now, but youll get better mileage with the Powerstroke anyways

my truck

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#46]
awesome almost got that color
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#47]
It amazes me the amount of people who trash the V10, have NEVER driven or owned one.

I have both, and the V10 is driven three times more than the PS.

PS for towing, gas for daily driver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Diesel is awsome... but overall, the PowerStroke has a piss-poor reputation in comparison to what Dodge and Chevy offer.

Though, I'd prefer the Ford truck... their diesel has a poor reputation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#49]
If you don't tow anything heavy, stick with the V10... it's a really good engine that only gets 1mpg less than the 5.4, costs $5000 less and gas is about 50 cents cheaper a gallon than diesel fuel at the moment.

Also considering your short trip to work, all those quick trips without the engine reaching full operating temperature would be murder on a diesel.

Given your circumstances, I'd say you would be much better served by a F-150. Unless you got short **** syndrome and just 'need' a bigger truck.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Congrats on the new ride! You made a great choice. I've got an '05 PSD and it flat out rocks - stop by www.powerstroke.org if you've got any questions about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top